Engaging SciFights

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Re: Engaging SciFights

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:01 pm

The mention of his video views made me think of that Idazmi7 guy. His videos have thousands of views, usually ... his lowest view count would be a huge highlight for Young.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Idazmi7/videos

And this despite the fact that I have actually driven traffic and views to Young, a necessary evil.

I haven't seen much of his work ... it just hasn't been on my radar ... but he basically posts videos similar in style to Vince's (or vice versa, I should say).

That brought on another thought ... if Idazmi7 were to get in front of a camera and speak, he would basically be Brian Young on the other side, what with equivalent levels of video sleight-of-hand being afoot. Case in point is his comparison of mental powers where he suggests Charlie X is proof of Trek/Federation superiority versus Star Wars and its Force-users.

While having these thoughts, lo and behold Idazmi7 appeared in my Youtube comments. I was tempted to post something about "Engaging Idazmi7" but that would hardly be fair, since he hasn't been hostile or sniping like Brian.

https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=8VsRvLpQpFc

Still, I think it is only fair that I take Idazmi to task for video sleight-of-hand in my blog.

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:27 pm

Brian Young, I would say, has a small number of regular viewers, made up from people who are genuinely interested in this type of thing. Brian's channel is more than likely only going to appeal to relatively serious sci fi cross-over fans and debaters. I wouldn't knock Brian's channel for it's view count, because this is a relatively niche subject (at least when discussing the nuts and bolts of it all). I mean, if you wouldn't mind me asking, what is your blogs daily viewing? Or the website? I would imagine that they too are relatively modest (although probably not quite so much due to google searches and key words).
Last edited by Firmus Piett on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:37 pm

The view / subscriber count of Idazmi7's channel is massive compared to my own, but that is, I'd wager, the result of cheap searches like "star trek vs star wars" and "enterprise vs death star".

This is the guy who believes that a single phaser strike from the Enterprise can destroys "a planetary surface many times over" and that the Enterprise could withstand two shots from the Death Star superlaser. I'm not sure if you really want to waste time on this guy.
But still, it would be a nice to see you address some other names besides Brian Young and Maybe, as Idazm7 is (IIRC) a fan of yours, it might even knock some sense into him. But I doubt it.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:52 am

A fan of mine? It didn't show.

Suffice it to say that the "hasn't been hostile or sniping" thing crashed and burned pretty quick. He claims TAS is canon and was rejecting directly quoted evidence to the contrary as old hearsay for no reason. He then tried to twist an old segue of mine, claimed I was being a conspiracy-theorist, and declared that a point of mine was not to be taken seriously.

So yeah, I see no evidence of him being a fan. And at the moment, I think I might just like it that way.

I say that because he started editing posts after I had replied and trying to lie about it, at which point ... even beyond his earlier rudeness ... I became rather less polite.

Don't even get me started on his general off-the-wall argumentation. That's a whole 'nother post.

Anywho, my video view count is laughable, and I can count my subscribers on less than two hands, but then I only sporadically integrate it into blogging, and I never mentioned it on the old main site. There, I have around 5000 average monthly unique visitors to the site, ~250 average visits per day, ~400 daily pageviews, and per Blogger I average around 150 pageviews daily for the blog, so I imagine if I were to integrate it better I could rival Brian. But all that would mean is that Idazmi7 would then be kicking our asses equally.

(Also ... who the hell are all those people? Sometimes my stats, pitiful as they are, still amaze me.)

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 am

Actually, Vince, you are also kicking my Youtube ass, and even Brian's quite often. And as I went to look I noticed the "RationalOrion" thing ... is that the guy from "StarDestroyer.Net Has Got To Go" or whatever that is?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:42 am

2046 wrote:Actually, Vince, you are also kicking my Youtube ass, and even Brian's quite often. And as I went to look I noticed the "RationalOrion" thing ... is that the guy from "StarDestroyer.Net Has Got To Go" or whatever that is?
Yes, he is. Believe me, he's another can of worms altogether. I know, because he watches me on DeviantArt (long, bizarre story how THAT came about. Only worth your time if you want to facepalm.)

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:47 am

Orion is an interesting individual, yes. He was severely traumatized as a child and has never truly recovered. He was the fan I was thinking of, not Idazmi7.... whhoops.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:02 am

Yeah, that one ... he e-mailed me once in March 2014. I tried to suggest, politely and in multiple paragraphs, that this hobby may not be healthy for him. He never replied.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:07 am

Incidentally, he found me via Idazmi7's channel, so ... huh.

