ST Manuals and canon

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Lucky
Jedi Master
Posts: 2239
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Lucky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:39 am

StarTrek The Next Generation Technical Manual

Authors' Introduction Page: VII
An important word of caution: All Starfleet personnel are hereby advised that any previous technical documentation in your possession may be suspect because of an ongoing Starfleet program of disinformation intended to confound and confuse the intelligence assets of potential forces. Such documents should therefore be verified with Federation archives, and this manual for authenticity.
I wonder why no one used this in a fanfic?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer
Posts: 5768
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:22 am

I once thought about using it as the basis for a parody story where an ISD at the end is getting pounded on by GCS or some other Federation ship, and the ship's commander is screaming at two other officers over the introduction, how all the numbers in TNG TM are bogus since they're clearly misinformation, and what idiots they were to fall for such an obvious ruse.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Picard » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:48 am

Manuals mi9ght or might not be canon, but that only up to point of contradiction with on-screen evidence, which is higher canon.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain
Posts: 1246
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:I once thought about using it as the basis for a parody story where an ISD at the end is getting pounded on by GCS or some other Federation ship, and the ship's commander is screaming at two other officers over the introduction, how all the numbers in TNG TM are bogus since they're clearly misinformation, and what idiots they were to fall for such an obvious ruse.
-Mike
You would be better off making one where the Bridge officers on a Acclamator are laughing at the GCS or some other Federation ship while one is holding up a ST tech manual and the other the ICS and comparing stats. Obviously then stage the fight with the Fed ship tanking the shots from the Acclamator easily and returnng fire and kicking the crap out of the Acclamator.

Then cut to Vader using the force choke on Saxton lol...

Praeothmin
Jedi Master
Posts: 3888
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Quebec City

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:12 pm

That would be a good one, Kor... :)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer
Posts: 5768
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:05 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:I once thought about using it as the basis for a parody story where an ISD at the end is getting pounded on by GCS or some other Federation ship, and the ship's commander is screaming at two other officers over the introduction, how all the numbers in TNG TM are bogus since they're clearly misinformation, and what idiots they were to fall for such an obvious ruse.
-Mike
You would be better off making one where the Bridge officers on a Acclamator are laughing at the GCS or some other Federation ship while one is holding up a ST tech manual and the other the ICS and comparing stats. Obviously then stage the fight with the Fed ship tanking the shots from the Acclamator easily and returnng fire and kicking the crap out of the Acclamator.

Then cut to Vader using the force choke on Saxton lol...
I never got very far in the planning process for the story idea. So whatever floats people's boats. The two officers who get chewed out were intended to be caricatures of two particular Warsies well all know and despise. But I figured that might give them more credit and attention than they're worth.
-Mike

User avatar
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Paradise Mountain

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:21 pm

You can enjoy bits of the ST:TNG Technical Manual here.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain
Posts: 1246
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:48 pm

So do we have any actual results regarding Harry Lang and how his comments stack up compared to R Moore and Paula Block in regards to the TNG tech manuals ect?.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer
Posts: 5768
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:44 am

What would it matter if the TNG TM was declared canon? It's already heavily contradicted by the episodes and movies.
-Mike

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: UFP Earth

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Enterprise E » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Not only that, but wasn't there this note at the end that said that the information inside may be intentionally misleading or incorrect just in case the manual fell into the wrong hands, or am I remembering a different tech manual?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master
Posts: 3888
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Quebec City

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Enterprise E wrote:Not only that, but wasn't there this note at the end that said that the information inside may be intentionally misleading or incorrect just in case the manual fell into the wrong hands, or am I remembering a different tech manual?
It's actually right on top of this very page... :)

Lucky
Jedi Master
Posts: 2239
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Lucky » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 am

StarTrek The Next Generation Technical Manual wrote:
Authors' Introduction Page: VII
An important word of caution: All Starfleet personnel are hereby advised that any previous technical documentation in your possession may be suspect because of an ongoing Starfleet program of disinformation intended to confound and confuse the intelligence assets of potential forces. Such documents should therefore be verified with Federation archives, and this manual for authenticity.

User1601
Bridge Officer
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by User1601 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:What would it matter if the TNG TM was declared canon? It's already heavily contradicted by the episodes and movies.
-Mike
Same reason as the EU, i.e. then they can claim any contradiction is just "your opinion."

Picard
Starship Captain
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Picard » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 am

But we already know that in Star Trek only on-screen evidence is considered canon, and TNG takes precendance over all other series (based on Rodenberry's comment that whenever contradiction between TNG and TOS emerges, he takes TNG as canon). So unless someone can find more info on whole "manuals" thing and actually prove they're canon, TM's remain decidedly non-canon. And even then, on-screen evidence overrides them - althought we saw that Rabid Warsies are just too happy to disregard that fact when it suits them.

Lucky
Jedi Master
Posts: 2239
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: ST Manuals and canon

Post by Lucky » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 am

Picard wrote:But we already know that in Star Trek only on-screen evidence is considered canon, and TNG takes precendance over all other series (based on Rodenberry's comment that whenever contradiction between TNG and TOS emerges, he takes TNG as canon). So unless someone can find more info on whole "manuals" thing and actually prove they're canon, TM's remain decidedly non-canon. And even then, on-screen evidence overrides them - althought we saw that Rabid Warsies are just too happy to disregard that fact when it suits them.
Rodenberry doesn't make Star Trek canon policy, and I would like to see the quotes.

Post Reply