Attn. SDN - an issue I'd like to resolve

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
vivftp
Redshirt

Attn. SDN - an issue I'd like to resolve

Post by vivftp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:01 am

How y'all. If you're wondering why this is here, well this is the only place I know of where SDN people reside, and where I can post a subject like this, since SB.com has a rule against such threads.

This isn't really a thread to call anyone out or anything, but to settle an issue I've seen crop up on SDN a few times since my departure there. It has to do with a line I typed in one of my last posts there which has, as far as I can tell, been misquoted and twisted, and I'd like to settle this.

I can't quote the text in question since the thread resides in SDNs HoS, but I'll try to type it as best I can from memory (even though this is at least a year or so old). IIRC, I said:

"I'm more then willing to learn new things, but if it requires months of research or learning an entire subject just to answer a question relating to a small issue on Star Trek, then I'm not going to bother."

Whatever the actual text was, ever since it's been used by SDNers to mean I'm not willing to ever learn something new, or learn science. I've seen it come up a few times in threads over there, and I'd like to get this done with once and for all.

Now first, I'd like to ask if any of the SDN residents might be able to find the actual quote and post it here, as I'd like to know if my memory of it is accurate or not. I don't know which thread it was in, but it was one of the last couple of threads I participated in.

I suppose this isn't a thread to really debate anything, I just want this issue brought to light so it can be dealt with once and for all.

Now I suppose if someone feels my above position pertainng to having to do extensive studies on a subject to learn more about how to figure out certain things in Trek is stupid, then I suppose we can debate that. I'll state for the record that I'm quite willing to learn new things, even to figure out how to better understand things in Trek. My particular issue was with the amount of research and the length of time it'd take to learn certain things to grasp some of these concepts. There's a point where I consider things reasonable and ok, and a point where I'd consider it a tad bit overboard to do all that work when my only goal is to learn about such a relatively small issue like some aspect of Star Trek. Nowhere did I say learning for the sake of learning is wasteful or something I wouldn't want to do.

Anyways, let's see how this turns out. So... anyone? :)

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:04 am

I believe this is what you are looking for.
vivftp wrote:And I'm more than happy to read a book - if I have a genuine interest in learning the topic. In these cases my only interest in this topic is in how it relates to these instances. For me that doesn't then warrant me launching into lengthy research to learn all about something which I really have no interest in.
Or at least that's the closest thing I can find to it.

vivftp
Redshirt

Post by vivftp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:56 am

That is it exactly, thank you very much :)

I suppose my memory wasn't too far off, I think I got the gist of it.

So my question from this point is, how can that bit of dialogue be taken to mean I'm not willing to learn anything at all? This is my question to those at SDN who have been referencing that statement since I made it.

If you'd like an example of what I'm talking about, the most recent example was obtained for me from the HoS, and spoken by Darth Wong:

"I have a website full of arguments. You have nothing but empty claims, and appeals to some other person's authority (a moron who admitted on this forum that he had no interest in learning science)."

All I said in that bit was that I had no interest in researching those particular subjects (whatever they were) at great length to be able to understand all the concepts behind them. I don't really know what the circumstances were that prompted me to make that statement, but if I had to take a guess, it'd be regarding me asking questions to more knowledgable people about issues relating to real science issues about something shown in Trek to see if I could get an answer, as opposed to having to first learn all the scientific principles behind it, which would take a very long time.

[/quote]

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:10 pm

vivftp wrote:That is it exactly, thank you very much :)

I suppose my memory wasn't too far off, I think I got the gist of it.

So my question from this point is, how can that bit of dialogue be taken to mean I'm not willing to learn anything at all? This is my question to those at SDN who have been referencing that statement since I made it.

If you'd like an example of what I'm talking about, the most recent example was obtained for me from the HoS, and spoken by Darth Wong:

"I have a website full of arguments. You have nothing but empty claims, and appeals to some other person's authority (a moron who admitted on this forum that he had no interest in learning science)."

All I said in that bit was that I had no interest in researching those particular subjects (whatever they were) at great length to be able to understand all the concepts behind them. I don't really know what the circumstances were that prompted me to make that statement, but if I had to take a guess, it'd be regarding me asking questions to more knowledgable people about issues relating to real science issues about something shown in Trek to see if I could get an answer, as opposed to having to first learn all the scientific principles behind it, which would take a very long time.
[/quote]

People are still surprised that the croonies at SDN would distort and cherry pick one's word to make a fool out of him and use that as ammo for more libel?

Chances are that you may be wasting some time. The trend I've seen over there is to insult people and laugh at things they feel so secure to make fun about.
Other than that, they'd generally ignore the stuff they'd rather not be called on, or which might show them wrong.