EU Novels: What if?

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

EU Novels: What if?

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 pm

I'm aware most of this board's population doesn't like to think of expanded universes as being part of the true canon, whether in Star Trek or Star Wars.

But I'll ask you this, inspired by something brought up in the recent Trek canon thread: "What if?"

If it were up to you to select authors and decide that all their work would be canonized, novels, comics, and all, who would you pick? Who would you avoid picking? In other words, which authors do you feel do the best and worst jobs of capturing the essence of Trek and Wars?

Bearing in mind that I did most of my ST and SW novel reading back in the 90s...

...I'll start off by saying I think that in Star Trek, Diane Duane and Peter David are great, and James Blish's adaptations of the original series are practically essential works for the TOS fan.

In Star Wars, I have a great liking for Alan Dean Foster's work - at least his first two Star Wars novels. Splinter of a Mind's Eye and Star Wars remain two of the closest novels to the original movies, IMO, and two of the ones with the most individual editorial attention by Lucas. I must admit I have yet to read his third SW novel yet.

But it's hard for me to decide about the rest of the SW EU. The Great Continuity Nightmare is still settling out. Stackpole, Allston, Zahn, and KJA all strike me as writing very similar SW EU. These, IMO, are the guys whose collective body of work got screwed over the most when the prequel trilogy came out, and they seem to get a lot of bad press from VS debaters on both sides of the fence.

I'm not sure it's entirely deserved, though, and I'm not quite sure what's going on with the new EU except to say that
if those guys represent the core of the old pre-PT EU, Karen Traviss will probably represent the core of the new post-PT EU in the years to come.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:37 pm

Jeffrey Lang's "Immortal Coil" was so incredibly good at tying together diverse elements of Trek history (far, far, far, far better than that hack who did the Khan novels) that I'd pretty much be willing to canonize him even though I haven't read anything else he's done.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:02 pm

Ships of the Line.