What's accepted SW canon?

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: What's accepted SW canon?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:27 am

Of course what George Lucas says about his creation makes a lot of difference, especially since he's still very much in charge of it, and is still writting and producing various media relating to it. Hell as I pointed out in the "Admiral Motti's Full Name and Canon" thread from almost a year ago, even when George says something in jest on a talk show it still had an impact on the writing of the EU Death Star novel.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:10 pm

And as soon as we see in either a movie, a TV show (TCW or the live action show) that Boba is dead, then the books saying he's alive will need to be ignored.
But for the moment, what he says is not part of SW until someone writes it, or films it...

There is no "I-canon" ("I" for "interviews")... :)

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Praeothmin wrote:And as soon as we see in either a movie, a TV show (TCW or the live action show) that Boba is dead, then the books saying he's alive will need to be ignored.
But for the moment, what he says is not part of SW until someone writes it, or films it...

There is no "I-canon" ("I" for "interviews")... :)

I gotta go with "if lucas says he is dead then he is dead" on this one, boba fell in the pit and was killed according to lucas and thats it.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:12 pm

And where does it fit in the canon hierarchy?

Gene Rodenberry himself said that he did not consider ST V canon, yet since it's been filmed, and it fits within ST canon, then it is.

While Lucas has more control over what is in SW than Gene had over ST, he may decide to one day make a movie or show depicting the actual death of Boba Fett.
For the meantime, though, he made money on material that his company accpeted as valid SW procudt, and this material said Boba is alive and well.
So until a higher canon source states otherwise, Boba is alive, as per LFL canon policy...

I will add that I find the idea that Boba survived dumb as heck, but since it falls within LFL's canon policy, I have to accept it...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Praeothmin wrote:And where does it fit in the canon hierarchy?

Gene Rodenberry himself said that he did not consider ST V canon, yet since it's been filmed, and it fits within ST canon, then it is.

While Lucas has more control over what is in SW than Gene had over ST, he may decide to one day make a movie or show depicting the actual death of Boba Fett.
For the meantime, though, he made money on material that his company accpeted as valid SW procudt, and this material said Boba is alive and well.
So until a higher canon source states otherwise, Boba is alive, as per LFL canon policy...

I will add that I find the idea that Boba survived dumb as heck, but since it falls within LFL's canon policy, I have to accept it...
It falls under the "direct contradiction clause" as George lucas (the god of all and especially G canon) says he died in the pit even if we did not see him getting munched and digested or have a scene with his funeral.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:16 pm

I thought stuff from GL in interviews counted as G canon?

This from '04 seems to suggest it is:
Are the entries in the Holocron sorted as cannonical & non-cannonical? Are there various degress of oficialness?

The database does indeed have a canon field. Anything in the films and from George Lucas (including unpublished internal notes that we might receive from him or from the film production department) is considered "G" canon. Next we have what we call continuity "C" canon which is pretty much everything else. There is secondary "S" continuity canon which we use for some older published materials and things that may or may not fit just right. But, if it is referenced in something else it becomes "C". Similarly, any "C" canon item that makes it into the films can become "G" canon. Lastly there is non-continuity "N" which we rarely use except in the case of a blatant contradiction or for things that have been cut.

I will not go into specifics as to what is considered "S" canon or what items that are seemingly "C" canon are actually "G" canon.

Okay, I know that the novels are C-level, and I assume that most of the newer comics are also C-level. Where on the continuity spectrum to the Video games come in?

"...continuity "C" canon which is pretty much everything else. " By everything else I mean EVERYthing else. Novels, comics, junior novels, videogames, trading card games, roleplaying games, toys, websites, television. As I've mentioned earlier, any contradictions that arise are dealt on a case-by-case. This has been our general approach to continuity since we began using the Holocron database to track it.

In a nutshell, anything created by the author would be C-level. Anything in the the novels created by George Lucas (whether it comes from unpublished early script versions, unpublished author interviews with George, or George's revisions to the novelization manuscript) would be G-level unless contradicted by the films.

It gets a little more complicated when something is seen on-screen but not named. So the "shuura fruit" mentioned in the AOTC novel would be G because you see it in the film, although the author came up with the name.

Is there anything post-Return of the Jedi that is G level?

Not in the database, no. If there is anything anywhere, only George knows.

Though I don't discuss specific continuity issues in this thread, I do want to the address the fact that in the Holocron, we track continuity by Holocron entry and not by source.

What that means is, a particular source would never be discounted in its entirety, only those elements of that source that are contradictory.

