Reddit's DaystromInstitute

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Reddit's DaystromInstitute

Post by 2046 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:03 pm

If you follow my blog you've seen references to Reddit lately, and I have been meaning to gank ideas from there for posting here for our own discussion.

Suffice it to say, it is like having multiple 359s posting simultaneously, meaning it is one of, if not the, premiere sites for Trek Tech and setting discussion active today that I know of. The signal to noise ratio is decent, but I find the place too busy and too repetitve. You can get the same question or idea floated a dozen times, but occasionally really new gems (or really new stinkers) of ideas come out.

I actually haven't been there or here much in days, but it is one of my prime spots on geek rounds. Alas, there is nothing even remotely similar for Star Wars.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Reddit's DaystromInstitute

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:29 pm

The Reddit format is just one notch about old school MySpace.
How did this forum become so popular? Was there a large amount of liberty given to users?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:43 pm

I can't speak to Reddit's popularity generally. The upvoting and downvoting is probably the biggest difference compared to other forum technologies, allowing for a "democratic phrenzy" to overtake unpopular views.

To my mind, it is basically a flat-page Boardhost message board (that's old-school) with voting on posts.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:28 am

The format is just to unbearable. I think the voting system was just an attractive way for all sorts of sycophants to act as generals upon other people's opinions. The terrible layout alone is a strong deterrent. I've skimmed several reddits and there's simply way too much noise.

Although at least they do have a lot of activity... :(

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:47 am

Too much activity, for me. I tried keeping up for awhile but there's just too much, and it is so repetitive.