CBS and STO

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

CBS and STO

Post by 2046 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:45 am

Originally from here, Tyralak said:
CBS has declared the storylines in STO to be canon.
Source for that, please.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Re: CBS and STO

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:14 am

2046 wrote:Originally from here, Tyralak said:
CBS has declared the storylines in STO to be canon.
Source for that, please.
Yea i would like to see that, i have found this but Zinkievich has been out for a while now and it is from 2009:
MTV Multiplayer: Is the story in “Star Trek Online” part of the official canon?

Zinkievich: What is the official canon is really an argument that anyone can have. For us all the shows and movies are canon. But you can get in an argument with any of the fans about how even some of the shows may have small contradictions in them. We want to make sure that we follow that timeline, and we’re true to that timeline. We see the shows and movies as canon. We’re reading the novels now; the novels are considered soft canon with a lot of more conflicts in there. You can never call yourself “canon,” but we can’t take a 90-degree angle and go it’s all totally different.

I do know some of the storyline missions contain canon material ("The Doomsday Device" AND "City on the Edge of Never" i totally loved).

From what limited material i can find regarding STOL's canon status it seems that overall it is a EU continuation of the "prime" timeline that does not include the destruction of Romulus or the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy where the borg are absorbed into the Caeliar.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Well basically isn't it just another piece of "EU" that tries to stay faithful to the high canon but which will just be dismissed as non canon by TPTB?

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:58 am

that does not include the destruction of Romulus or the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy where the borg are absorbed into the Caeliar.
As I think I am the only active STO player on the forum, I can safely say this is not the story.

Romulus was destroyed, and spock traveled to the alternate dimension (and yet somehow narrates the entire thing). The Klingons have conquered the Orions and Gorn, while the federation is attempting to hold together some sort of peace (and failing). The Romulans are ruled by Empress Sela, and the Founder that was put in jail at the end of the dominion war is dead. The fedeartion has mastered transwarp technology, the galaxy refit seen in all good things is actually there, and Intrepid super pwn borg and transphasic torps do exist. Species 8472 (called the Undine) are upset with everyone because someone keeps screwing with them (with heavy evidence leading us to believe it is the once thought to be dead Iconians), add into this the fact that there is a massive invasion underway by the Mirror Universe, and cults that worship dead caradassians and you can see why STO should really.. really... really not be cannon...

Also Hirogen Romulan Alliance.... *shudder*

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:19 am

Trinoya wrote:
that does not include the destruction of Romulus or the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy where the borg are absorbed into the Caeliar.
As I think I am the only active STO player on the forum, I can safely say this is not the story.

Romulus was destroyed, and spock traveled to the alternate dimension (and yet somehow narrates the entire thing). The Klingons have conquered the Orions and Gorn, while the federation is attempting to hold together some sort of peace (and failing). The Romulans are ruled by Empress Sela, and the Founder that was put in jail at the end of the dominion war is dead. The fedeartion has mastered transwarp technology, the galaxy refit seen in all good things is actually there, and Intrepid super pwn borg and transphasic torps do exist. Species 8472 (called the Undine) are upset with everyone because someone keeps screwing with them (with heavy evidence leading us to believe it is the once thought to be dead Iconians), add into this the fact that there is a massive invasion underway by the Mirror Universe, and cults that worship dead caradassians and you can see why STO should really.. really... really not be cannon...

Also Hirogen Romulan Alliance.... *shudder*
Dunno, it sounds actually nice, although not very Star Trekky, but more on the verge of being warhammish.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:14 am

Oh, very much so, but it wasn't exactly well thought through and it's trying to go in numerous directions at once, rather than focusing plot wise.

Also, having a three nacelle cloaking galaxy class starship with a giant cannon on it is awesome and reason enough to buy the game ^_^