Opinions regarding new Star Trek movie from other sites?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Opinions regarding new Star Trek movie from other sites?

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:56 am

By "other sites" I obviously mean SDN, SB.com etc.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:27 pm

What are you looking for? I can only speak for myself, as I cannot honestly remember what the average poster thinks.

Personally I think it's going to bomb, after INS and NEM (not to mention VOY and ENT) I have very little faith in any new Trek and until I see an actual trailer and some more screenshots I'm going to hold to that.

So far the released art and cast look interesting but that is not enough to swing me to the "must see" side. I'll likely rent it or get it out of the five dollar bin or off Xbox live with a gift card.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Mixed on SB. Many seem to object to the whole reboot by time-travel thing.

Mixed on SDN, but then some there have been predicting that Star Trek XI was going to be bad even before it was announced.

Myself? The first Trek movie I'm going to go watch at the cinema.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:13 pm

I will definitely try to see it on the Big Screen.
Everything I've seen so far has me interested.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 pm

I'd say that personally, this is nothing than an action episode with lots of VFX, coolness and time travel.
I'd say the style really smells like it's dumbed down.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:52 pm

I'll wait to see it before I pass any judgement on it...

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:57 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I'd say that personally, this is nothing than an action episode with lots of VFX, coolness and time travel.
Maybe that is what Trek needs at the moment. It's not like it started out as a show stuffed with science and a moral message. TOS was more about Horatio Hornblower in space with a message tacked on, in otherwords; campy entertainment.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:40 am

The Corporal wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:I'd say that personally, this is nothing than an action episode with lots of VFX, coolness and time travel.
Maybe that is what Trek needs at the moment. It's not like it started out as a show stuffed with science and a moral message. TOS was more about Horatio Hornblower in space with a message tacked on, in otherwords; campy entertainment.
That's not true. TOS had plenty of episodes based on morals and lessons. Were they a bit dumbed down? Yes, but that's due to Paramount trying to mess with things. If this movie is in that same vein, then fine, but it just being an action movie would really just be putting the whole franchise down the toilet.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:47 am

Mith wrote:
That's not true. TOS had plenty of episodes based on morals and lessons. Were they a bit dumbed down? Yes, but that's due to Paramount trying to mess with things. If this movie is in that same vein, then fine, but it just being an action movie would really just be putting the whole franchise down the toilet.
The franchise is already down the toliet, it cannot get much lower than it is right now. Even the guys who really love Trek bugged out by the time ENT finished.

Now if this movie revitalises the franchise, so much the better but I'm going to be pretty skeptical if they choose to revive the formula that put it in the water to begin with.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:12 am

What's sad is that SW is doing the same thing.
It is clear that the series is aimed at the kiddies, so no interesting stories, no real character devellopment, just some "wow" effects (which, I'll admit, I like) and some action.

But the reason why I intend to see the latest ST movie before I pass judgement on it is because in trailers, they really cannot afford to show character moments, it takes too much time to set correctly, but actions bits can be inserted in any way and they will have an effect.

And honestly, I think that's what ST lacked in the last movies: interesting, edge of your seat action.
Sure, there were some action bits and pieces, but they weren't "edge-of-your seat", like in good action movies, for example the Bourne trilogy.

Although SW has also suffered from lack of this kind of action.
Even though there was much action in RotS, it was still just "VFX galore" kind of action.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:19 am

Praeothmin wrote:What's sad is that SW is doing the same thing.
It is clear that the series is aimed at the kiddies, so no interesting stories, no real character devellopment, just some "wow" effects (which, I'll admit, I like) and some action.
SW has indeed started the same long slow side into garbage that plagued Trek. You can only put out so much product before you start to run out of steam/ideas. Look at Dale Brown and Tom Clancy, their early books were quite good and now they've become filled with bizarre wank (Brown) and the authors politics (Clancy)
But the reason why I intend to see the latest ST movie before I pass judgement on it is because in trailers, they really cannot afford to show character moments, it takes too much time to set correctly, but actions bits can be inserted in any way and they will have an effect.
Despite everything I've said or thought condeming this movie, I will see it if I get an inkling of it being something better. If the trailers are really good I may even go to the theatre.
And honestly, I think that's what ST lacked in the last movies: interesting, edge of your seat action.
Sure, there were some action bits and pieces, but they weren't "edge-of-your seat", like in good action movies, for example the Bourne trilogy.
Indeed. I saw NEM in the theatre and at no point did I go "are Picard and crew going to make it?"
Although SW has also suffered from lack of this kind of action.
Even though there was much action in RotS, it was still just "VFX galore" kind of action.
You know, I don't remember much at all from the PT. Yet I have most of the OT committed to memory...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:02 pm

The Corporal wrote:
TNG quite filtered out the cowboy aspect of it. Interestingly, it was nice to get rough edges back in ST: First Contact, but globally, no matter the style, the messages and morals were there.
In that vein, the first four ST films conveyed that spirit rather well. That's something I noticed in a retroactive manner, since I had never seen any Trek episode before watching those movies, safe glimpses of TOS which literally irked me.
TMP is one of the most beautiful Trek films I can think of for example. It seems to be what ALIEN³ is to the ALIENS series. Most people will point to Kahn/ALIENS, but there were messages and good characters.

Here, the premise of this new one, doesn't speak to me. What's the deal? What can of interesting theme could there be? What about... heck, what about poetry?

All I've seen channels that bizarre and itching feeling that it's Jackass in space, looking for the next most stupid thing to do with high tech and with a spaceship, expecting the crew to pop beer cans at any moment on the bridge and start shouting some wazzaaa shit on subspace channels.

Of course, trailers only focus on the action side of things for blockbusters, so I still hold some hope that the producers and the director will slide some messages about the value of peace, culture, open mindedness and realization and value of your "ownself" as an individual.
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:06 pm

The Corporal wrote:The franchise is already down the toliet, it cannot get much lower than it is right now. Even the guys who really love Trek bugged out by the time ENT finished.
From what I've seen pretty much everyone agrees that the two last seasons of Enterprise were really good.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:14 pm

l33telboi wrote:
The Corporal wrote:The franchise is already down the toliet, it cannot get much lower than it is right now. Even the guys who really love Trek bugged out by the time ENT finished.
From what I've seen pretty much everyone agrees that the two last seasons of Enterprise were really good.
From what I've seen, Archer is not a displeasing character.
But well, I'm also partial to Voyager somehow, since I think it's not all crap. This is, of course, purely based on a very limited sample, but I remember an episode, full of cream and lame, which was about Janeway meeting an interesting man in the holodeck, at sometime in the early 19th century I think, and it was a good topic to explore, about what makes a person and what defines love and attraction, and it was rather clear that if this individual, who was fond of a given literature I cannot remember, had been free of the holodeck, the story would have been much more different.
A concept which, I confess, would certainly shock certain religious values and tenets.
But as I said, it's very possible that I was sort of lucky to fall on one of the few good episodes, since I remember spending some time watching a couple more and cannot remember anything particular.
If it's like SGA, which is 99% crap and 1% good, then I can understand the slack VOY got.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 pm

l33telboi wrote:
That's not to say that there were not any good episodes in the first two seasons: "Shuttlepod One", "Shadows of P'Jem", "Dear Doctor", "Dead Stop", "The Catwalk", "Fusion", "First Flight", are decent to very good episodes. The problem with the first two seasons was the stupid Temporal Cold War story arc, and the lack of an over all direction for the series. Season 3 and 4 changed that.
-Mike