Star Wars: Canon, the EU, and the Rampaging Lucas

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Another Blow to Hypermatter Fuel's Existence?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:16 pm

This is all well and good, but could you guys please get back onto topic. This type of discussion is fine, but it belongs in the Evidence forum, not here.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Wong & SDN

Post by 2046 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:hypocrisy quite disgusting little dominion pouring salt and peeing into the wounds vague waving always weaseling never being firm. If he were honest, just twisted and sick, fat lard, really quite sadistic, he doesn't care if his dog is starving nauseating absurdity vague salmonish stance playing who's your daddy games, only hurting your brand with those silly acts no respect his bastard child little fart douchebag silly double speak from His Lardy One his inane retarded dance final fuck off to his ludicrous ways he doesn't really deserve it anymore some parasitic lipidic Overload
Aight.

But, let us digress . . .

User1601
Bridge Officer

Re: Another Blow to Hypermatter Fuel's Existence?

Post by User1601 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:This is all well and good, but could you guys please get back onto topic. This type of discussion is fine, but it belongs in the Evidence forum, not here.
-Mike
That IS the topic? The thread reads "Star Wars: Canon, the EU, and the Rampaging Lucas."

Starship Captain

Re: Star Wars: Canon, the EU, and the Rampaging Lucas

Post by 2046 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:00 am

It got split off from elsewhere and then stuff got moved around again, and the thread was titled by the mod. Mike's doing fine.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:53 am

Well I have to agree with Mr. Oragahn above: Lucas is retconning a lot of crap with TFU and TCW, losing all sense of reality or touch with the original vision of Star Wars... I think he's seen better days, and has gone off the deep end, just like Gene Roddenberry beginning with "Assignment: Earth" and downhill from there; TCW is Lucas's version of "Star Trek: Enterprise."

Consider the following from Wookiepedia regarding TFU:
Starkiller initially only defended himself, using Soresu moves against Brood's raw attack, struck by how much alike she was to him. However, he quickly came to the conclusion that if she could turn to the Dark Side so easily, then she could turn back to the Light just as quickly, accepting something that Shaak Ti had explained during their duel; that the Force was fluid, and Light and Dark were just directions. By fighting against Maris Brood, he wasn't turning his back on the Dark Side; she was simply in his way. With this revelation, Starkiller changed over to the Juyo form, seizing the offensive. Starkiller began rapidly gaining ground, and an increasingly desperate Brood began to lose concentration.
As Palpatine tells Anakin, "Good and evil are simply points of view."
And now we see that via TFU, Lucas has truly turned to The Dork Side... as is pretty obvious with this textbook Mary Sue, as well as the one in TCW.

And thus in gaining power, we see the prophecy fulfilled:
‘Alas, no,’ said Elrond. ‘We cannot use the Ruling Ring. That we now know too well. It belongs to Sauron and was made by him alone, and is altogether evil. Its strength, Boromir, is too great for anyone to wield at will, save only those who have already a great power of their own. But for them it holds an even deadlier peril. The very desire of it corrupts the heart. Consider Saruman. If any of the Wise should with this Ring overthrow the Lord of Mordor, using his own arts, he would then set himself on Sauron’s throne, and yet another Dark Lord would appear.
And so he has...
Unable to get clear in time, Starkiller was advised by Kota to do something that even he judged to be insane; telekinetically pull the Star Destroyer out of the sky into a controlled crash. Initially considering this idea impossible, Starkiller ultimately opted to attempt it when reminded that compared to the Force, size and mass meant nothing.
Ok, an X-wing is one thing, but... COME ON!

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:36 am

Ya, I don't think Lucas cares about EU. For him, EU is just one huge money-making machine, and that's all. Other than that, he doesn't care about EU, does absolutely nothing to keep any sort of continuity between canon and EU, and happily smashes whole "EU is canon" idea when he wants to get something his way. It's only some EU- and ICS- -philes who try to push "EU is canon" idea beacouse they just like it that way. But as I said, Lucas is God as far as Star Wars is concerned, and anything someone else says does not matter.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Picard wrote:Ya, I don't think Lucas cares about EU. For him, EU is just one huge money-making machine, and that's all. Other than that, he doesn't care about EU, does absolutely nothing to keep any sort of continuity between canon and EU, and happily smashes whole "EU is canon" idea when he wants to get something his way. It's only some EU- and ICS- -philes who try to push "EU is canon" idea beacouse they just like it that way. But as I said, Lucas is God as far as Star Wars is concerned, and anything someone else says does not matter.
Some here are claiming that TFU and TCW are the official storyline, and that Lucas says so.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Some here have proven with many links to articles detailing how Lucas has declared both to be canon, but one ignores this because it doesn't fit his vision of what SW is... :)

