New Trek Flick Features Parallel Universe

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

New Trek Flick Features Parallel Universe

Post by 2046 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:12 am

Orci has stated in an interview that the new 23rd Century material in the new Trek flick will represent a parallel universe.

This means that we can collectively release our breath regarding all the obvious changes to the TOS canon that seemed to be the case from assorted spoilers.

Thoughts?

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:36 am

Ah yes, a parallel-universe branching retcon.

Welcome to the world of the DC Universe. Enjoy your Infinite Crisis of Infinite Canon.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:01 am

Not a reboot, but a change to some of the events of the timeline. Otherwise we'd have had mid series rebooting in more than one series and more than once per series some times.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:43 am

GStone wrote:Not a reboot, but a change to some of the events of the timeline.
Welcome to the DC Universe. Enjoy your Infinite Crisis of Infinite Canon.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:44 am

GStone wrote:Not a reboot, but a change to some of the events of the timeline.
You say that as if there's only one. ;)

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:15 pm

It's more like a complete alternate timeline. Think "Yesterday's Enterprise" (or whatever that episode was called, I forget). I partially like it and partially don't. A reboot would've been a lot cleaner and there'd be less canon to keep track off. Because keeping track of canon in something as big as Trek is bound to fail at times.

Of course people who care about that sort of stuff are rather rare too...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:24 pm

Abrams has made comments in another TrekMovie.com article that indicates that this is not a parallel universe:

"I think you just have to see that the key is this world, this universe, is not disconnected from what’s come before."

If you don't want to wade through the TrekMovie article to get to the blog that links to the article you can just click here. The context is in regards to the TNG characters appearing in the comics and the possibility of TNG characters making appearences in the movie itself.
-Mike

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:03 pm

I must admit, the prospect of TOS and even TNG characters appearing in the movie itself is getting me very excited, and personally I could care less about the movie's "canon" status (save from the headaches it will cause) but my main worry is that they're going to turn Star Trek into a generic action franchise. We already have tons of franchises like that, not the least of which being Star Wars.

Or heck, Transformers. Now there's a pretty decent sci-fi action flick.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Abrams has made comments in another TrekMovie.com article that indicates that this is not a parallel universe:

"I think you just have to see that the key is this world, this universe, is not disconnected from what’s come before."

If you don't want to wade through the TrekMovie article to get to the blog that links to the article you can just click here. The context is in regards to the TNG characters appearing in the comics and the possibility of TNG characters making appearences in the movie itself.
-Mike
I think he's merely pointing out that there will be similarities and that the movie's central plot starts from former established Trek, before the time shift, which changes a lot.