Is the house of cards tumbling ?

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 am

Maybe they're just afraid that a guy who openly thinks that Saxton is not honest in his work is also a licensed writer who lays down some canon Star Wars stuff as well, literally spreading the idea that Saxton's work is openly disputed within the firm's ranks, only that.

Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:42 am

Wow.

I particulary liked the way mr Sarli has hammered yet another shiny, long nail into the "fanboys BDZ" coffin :D

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:12 pm

The Old Carl Sagan complaint, like its use disproves every other damn thing, like the info from the old RPG sourcebook. Though, I'll admit, I made that flub once in the debate, only because I had watched this thing on him and I typed part of a sentence when I was thinking about it and then, didn't reread my post before posting because there was something else going on that distracted me. I can sympathize. But, the call has been made for them to regroup ("you know where"). But, I predict that they will stop going there anymore eventually. All the major plotting is done on SDN's email list and regular emails anyway.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:05 pm

After reading Sarli's posts at Wookiepedia (assuming this really is him, not an imposter), it seems to be confirming a theory myself and others had from a while back that LFL is backing away from the ludicris fan-wank of Saxton. They started the process it seems with RoTS ICS by editing out the AoTC ICS-like power output numbers and other nonsense. It will indeed be very interesting to see if the ICS compliation book due out in March will retain the wank numbers for the AoTC section.
-Mike

Gniops
Padawan

Post by Gniops » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:56 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:After reading Sarli's posts at Wookiepedia (assuming this really is him, not an imposter), it seems to be confirming a theory myself and others had from a while back that LFL is backing away from the ludicris fan-wank of Saxton. They started the process it seems with RoTS ICS by editing out the AoTC ICS-like power output numbers and other nonsense. It will indeed be very interesting to see if the ICS compliation book due out in March will retain the wank numbers for the AoTC section.
-Mike
Its hysteria time for certain people if they do I think!

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:03 am

Obviously, we've got a loose geek on hours hands who's got too much spare time to spend.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:34 am

I just got back from a local book store that had the new ICS compilation, I wasn't able to go through it very thoroughly as the store was closing but I did look at the Aclimator and the venerator. The 200 gt bit is still there as is the ten light min range, sorry guys but it would seem that no one at Lucasfilm cares about these silly debates.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:40 pm

Is it the big all-in-one book version, with the cuts of the TIE bomber, Imperial shuttle, and the A-wing and B-wing fighters?

The release was scheduled for april.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:10 pm

Watchdog wrote:
sorry guys but it would seem that no one at Lucasfilm cares about these silly debates.
Why should they?
I mean, I would love to get my hands on the ICS books, but it has nothing to do with the SW vs ST debate, and everything to do with the fact that I love the artwork, and that just having this incredible look inside the vehicules of SW is a must for all fans of the franchise, IMO.

In fact, I would love nothing more than to have the same thing be done for ST, for all periods.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:44 pm

The Worlds/Locations books are nice as well. I got the one for TPM, it's nice and full of details.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:21 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Is it the big all-in-one book version, with the cuts of the TIE bomber, Imperial shuttle, and the A-wing and B-wing fighters?

Probably, the tie bomber was on the cover. I will be heading out in just a minute and will probably go back to the bookstore for a longer look. The book clearly has all the original ICS's combined but I dont know if it has the planets and location ICS book yet.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:27 am

Praeothmin wrote:Watchdog wrote:
sorry guys but it would seem that no one at Lucasfilm cares about these silly debates.
Why should they?
I mean, I would love to get my hands on the ICS books, but it has nothing to do with the SW vs ST debate, and everything to do with the fact that I love the artwork, and that just having this incredible look inside the vehicules of SW is a must for all fans of the franchise, IMO.

In fact, I would love nothing more than to have the same thing be done for ST, for all periods.
The closest you will get for Trek are some cutaway posters they had out a few years back, I had the ones for Enterprise TOS and E as well as the Klingon bird of prey. There are however canon cutaways available online for almost all the Enterprises (best one was the one for the TOS Enterprise, originaly from a CD-ROM that let you explore the bridge of various ships, in a mirror darkly made the TOS cut-away canon).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:46 am

watchdog wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Is it the big all-in-one book version, with the cuts of the TIE bomber, Imperial shuttle, and the A-wing and B-wing fighters?

Probably, the tie bomber was on the cover. I will be heading out in just a minute and will probably go back to the bookstore for a longer look. The book clearly has all the original ICS's combined but I dont know if it has the planets and location ICS book yet.
Technically no, it's only supposed to combine all ICS, that is, the 3 prequel ones, plus the one about the OT.

I find it surprising that you already got it while it's not even supposed to be available, and can't even be preordered anywhere, safe at WHSmith and some german sites.
How did your store manage to get copies so early?

At best, I found this contradictory post, where the book is listed for the 19th of march.

Go figure. Are the B-wings properly commented?

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:38 am

You can pre-order it from amazon. Mine is scheduled to show up some time next week.

Edit: As much as the EU is contradictory, I'd still like to see ICSs for the EU stories. As long as they stick to equipment names and don't give speed/energy output/etc. figures, it could be good.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:56 am

Funny enough, this is not the cover that I've seen.
The cover of the book I was looking at was shiny silver and featured the TIE bomber on the cover.