Re: Distances in Star Trek

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:34 am

Ugh, them. They shoehorn things to fit the TNG TM speeds. Can't stand that site.

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:46 am

Due to an account error, I'll re-post this.

I don't agree where they plug in travel time at "Max Warp", but they keep track of lots of data points.

http://www.stdimension.org/int/Cartogra ... ceList.htm

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:38 am

We essentially do the same thing here, but better and without all the pretentious graphics.
-Mike

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:23 am

My interest in it is more having a full list of all of the real stars used in Star Trek, especially Federation worlds. Then finding the x,y,z galactic coordinates, and plot some minimum sizes for the Federation. I've already got some of that started. But only some of the closer to Earth stars or important ones.

Also using this to make some general comparisons to other franchises.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:08 pm

The problem being is that a lot of those in the list come from non-canon sources (DS9 TM, for example) or makes the assumption that any numbered Rigel planet is actually in orbit of the real star Rigel (a blue giant), which anyone who noted the color of the star and the light it gives off would see that these planets orbit various yellow-white stars. On top of that. It's a far from complete list as the website went down well before Star Trek: Enterprise's Season 2 aired much less any significant part of Season 1. So take what you read in there with heavy grains of salt.

There is an actual canon map of the Federation first seen in TNG's "Conspiracy" and updated for DS9 in Keiko's classroom, which gives some locations we can work from and a general shape of the Federation. For example, we know canonically that Vulcan is a little more than 16 light years from Earth and it shows in a rough fashion the relative, though distorted by perspective, locations.
-Mike

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:25 am

I don't disagree with anything you said Mike.

There are a lot of tech manual references and a few leaps of logic, but that is hardly uncommon. And like most scifi sites there are a few places where they make a big deal about something not making sense that has long been explained, or missing an obvious alternative because they want to complain. I was mostly interested in the compiled list. As always, I planned to source the reference myself for the distance map I'm working on.

Any reference that relies on "MAX WARP" speed to calculate the distance always falls to the obvious question. Which one?
Even using the tech manual speeds the Ent-D has a top speed of warp 9.6, but an emergency speed of warp 9.8. and that's in season 1. Seasons later after several engine upgrades, no higher values were given to my knowledge, while similar ships like the Nebula class Prometheus in DS9 "Second Sight" is being boosted to a maximum warp of 9.5 while the Bonchune was able to match and over take the Prometheus traveling at warp 9.9.

That's not even taking speeds from any canon source, which are generally much higher than the tech manuals. Which the link you provided already shows.

So not a site I would base an argument off of, but a place I would mine some information. Sorry for rambling.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:44 am

And it's more than the site using the non-canon TM information, it has just outright factually wrong information, period. One reference on that page you linked to claims that Star Trek: The Motion Picture has a reference to the star Betelgeuse. But that is just plain wrong. There is no reference whatsoever to it in any dialog or even in some of the earliest drafts of the screenplay as far back as when it was "In Thy Image" for Star Trek: Phase II.

The only thing I can think of in that regard is that this guy is again using sketchy non-canon background information, like maybe a reference to some of the alien races seen in the background at Starfleet Headquarters or in the Enterprise's rec room during the crew briefing.

So whatever else, beware when skimming ST Dimensions for any kind of information.
-Mike

RomalaG.whero

Distances in Star Trek

Post by RomalaG.whero » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Yes, yes it did. If Paramount had been smart about it, they would have held Star Trek Beyond to release on the 8th.