George Lucas' New Ruling on TCW's Canon Status

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Nowhereman10
Bridge Officer

George Lucas' New Ruling on TCW's Canon Status

Post by Nowhereman10 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 am

I just have to comment here that poor Leeland Chee must rip his hair out every time George Lucas says something like this in an interview. >:]

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Re: List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:03 am

so basically now that it's higher canon than anything but the films it looks like the ICS is officially and totally invalid. I mean KT level fire power would be a high end showing by this

mojo
Starship Captain

Re: List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS

Post by mojo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:02 am

good christ breetai, let's take it one step at a time, man. it will be months before we've come close to getting a concession that this quote is accurate, if ever. we should wait until that happens before delving straight into it's implications.

honestly not trying to be an asshole, it's just that it seems like when we run with something instead of taking small logical steps, what happens is that the whole matter gets rejected in whole by the wars contingent. can you imagine if you had made that comment while swst was still with us? within minutes, sdn would have it's entire braintrust (lol) working nonstop on ways to throw out the lucas quote.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: George Lucas' New Ruling on TCW's Canon Status

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:56 am

Splitting off the topic from this post by Rogerd:
Rogerd wrote:I suppose most of you have seen this:

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/59 ... darth-maul

Basically TCW CGI is now of equal canon as the movies, post and prequel trilogy.
It'll be interesting to see what the excuses will be over this one, that's for sure.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:48 pm

Actually, this quote simply re-inforces the fact that TCW was T-Canon, which was above C-canon (ICS and all books except film novelisations), and just below G-Canon...
Nothing changes, it always was, and still is, more valid than the ICS...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Except for this, Praeo:

"This is Star Wars, and I don’t make a distinction between [Clone Wars] and the films," Lucas said in an interview released by SciFiNow - a science-fiction enthusiast magazine based in the UK, seemingly implying that the events of Clone Wars are top canon, which makes some sense considering how closely Lucas himself has been working on the series.

Lucas is saying unequivocally that the TCW is on the same level of canon as the movies. Chee created the T-level canon to fit TCW and the proposed live-action series above C-canon, but below G-canon, which is what the article describes in it's intro, but what George Lucas is saying here overrides that and makes TCW G-canon.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Which doesn't change it's validity compared to the ICS, Mike, which is what I was saying...
Even if people don't accept the quote, even if they say "Oh, but it just means it really is close to the movies, so T-Canon", the quote, at the very least, shores up the TCW's position as more valid than the ICS books, and all novels...

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:58 am

This is old news to me. thought I tweeted it at http://twitter.com/#!/canonwars , but I am mistaken. In any case, check out the full article from which that comes here:

http://digital.edition-on.net/StarWars_ ... mpler.html

(I have the pages of that saved to disk as of September 28, though I need to get the cover and whatnot still for better referencing.)

The quote appears on page 26 (using the actual pages as numbered), in the article "Myth Makers" that starts on page 20.

The amusing thing about that quote is that, unlike many other quotes, it actually *is* in the context of production issues. Those who've followed the canon policy debate will recall that every time Lucas suggested that the films and EU were in parallel and distinct universes, the EU Completists would try to stretch his statements into oblivion and claim that he was merely referring to how they were produced or somesuch, rather than making any distinction about storyline and content. (Example: http://www.canonwars.com/weblog/2006/01 ... claim.html )

It's actually helpful to see a quote which appears to be pro-parallel but actually has a production context, since that will make it all the more difficult for the "production evasion" nonsense to work when Lucas is most definitely *not* talking about production.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:40 pm

Is he focusing on the narrative and the overall designs, or really saying that the CGI is just as valid as the rest?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:29 pm

I'd say that it's about story, since a cartoon can't really compare with CGI from movies.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:14 am

Most interviews and articles, including this one, make it abundantly clear that Lucas means story, not simply CGI effects, are to be considered on par with the movies. That's why I don't take the T-level canon thing of Chee's very seriously. It's clear from Lucas' point of view that TCW is a genuine continuation of the movies' story, thus it would classify as G-canon, same as the movie novelizations and scripts.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:20 pm

True, but if movies say X, and TCW says Y, then it's X. Same as with novelizations. And of course, movie special effects always override novelizations and cartoon. However, since novelizations are based on movies, that would mean they are above TCW?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:20 am

I would assume so since the movies, at least their most recent revisions, have always been top canon over the novelizations, scripts, and radio plays. In fact, were I Chee, I would place TCW at the same G-canon level as the radio plays in the G-canon hierarchy.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:23 am

Picard wrote:I'd say that it's about story, since a cartoon can't really compare with CGI from movies.
Again, AotC and RotS show us weapons' effects comparable to TCW, so the "cartoon" CGI are not to be ignored because they are part of an animated show...

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:38 am

True.