Polygon's BK: The Jedi must be abolished

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Polygon's BK: The Jedi must be abolished

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:58 pm

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/15/15303 ... nd-of-jedi

(spoilers relative to the next SW movie)

It is the author's reaction to the long teaser.
LUKE: "I know only one truth. It's time for the Jedi... to end."

There are some good points BK makes and I have myself pointed out the plague the Jedi Order was ("they're delusional douchebags and really come off as social justice warriors in their own twisted way", "the Jedi don't love the Force, they're afraid of it [and] should be seen as nothing more than boring, miraculously-not-pedos, sick and quasi-sociopathic pretentious monks in bathrobes"), but largely goes wild on the interpretation of Luke's words.
We don't know his opinion at all and what griefs he holds against the Jedi Order.
Above all, the article contains a number of technical mistakes

For starters, Anakin wasn't kidnapped.
Secondly, QGJ had no immediate ressources to take the kid's mother with them.
Also, no, no one could mount an attack against the Hutt to free some slaves, and no, it wouldn't have ended the Hutt's reign in this region. They were not just a bunch of thugs.
Besides, law had nothing to do with that because Tatooine was out of bounds.
Also, Vader didn't care much about the Death Star in ANH, even though he saw its construction since day one and stood by, knowing full well that by the sheer size of that thing, it could only do massive amounts of pain to any living thing the size of a world.

Now, it seems they are trying to correct the mess they started with TFA, namely that they had Luke lack any retrospective capability to judge the Order until He failed too because of doing the same thing his father suffered from; namely cutting ties between a young padawan (Kylo) and his or her parents (both of which are now dead, in and out of universe).

As I said back then:
Me wrote:Another reason why TFA is just a tragedy is that Luke essentially torpedo'd the entire "steal the kid from their parents if they have supa-bacteries in ther blood" mantra from the old Jedi Order, but [TFA] had Luke do the exact same thing!
Good luck to the writers of Ep 8 who will have to rationalize that!
So Luke does agree with his father to some degree, although he has the advantage of a more distant, post-war and post-empire perspective.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Polygon's BK: The Jedi must be abolished

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:02 pm

This kind of stuff makes you think twice about the Jedi Order and what it would have developed into:

I was a Tantric sex slave

Perhaps sounding disturbingly funny at first, its content unveils a much grimmer reality.
More to the point, I found this paragraph quite relevant to the topic of the Jedi Order:
June Campbell wrote: For years June Campbell was the `consort' of a senior Tibetan Buddhist monk. She was threatened with death if she broke her vow of secrecy. But then enlightenment can be like that.

(...)

"You have to ask what is the relationship between belief and how a society structures itself," she said. In Tibetanism, power lies in the hands of men who had often been traumatised by being removed from their mothers at the age of two and taken to an all-male monastery. "Some were allowed visits from their mothers and sisters but always in secrecy - so that they came to associate women with what must be hidden."
Pushing the idea further, let's remember how love relations were absolutely forbidden within the Jedi Order. Such is basically the whole emo subplot of the prequels and why, amongst other things, Anakin goes ape shit on Jedi students. So IF we were to consider for a moment that there were rules permitting sexual relations, whether within the Jedi Order or between members of said order and random people outside of it, we'd have to understand that intercourse would only be realized in a context entirely devoid of love, pushing your average Jedi closer to a self-shaming routine would a transgression –allowance of emotions– would ever happen. The far reaching social consequences of an institutionalized loveless-sex only rule is a concept that would open a whole can of worms here.
As such, it would appear far more likely that the order would have forbidden sex altogether.
Which hardly makes things any better!

Before the prequels, the Jedi were so mysterious and cool. But now... only a negatively biased portrayal of the Sith would make you think twice about joining their ranks.