SB.com: Bringing up the ICS is trolling?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

SB.com: Bringing up the ICS is trolling?

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:41 pm

After Thanatos posted here to defend his moderation choices over on SB.com, I decided to take a quick look over there and found this thread.

A selection of interesting comments:
DarkTemplar wrote:I only said it to forstall Facehugger percieving what i said in this thread to be trolling and bannning me. It may appear to be snide, but i didn't intend for it to be so. I only said it so that the mods will give warning before they ban me. Unfurntunatly, what i have said in a previous thread on this subject has been percieved by facehugger to be trolling. Hence, my sincere, but somewhat ambigous comment. I realize now that it could be taken as being snide, and humbly apologize.
Cpl Facehugger wrote:Yes, it was trolling because you bascially tried to derail the thread into an idiotic discussion of the ICS.
Admiral Vice wrote:That was a major thread derailment. The ICS shouldn't even be comming up unless it pertains directly to some issue that intersects with the way SW technology works vis a vis the HV.
I realize Admiral Vice doesn't appear to be a moderator, but is this really an accurate description of SB.com policy?

Is any critical discussion of the ICS, which is widely held to be inaccurate and controversial, and which has been retconned at a remarkable rate by other EU ("C" level) materials, is considered trolling on SB.com? It pretty clearly is relevant if anyone is claiming ICS firepower figures in order to advance a point, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:58 pm

I think it goes back to another "trolling" in another thread.
What we see is only the result of something else.

Basically, the ICS is considered correct.

Making any remark that disputes the ICS' correctness, in a thread that had nothing to do with the ICS, is unacceptable.

A recent ICS thread was made and was not closed. Ok, it was fairly light in actual constructive content, but it has shown that if one has gripes with the ICS, I suppose he's welcome to provide documented arguments against the book, in a detailed and clear fashion.

This is because the ICS, unlike other sources, has generated a lot of trouble at sb.com after it got released, and now they want to "contain" any related ICS stuff.

Other disputable sources for other universes don't get that treatment, and you'll not get slammed for suggesting that source X for an universe Y doesn't seem to be in touch with the reality of said universe.

It's just that the ICS is a *very* sensible topic.

Of course, if the AOTC: ICS had never been so extravagant, this would have never occured, as simple as that.

There's also the fact that sb.com is a funny affair. Its plebe as a whole is apparently hated by Wong, yet has been greatly influenced by SDN people from time to time.
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:44 pm

It is a little funny, that.

A question, while I'm asking you for the state of SB.com:

By most of the population... is the ICS taken to be C ("continuity") or G ("george") material, or do most not recognize the difference?

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:20 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:By most of the population... is the ICS taken to be C ("continuity") or G ("george") material, or do most not recognize the difference?
It's considered above other C material, because it relates directly to the movies. Don't know if that's what most of the population believes in though, but it seems to be a rule.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:22 pm

l33telboi wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:By most of the population... is the ICS taken to be C ("continuity") or G ("george") material, or do most not recognize the difference?
It's considered above other C material, because it relates directly to the movies. Don't know if that's what most of the population believes in though, but it seems to be a rule.
Well, I noticed that some of the Wars debaters from SDN, while on ST.com seemed to be pushing the idea that the ICS is G canon in spite of the fact that it's been definitively labeled multiple times as no different from any other EU source - i.e., C:
Chee wrote:which category (C or G) the Incredible Cross-sections, Visual Dictionary and the Inside the Worlds belongs?

Theses books are treated no differently than any other books; anything created by the author would be C-level. I would guess that 95% of the text info in those books is created by the author or is based on information created by another author other than George Lucas.
It occurred to me that contentions as to the ICS being special within the EU may not have been challenged much on SB.com.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:44 pm

l33telboi wrote:
Which is just wrong.

The fact that it relates to the movies doesn't mean that the extra new material that it presents, along already G level material stripped from the movies or novelizations, is above all other C materials.

It is merely a construct of certain warsies (and I insist on certain) to enforce the idea that the ICS looms above any other EU source.

But look at Chee's clear cut policy, and you'll see no such distinction at all.

It is just a myth.