Star Trek scripts & transcripts

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Star Trek scripts & transcripts

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Chakoteya.net I've found time and again is the most extensive and exaustively researched script site out of all of them.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:34 am

Indeed, I use Chakoteya exclusively. I can scarcely imagine the time that went into making those transcripts, and now she's doing Dr. Who! That's the equivalent of doing all of Trek all over again! I used to use the Voyager.CZ TOS stuff, though, and it wasn't too bad, but Chakoteya's much better.

As far as Trek scripts go, I don't use them. I learned my lesson on that way back when, when the script of "The Wounded" had some details that the episode as shown did not. Best to avoid that altogether. SW scripts at least have standing . . . Trek scripts are not known to.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Voyager.CZ TOS is still good for cross-referencing to check for accuracy. As for script validilty, I've seen all too often on a number of certain sites where they use the Trek shooting scripts over the actual canon transcripts and the episode as-spoken dialog itself to justify many of their silly conclusions.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:31 am

Mike DiCenso wrote: As for script validilty, I've seen all too often on a number of certain sites where they use the Trek shooting scripts
-Mike
I've done that myself... and yes, it doesn't hold up very well when someone points out the script was wrong.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:49 am

Yes, whatever the writer's intention, particularly where Star Trek canon is concerned, the shooting scripts are pretty bottom of the barrel. Take for example the "True Q" 12.75 billion gigawatt quote, were in the shooting script Data is uninterrupted by the alarm klaxon and ends it with the scientifically inaccurate "per second". In the as-filmed versions and the transcripts, Data is cut off before he says "second", thus leaving the statement open to considerable interpretation.
-Mike