Chee Rejects EU Completism, Confirms Separate Continuities

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:24 am

The really fair way to do things is to apply a consistent, objective standard. That's where the original idea of letting the makers/owners statements decide for us came from. They're the ultimate third-party for these purposes.

That's the problem: they AREN'T third parties anymore. Nowadays, many statements are made by underlings, who may do this with look at the debate (while top people restrain from giving direct answers to hold the fans).
Look at Saxton who is:
1) A vs.debater.
2) Author of a book that tips the balance greatly
3)And a worker at SW house so he can declare his own book canon and overriding novels.
While here the clash is obvious, who can guarantee other canon statements weren't masde with vs debate in mind?
And books? Wasn't the one who declared "Mosaic" canon (20000 degs vaping temp) the one who wrote it? And , vs debate aside, wouldn't people just push for their books being canon, so future stories are based on them and everybody who reads those, has to buy this book as well?

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:46 am

That cuts both ways - take a look at how Sarli, Chee, Traviss, etc have reacted to VS debaters.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:06 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:That cuts both ways - take a look at how Sarli, Chee, Traviss, etc have reacted to VS debaters.
I've been saying this for a while now, but i don't really get what they're hoping to accomplish by alienating EU authors. It will in the end come back to bite them in the ass. Just look at some of the things these authors have said, they've openly stated that they might put something in their next novel/whatever to validify their point. Traviss, i think, even did this when she retconned the numbers of droids.

All in all. The whole hostile attitude they have towards authors is not something i consider all that smart. It would be better for them to just rationally explain why the numbers/whatever don't fit, like with the clonetrooper thing, instead of alienating the authors who made the mistake.

Which is also why i don't quite like the whole "flaming is ok" attitude. It might be good and fun for a while, but with time, people will start to think that flaming is just as good as providing actual evidence to support your case. And as in cases like this, where they flame people who've probably never even encountered sites that regularly allow flaming, it's going to come off as extreme insults to the person they are flaming. And like i said, such people will in the future make sure that if they get the chance, they'll stick it too them, in their official capacity.

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:33 pm

Good at least you agree with it.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:28 pm

Well, on the other hand, 3 million clonetroopers total is absurd.

Now, if it's time relevant, then, I guess, we have to put that in context. I never knew if that EU number was supposed to represent the state of the army just after AOTC, or during the height of the clone wars.

I don't have the source, so I can't check that, but the novelisation of the film suggested such numbers, since the army was in production and that was the first batch of new units I think, and the book said something about a few millions.

That said, their reactions were way too over the hat. They ranted in a childish manner, and simply went too far, likely loosing a large amount of respect they might have been given in the past.

Gandalf
Bridge Officer

Post by Gandalf » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:03 pm

SailorSaturn13 wrote:
That's the problem: they AREN'T third parties anymore. Nowadays, many statements are made by underlings, who may do this with look at the debate (while top people restrain from giving direct answers to hold the fans).
Look at Saxton who is:
1) A vs.debater.
2) Author of a book that tips the balance greatly
3)And a worker at SW house so he can declare his own book canon and overriding novels.
While here the clash is obvious, who can guarantee other canon statements weren't masde with vs debate in mind?
And books? Wasn't the one who declared "Mosaic" canon (20000 degs vaping temp) the one who wrote it? And , vs debate aside, wouldn't people just push for their books being canon, so future stories are based on them and everybody who reads those, has to buy this book as well?
Dr Saxton is not a VS debator, in fact to my knowledge he has never shown any interest in the VS debate. He maintains an account at SDN but only to vary rarely clarify Star Wars minutiae.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:11 pm

Gandalf wrote:Dr Saxton is not a VS debator, in fact to my knowledge he has never shown any interest in the VS debate. He maintains an account at SDN but only to vary rarely clarify Star Wars minutiae.
They could be referring to the fact that Curtis Saxton once participated briefly on ASVS.

Gandalf
Bridge Officer

Post by Gandalf » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:15 pm

Socar wrote:
They could be referring to the fact that Curtis Saxton once participated briefly on ASVS.
And how long ago was that?

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:23 pm

No idea. I think a link to it was once posted here, but I don't remember where.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 pm

Maybe a bit too vague.

I found myself involved in typical versus threads, not to make a side win, but just to dispute certain claims or provide clarification, with zero intent on making one side win over the other.

However, it does mean that I participated in such threads... in a kind of way. Just no following the intended thread's purpose.

On the other hand, SD.net most fervent denizens often claimed that Saxton never ever remotely approached a versus related discussion.

So I guess both sides hold some kind of truth, and it seems to be a waste of time, really, just to find ONE post that dates back to the last century.

However, saying that he was not influenced by all the people he was in talk with is unlikely. It's just too much of a coincidence that Saxton wanked Star Wars just the same way his pals did (and still do) on various boards.

Gandalf
Bridge Officer

Post by Gandalf » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Seems to me that Dr Saxton saw the effects of equipment in the Star Wars movies and let logic and science guide his conclusions.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:49 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:So I guess both sides hold some kind of truth, and it seems to be a waste of time, really, just to find ONE post that dates back to the last century.
But, the end of the last century was just 7 years ago. :-Pb

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:42 pm

In general, aligning Saxton with SDN is generally done on the strength of the amount of work he has done with them, e.g., the numerous SDN members acknowledged in the AOTC:ICS and his apparently related participation in a mailing list with the core membership of SDN. The fact that he occasionally gives a nod to the SDN group on his website also confirms that the influence is not entirely one-way.

Of course, Dr. Saxton is not actively engaging in the full VS debate on boards like this one. Calling him a VS debater himself is perhaps not accurate, but it is apt to say he's part of the broader VS community.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:45 am

GStone wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:So I guess both sides hold some kind of truth, and it seems to be a waste of time, really, just to find ONE post that dates back to the last century.
But, the end of the last century was just 7 years ago. :-Pb
That was an horrible smiley, dude.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:51 am

Just don't ask me what it means cause I don't know. The retarded, drooling smiley?