Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the following stats?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:47 pm

A. No one is questioning Wong's right to spend his money as he sees fit. But given his claims of the obsession of his foes, the comparative pittance of effort and capital we put toward this stuff is a valid retort.

B. Wayne's attention to the topic had wandered a bit, then focused again on videos, but his departure was due to a squabble at SDN. He'll pop up in some fashion, I'm sure.

C. This topic has a lifespan, so fanaticism must naturally wane. As everyday technology advances to the point where some things in ST and SW just look silly, both will either have to break continuity with the old (rendering analysis-to-date moot) or become "cult classics" where you ignore the tech and just enjoy the story.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:25 pm

The Corporal wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Twenty dollars per month would add up to $240 a year. This presumes that all banner ads are set at a fixed rate, and that there are no banners that bring in more or less than that amount.

It would certainly pay the bill (or nearly so) in RSA or JMS' case, plus maybe net a tidy little profit that can be sunk back into upgrades or paying the monthy DSL/broadband service costs, ect.

Needless to say, it does not come anywhere near the other costs of maintaining his (Wong's) server for the forum and website.
-Mike
IIRC (it was a good while ago) Mike mentioned that the costs associated with SDN ran around 1000$ or so a year after donations and ads. I don't think it's setting him back in a significant way. He has enough income to support a family of four, send one child to a special school and go to the US for vacation every year.

Honestly though, I'm not sure why it matters what he pays. It's his cash and he's free to spend it as he wishes. Obviously he gets some sort of satisfaction from running the board, even if he has been largely absent for the last six months or so.

As Robert said, it's not Mike Wong's right to spend his money the way he sees fit, provided, of course, he's not doing anything illegal with it, and even then it's not our concern. The issue is that he claims all of us who hold views in opposition to his are obsessed fanatics with no life, and yet we spend comparatively little to nothing on what we consider a mere internet hobby while he spends thousands of dollars. Even from a personal time expenditure Wong puts far more into this than any of us do. JMS, Oragahn, and I combined over the last 2.5 years or so probably do not have the same posting activity here as Wong does over on SDN regardless of what capacity those posts are for. So who really is the obsessed one here, Corporal?

We're simply calling Wong out on his BS.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:31 pm

2046 wrote: As everyday technology advances to the point where some things in ST and SW just look silly, both will either have to break continuity with the old (rendering analysis-to-date moot) or become "cult classics" where you ignore the tech and just enjoy the story.
Which is precisely what has happened, in particular in Trek with ST:ENT and the more advanced look of the NX-01, and now we have something similar happening with ST XI with the near complete redesign of the Enterprise inside and out, among other things.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:58 pm

The Corporal wrote:guys like Wayne Poe have completely left it...
Poe actually poped his head in a SW debate involving the ICS less than one year ago, at SBC.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:13 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Poe actually poped his head in a SW debate involving the ICS less than one year ago, at SBC.
What is he doing right now? Considering I have an email from him in my inbox saying that he is done. He may come back once and a while, maintaining a slight interest for example. Heck despite my distaste for the whole thing, even I post in the VS forum on SDN once and a while.
Mike DiCenso wrote: As Robert said, it's not Mike Wong's right to spend his money the way he sees fit, provided, of course, he's not doing anything illegal with it, and even then it's not our concern. The issue is that he claims all of us who hold views in opposition to his are obsessed fanatics with no life, and yet we spend comparatively little to nothing on what we consider a mere internet hobby while he spends thousands of dollars. Even from a personal time expenditure Wong puts far more into this than any of us do. JMS, Oragahn, and I combined over the last 2.5 years or so probably do not have the same posting activity here as Wong does over on SDN regardless of what capacity those posts are for. So who really is the obsessed one here, Corporal?

We're simply calling Wong out on his BS.
-Mike
I'd be willing to bet that he is simply going off old info or hasn't bothered to update himself. Though I don't recall saying anyone was obsessed.
A. No one is questioning Wong's right to spend his money as he sees fit. But given his claims of the obsession of his foes, the comparative pittance of effort and capital we put toward this stuff is a valid retort.
The VS forum on SDN is one of the least active on the board, probably the least after the private groups. I think it is safe to say he isn't keeping the board up for just that reason. Despite all the recent board drama it has become quite plain that the members consider it a community and would rather not have the board disappear. There's even been proposals to merge the VS forum with Other Sci-Fi or merge all the sci-fi forums into one.
Last edited by The Corporal on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:41 pm

The Vs. forum may or may not be that active, but the topic is. Seems like most active Vs. forum threads get moved to the hidden forum(s), and of course the "pure" franchise threads aren't. Just witness the complaints about packing crates withstanding blaster fire in the CW thread, no doubt soon to be followed by complaints about consoles exploding with shields up. ;-)

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 pm

2046 wrote:The Vs. forum may or may not be that active, but the topic is. Seems like most active Vs. forum threads get moved to the hidden forum(s), and of course the "pure" franchise threads aren't. Just witness the complaints about packing crates withstanding blaster fire in the CW thread, no doubt soon to be followed by complaints about consoles exploding with shields up. ;-)
Those locked or moved threads are generally done so because of rule violations or the topic being easily answered, like the "canon policy" thread. Besides, once it's gone to the HOS there isn't much point in even reading it. Unless endless dogpiling is your thing.

I haven't looked in the CW thread though, my interest in the show is around zero. Especially after seeing a bit of the movie.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:54 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote: So who really is the obsessed one here, Corporal?
To be fair...Kendrall hasn't exactly exhibited any outward signs of obsession. I know this wasn't the intent of the address, but the fact that you were directly addressing Kendrall, plus the tone, makes it appear as a direct insult.