Hence, while there may be individual elements of say the Marvel Comics or the Holiday Special that are considered non-continuity, all the other parts can still be valid.
Prommie, your point about Gene and ST V is well taken, but he never owned Trek, Paramount did. He could say whatever he wanted, it didn't matter.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Well, if what George says in interviews is part of G-canon, then Boba is dead.
And reading the Wiki article on it, I now notice a tiny blurb that says:
and any statements by George Lucas himself.
So then Boba is dead... (and there was much rejoicing)

But anything else that doesn't contradict G-canon is still part of canon, this only changes the validity of my example, but not my entire argument.
If a piece from lower canon doesn't contradict higher canon, then it is valid for the debates...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Hence why the existence of the EU can only be validated through the ignorance of some of his comments. Not a big price to pay, though some will say there's a pinch of hypocrisy here.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Not the entire EU.
I doubt he commented on all the EU, so there are a lot of things that can and do exist without problems, without directly contradicting G and T-canon...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Not the entire EU.
I doubt he commented on all the EU, so there are a lot of things that can and do exist without problems, without directly contradicting G and T-canon...
Sure, but back then, when he made his comment, the "butterfly effect" of removing Jango from the EU post ROTJ would have had massive consequences on stories. At the very best, they'd have to pretend someone revived him, or that it was an impostor, or an out of universe explanation in that it's an entirely different character and people should read Sessuj Brik when reading those books.
It also hurts the credibility of the EU as a whole.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:47 pm

It would not be the first time anything like that has happened. Just look at how Karen Traviss' version of the Mandalorian culture and nearly every story she'd written or was going to write got shot to shit with the airing of just a couple of TCW series. If Lucas were to make a post-RoTJ story showing that Boba was dead and rotting, you can bet that's what would happen. Poor Chee is probably ripping his hair out wondering what's going to be destroyed next in the EU.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Should he not seen as the most hypocrite and despicable individual he became? Silently gloating about his demiurgic abilities, able to vilify at his own guise, from the tip of his Limited enterprise, yet which seems to know no boundaries in grotesqueness and tinkering retributions. Surely. He, the one who demonstrates his parasitic ability to molest the once noble grace of a former genuine audacity and vision, now a faint spark, amused to no ends in picking the ephemeral material penned by those who would be fooled by the arousing shares of creative power, only to see them ripped from their hands, for they shall never forget that he can trash their efforts and passions as much as he wants. Why claim being a creator, when what he does best is compressing the limp lipid lips of his tummy to reap and rape the miserable efforts of his harem of abused frantic machinist monkeys, his sadistic and elegant majesty of thieves, to impose his own bland spin upon the backstory of a once minor character forcefully wedged into his uninspired trilorgy of lights and disasters, not because one could tell a lesson to the little angels on life support, fed his sanctified and most necessary red prose like hemophiliacs, but to drain time and sweat from the choirs of cherubs and priors equally blinded by the light of a star they should never attempt to reach, had their fathers ever come to their senses and attempted to open their eyes to the most infinitesimal snippet of culture. High above the likes of Anakin and Obi-Wan, He the creator is the most interesting character of this new age tragedy.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:20 am

lol wut

User1446
Redshirt

Post by User1446 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Here's what wiki has to say about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

In July 2001, Lucas gave his opinion on the matter of what is canon in Star Wars during an interview with Cinescape magazine:

“ There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe – the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe. ”

Further, in an August 2005 interview in Starlog magazine:

STARLOG: "The Star Wars Universe is so large and diverse. Do you ever find yourself confused by the subsidiary material that's in the novels, comics, and other offshoots?"
LUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."
Lucas' statements in Starlog were commented on in a December 7, 2005 post on the starwars.com forums by Leland Chee, who maintains Lucas Licensing's continuity database:

CHEE: "GL is certainly not bound by the EU, though he's certainly open to using things created in it (Aayla Secura and the Coruscant name, for example). On the other hand, the quote you provide makes it sound like the EU is separate from George's vision of the Star Wars universe. It is not. The EU must follow certain tenets set by George through the films and other guidelines that he provides outside of the films."
So Lucas's Star Wars shown in the movies, is a separate universe from the Expanded one, despite these common guidelines and tenets.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:33 pm

On the other hand, the quote you provide makes it sound like the EU is separate from George's vision of the Star Wars universe. It is not. The EU must follow certain tenets set by George through the films and other guidelines that he provides outside of the films."
Honestly, it doesn't sound like that at all.