Engaging SciFights

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Engaging SciFights

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:19 am

Firmus Piett wrote:Anyway, I caught up with the YouTube argument today. I was a little surprised at just how forgiving ST-V-SW appeared to be after what I had already read up until this point, even hinting at possible collaboration. Of-course, the forever zealous Idazmi showed little interest in collaborating with a gross Star Trek deflationist. I guess he could've been your fan, so long as you absolutely agreed with him ;)
Actually, based on his style and what sources he used to over-inflate Trek tech, I do believe that Imazm7 is none other than our very own KirkSkywalker who became one of only two people ever to be actually banned from this forum.

Firmus Piett wrote: It does bug me a little bit that his misinformation gets so many views. In his latest SW videos he claimed that the official length of ISD's (1600meters) is in-fact the creation of "fan boys" and that the ships true length is only ~600 meters. He based this on a single image which depicts a ship clearly very different to those which appeared in the original trilogy. He dishonestly goes on to claim that Saxton confirmed the canonicity of this image, as if this would somehow be at all within Saxton's interests or jurisdiction. The mans a spoon, and personally, I think that Brian Young is out of his league, and by a good margin, lol.
The blueprints he chose to use for that are not and never were canon. They are fan made drawing by a man named Geoffrey Mandel, and are not officially licensed material. The drawings are, however, based on an official backstage scale reference drawing by Joe Johnston, the production designer for Star Wars. Saxton did refer to the Mandel drawing on his SWTC website, but due to misinformation given him, he mistook it for official material.
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:44 am

To clear things up, Idazmi7 IS T'lonak, who may or may not be KSW. And to be fair to me, I had no idea as to the extent of his rabid-ness when we first met back in 2012. I thought he was just a random Trekkie when I first met him on deviantArt, and invited him over to ASVS, unaware of the clusterfuck that was going to be unleashed.

To make things scarier, he's also been in arguments with Vader999, a rabid Warsie (and Glenn Beck fan) that Watchdog and I have also both encountered. I can only imagine what the collision between the two must have been like...

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:15 pm

(edit: Re: Firmus Piett and surprise at my forgiveness)

Well, up until that point, I did not know several things about him. Some of his videos I had watched up to that point weren't too bad ... a bit of Trek inflationism and video sleight-of-hand, but I had not yet seen anything to suggest more, and had not read any of his comment debates. He seemed tamer than Brian, rather than equal-but-opposite.

I was in error.

As in politics, one should vet people closely before suggesting any closer relations.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:47 am

2046 wrote: The mention of his video views made me think of that Idazmi7 guy. His videos have thousands of views, usually ... his lowest view count would be a huge highlight for Young.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Idazmi7/videos

And this despite the fact that I have actually driven traffic and views to Young, a necessary evil.
1) Might I suggest you take a step back, and pretend Brian Young does not exist? While you don't seem to care to the degree some claim, it is a bit disturbing that you are talking about him so much.

2) That Idazmi7 seems to not understand what bothers people about Screwattack's GokuVS Superman Death Battle, but then ScrewAttack show a pro-DC Comics bias, and Idazmi7 seems to be a Superman fan.
2046 wrote: That brought on another thought ... if Idazmi7 were to get in front of a camera and speak, he would basically be Brian Young on the other side, what with equivalent levels of video sleight-of-hand being afoot. Case in point is his comparison of mental powers where he suggests Charlie X is proof of Trek/Federation superiority versus Star Wars and its Force-users.

While having these thoughts, lo and behold Idazmi7 appeared in my Youtube comments. I was tempted to post something about "Engaging Idazmi7" but that would hardly be fair, since he hasn't been hostile or sniping like Brian.

https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=8VsRvLpQpFc

Still, I think it is only fair that I take Idazmi to task for video sleight-of-hand in my blog.
If "they" are referencing Star Trek TAS in the live action productions then aren't they making TAS canon?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:44 pm

Lucky wrote:
2046 wrote: The mention of his video views made me think of that Idazmi7 guy. His videos have thousands of views, usually ... his lowest view count would be a huge highlight for Young.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Idazmi7/videos

And this despite the fact that I have actually driven traffic and views to Young, a necessary evil.
1) Might I suggest you take a step back, and pretend Brian Young does not exist? While you don't seem to care to the degree some claim, it is a bit disturbing that you are talking about him so much.
Way to play into his "obsession" propaganda, ass. He couldn't have asked for better. How about you go tell him to stop making videos about whatever I say, either on my old site or the blog or elsewhere? The only difference is that I name names.

Indeed, you have mentioned Saxton and Wong in messages at least 75 times, and as of now a search for "Brian" under your name pulls up 9 more matches than for me (88 vs. 79). God, you're so obsessed.

In all seriousness, he's the Bush or Obama of the other side. One should expect a certain amount of attention, especially when one starts attacking directly.
If "they" are referencing Star Trek TAS in the live action productions then aren't they making TAS canon?
(headdesk)

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:32 am

Khas wrote: Vader999, a rabid Warsie (and Glenn Beck fan)
That is the strangest thing I have heard in awhile. Most SDN-types break so hard left they only carry paddles on the right sides of their boats.

But, that note does anticipate my send-up of extremists of both sides of our respective aisle, using a left/right spectrum . . .

http://weblog.st-v-sw.net/2015/06/elsew ... nship.html

(BTW, surprise, surprise, Idazmi is apparently a young-Earth creationist.)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:36 am

2046 wrote: (BTW, surprise, surprise, Idazmi is apparently a young-Earth creationist.)
So is Vader999 - who claimed that Darwinian evolution is a 'poorly thought-out theory'. AND who has in his favorites on DeviantArt, a pic that says "Believing homosexuality is a sin isn't homophobia".