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:28 pm

I know about TCW, but TFU? As far as I know it's a video game, and I've been unable to find any such declaration by Lucas on short notice; I also don't have exactly loads of time on my disposal to find out, so I'll just ask you to provide a link. Beacouse in all Lucas- related materials I was able to find, there is nothing to suggest any SW games are canon. Not even "up to the point of contradiction".

EDIT: And as far as I know, TCW isn't exactly "part of EU", being at least partially overseen by Lucas.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:23 am

Picard wrote:I know about TCW, but TFU? As far as I know it's a video game, and I've been unable to find any such declaration by Lucas on short notice; I also don't have exactly loads of time on my disposal to find out, so I'll just ask you to provide a link. Beacouse in all Lucas- related materials I was able to find, there is nothing to suggest any SW games are canon. Not even "up to the point of contradiction".

EDIT: And as far as I know, TCW isn't exactly "part of EU", being at least partially overseen by Lucas.
From here:
Khas wrote:Oh, and just to make you happy:

George Lucas: The Force Unleashed are the only Star Wars video games based on my own original story ideas. It remains the only video games that represent true Star Wars history. I have a basic idea for The Force Unleashed 3 and 4, which are going to mesmerize the fans even more than the first ones if that's even possible.

The Force Unleashed 2 has been completed and released to retail stores even though LucasArts has been experiencing so much turmoil lately. With work on the various Star Wars TV shows, the Star Wars video games aren't much of a priority right now, but The Force Unleashed 3 will definitely happen eventually if part 2 is successful.

http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/lucas/
So it seems that with both TFU and TCW, Lucas is really losing it.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:23 am

Picard wrote:I know about TCW, but TFU? As far as I know it's a video game, and I've been unable to find any such declaration by Lucas on short notice; I also don't have exactly loads of time on my disposal to find out, so I'll just ask you to provide a link. Beacouse in all Lucas- related materials I was able to find, there is nothing to suggest any SW games are canon. Not even "up to the point of contradiction".

From here:
Khas wrote:Oh, and just to make you happy:

George Lucas: The Force Unleashed are the only Star Wars video games based on my own original story ideas. It remains the only video games that represent true Star Wars history. I have a basic idea for The Force Unleashed 3 and 4, which are going to mesmerize the fans even more than the first ones if that's even possible.

The Force Unleashed 2 has been completed and released to retail stores even though LucasArts has been experiencing so much turmoil lately. With work on the various Star Wars TV shows, the Star Wars video games aren't much of a priority right now, but The Force Unleashed 3 will definitely happen eventually if part 2 is successful.

http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/lucas/
So it seems that with both TFU and TCW, Lucas is really losing it. Basically he's retconning the whole story in order to stick in Mary Sue characters and make it revolve around them, against all evidence in the movies-- and then claim it's the "real history of the story."
Last edited by User1601 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:13 am

you know, it's funny, i recall having my proverbial ass handed to me back when tfu was in previews all over the place for arguing that it should be taken seriously, back in about 2007.

*edited because i'm an idiot

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:52 pm

mojo wrote:you know, it's funny, i recall having my proverbial ass handed to me back when tfu was in previews all over the place for arguing that it should be taken seriously, back in about 2007.

*edited because i'm an idiot
"Ironic" is more like it, since it turns out that things are as they shouldn't be.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:24 am

I mean it's both cheap and really fucked up that he's choosing now to do this of all times..and that he's basically using EU writers as a means to poach ideas and EU fans as quick pay checks

but to be fair this mass canon rampage is entirely within his right to do I suppose that makes it all the crueler though

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:32 am

TCW/TFU or not, movies are highest canon, so I don't know why these two would be concern. If part of it doesn't agree with movies, that part isn't canon, rest is canon, and game over. (EU itself is not canon either way, so it's even less concern).