Should tell you just what kind of mindset we're dealing with here...

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:58 am

Khas wrote:
2046 wrote: (BTW, surprise, surprise, Idazmi is apparently a young-Earth creationist.)
So is Vader999 - who claimed that Darwinian evolution is a 'poorly thought-out theory'. AND who has in his favorites on DeviantArt, a pic that says "Believing homosexuality is a sin isn't homophobia".

Should tell you just what kind of mindset we're dealing with here...
Well in the latter case a mindset not terribly different from my own. I certainly feel the term is brandished as a club in lieu of an actual argument, be they rooted in Christian love or secular rationality, to silence or otherwise delegitimize debate.

And I don't think I'm a crazy, foaming at the mouth extremist. Net yet anyway. ;)

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:16 am

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:24 pm

2046 wrote:Way to play into his "obsession" propaganda, ass. He couldn't have asked for better. How about you go tell him to stop making videos about whatever I say, either on my old site or the blog or elsewhere? The only difference is that I name names.
I have talked about this with him in the past (like err, maybe a year ago or so) and he claimed little interest in reading your blog. He apparently doesn't regular forums anymore, either. So it seems he probably hears about a lot of your ideas second hand, either with or without credit, and addresses them..

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:35 pm

I picked up on some young earth creationism from Idazmi7 but I've never seen him explicitly state it. I once saw him = attempt to discredit evolution with the "evidence" that scientists apparently "ignored".... Orion would surely be very disappointed.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:11 pm

I am aware of Brian's research habits generally, insofar as what he has reported of himself.

I looked for the convo between Idazmi and someone where I7 said evolution was flawed and they spoke of resurrecting Darwin, but didn't see it and Google didn't have it. If I come across it I'll try to remember to bring it.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Firmus Piett wrote:
2046 wrote:Way to play into his "obsession" propaganda, ass. He couldn't have asked for better. How about you go tell him to stop making videos about whatever I say, either on my old site or the blog or elsewhere? The only difference is that I name names.
I have talked about this with him in the past (like err, maybe a year ago or so) and he claimed little interest in reading your blog. He apparently doesn't regular forums anymore, either. So it seems he probably hears about a lot of your ideas second hand, either with or without credit, and addresses them..
I have to comment on this. I have to say that if what you're saying is true, Firmus, it would go a long ways in explaining how Brian could make such fundamentally flawed reporting of critics of his work short of outright malicious lies about them. That's what I assume (to be nice to Brian) was that he was getting his information on critics second hand via Tyralak or Ted or whoever telling him, and giving him an emotion distorted version.

I mean, in his debating with Starshipdown a while back, I got a huge laugh at Brian's big cock up in claiming that we don't watch his videos and don't know a thing about what's in them. Yes, it is tough to download his videos, but that doesn't stop me, it's just a bit inconvenient. But I do know what's in most of them as anyone who's read my critiques knows. He made the same claim about 359, and 359 has each point in Brian's phaser case study marked out with full quotes, and time stamps provided along with each counterpoint.

So for myself and 359, we'd both have to be making things up about what in his videos, both on Sci-Fights and YouTube, which is what Brian is implying by extension.

What was worse for me, and makes me really wonder, was when he responded to me on Nerd Culture in his Q&A on YouTube, and he was directly reading off the comment, he still managed to bungle it up! He claimed towards the end of it that I'd thrown in some insulting comments, but anyone who'd read my comment would know that's not true at all. That means Brian is the liar here, either intentionally or by error, but still lying. So I don't completely dismiss the idea that Brian is directly reading our comments here and elsewhere, but is either just plain cocking up and misunderstanding what people say because he gets too emotional, or he is deliberately making strawman lies about us and our points with a calculated malice.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:58 am

2046 wrote:
Way to play into his "obsession" propaganda, ass. He couldn't have asked for better. How about you go tell him to stop making videos about whatever I say, either on my old site or the blog or elsewhere? The only difference is that I name names.

Indeed, you have mentioned Saxton and Wong in messages at least 75 times, and as of now a search for "Brian" under your name pulls up 9 more matches than for me (88 vs. 79). God, you're so obsessed.

In all seriousness, he's the Bush or Obama of the other side. One should expect a certain amount of attention, especially when one starts attacking directly.
1) I'm not sure if this is humor or anger.

2) It sounds like Brian's behavior is annoying you on a personal level.

If Brian means what he says then you should oblige his request. There is a decent chance Brian has issues that he needs to or is working out just like anyone else. He did seemingly drop off the face of the Earth rather suddenly as I recall for reasons that I'm unclear on.

If Brian is just trying to annoy you/feed his ego, then as they say with nuclear war: "The only winning move is not to play."

Either way, there must be a number of people who make similar claims to Brian that you could use as examples use in Brian's place.

3) As far as I know Saxton and Wong have never asked me to stop talking about them, and they don't seem to annoy you as much as Brian seems to currently be annoying you.

I've also never tried to make contact with Curtis Saxton or Mike Wong.
2046 wrote: (headdesk)
Your speech to text software must have malfunctioned. Could you please restate in more easily understood manner and elaborate?

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:02 am

I dare say anyone caught up in the versus debate is at some point guilty of a lot of the behaviour they accuse other people of. Such is the nature of the beast. We could all do with deep breaths and a chill out coffee once in a while (or beer, if that's your preference!).