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:10 pm

The man detests SDN with a fiery passion fueled by his troubled past. From what I have seen he champions Idazmi7 (and to a lesser extent yourself) because you also dislike SDN. I wasn't having a petty dig at ya, lol.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Idazmi7 is a pathological liar - or at the very least ignorant of basic Star Trek. He mangled the DS9 timeline in one argument I had with him, in order to make his position look reasonable, and he made an argument that Dominion ships were 'vastly more powerful' than Federation ones by comparing the Valiant to a Dominion Battleship - a deliberate weighting of an argument if I've ever seen one.

I actually wrote a few pages about my 'debate' with him on my site: http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/sci-fi-anal ... responses/

One of the regular commentators to his videos (Gramps Ford) attacked me because I made a written response to Idazmi, rather than a video one. To GF, this invalidated my response, because I didn't obey an 'unwritten rule'. In other words, I think they were looking for excuses not to address anything.

RationalOrion is someone with whom I had a dispute with last year, when I felt he was smearing my name on his Facebook page. We agreed to ignore each other after negotiating to remove any mention of the other from our respective pages.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Firmus Piett wrote:The view / subscriber count of Idazmi7's channel is massive compared to my own, but that is, I'd wager, the result of cheap searches like "star trek vs star wars" and "enterprise vs death star".
Sure, but that's what you get when you go "style over substance" route that people like Wayne Poe and Mike Wong were (in)famous for back in the day which drew a lot of people to the ASVS newsgroup and later SDN. A flashy showman will usually attract more attention than a quiet lab bound scientist.

What the actual breakdown of how people arrive there, is something else. Starshipdown I think really pegged it and his (her?) prime issue with Brian's format is that it is pretty much at this point an echo chamber.
Firmus Piett wrote:This is the guy who believes that a single phaser strike from the Enterprise can destroys "a planetary surface many times over" and that the Enterprise could withstand two shots from the Death Star superlaser. I'm not sure if you really want to waste time on this guy.
I'm not supporting Imazm7 here, but technically speaking, he is right about things like that... if you cherrypick canon Trek in much the same way Wayne Poe and Mike Wong did with Star Wars.

Single phaser shot to destroy a planet's surface? No problem, just take the "blast half a continent" quote from "The Cage", then add in the concerns the crew had with blasting through a planetary shield from the opposite side of the planet in TOS' "Whom Gods Destroy", and mix it in with what we see in TNG's "A Matter of Time".

And Presto! Instant total planetary surface kill for the win with a single phaser shot.

Take a couple hits or more from a DET superlaser Death Star? No sweat, just pull the " Decibels eighteen to the twelfth power" quote from TOS' "A Taste of Armageddon" and derive all shield strength from that, and not surprisingly even a DET Death Star needs multiple shots to hurt even the TOS-era Enterprise.
Firmus Piett wrote:But still, it would be a nice to see you address some other names besides Brian Young and Maybe, as Idazm7 is (IIRC) a fan of yours, it might even knock some sense into him. But I doubt it.
My take on this is that there are others out there, but they've kept a low profile over the years, among them Ted Collins the current admin of the SDN Imperialwiki, and he used to debate here on SFJN.

But Brian sort of put himself out there in the spotlight, or at least tried to, and he's made himself more of a target by saying some pretty awful things about Robert Anderson and myself, among others, while at the same time avoiding any real discussion by shutting down any means to address what he (Brian) has said, and this after using one of the oldest and dirtiest tactics worthy of SJWs and radfems on Tumblir. On top of that banning us, while continuing to snipe at us, even though in either case we did nothing to warrant that.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:18 pm

2046 wrote: Anywho, my video view count is laughable, and I can count my subscribers on less than two hands, but then I only sporadically integrate it into blogging, and I never mentioned it on the old main site. There, I have around 5000 average monthly unique visitors to the site, ~250 average visits per day, ~400 daily pageviews, and per Blogger I average around 150 pageviews daily for the blog, so I imagine if I were to integrate it better I could rival Brian. But all that would mean is that Idazmi7 would then be kicking our asses equally.

(Also ... who the hell are all those people? Sometimes my stats, pitiful as they are, still amaze me.)
These stats for your sites, I think, stand a notch above those of SFJN itself.
It's a pity really that SFJN couldn't attract a bit more people, but I clearly see why.

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Sure, there are these outlining examples, no doubt about it. And some of the "high ends" in star trek are truly insane (and just a couple, the result of bad science). Idazmi7 just refuses to acknowledge any of the other examples, and even (quite blatantly) misrepresents some scenes in an attempt to bolster his case.

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:28 pm

Anyway, I caught up with the YouTube argument today. I was a little surprised at just how forgiving ST-V-SW appeared to be after what I had already read up until this point, even hinting at possible collaboration. Of-course, the forever zealous Idazmi showed little interest in collaborating with a gross Star Trek deflationist. I guess he could've been your fan, so long as you absolutely agreed with him ;)

It does bug me a little bit that his misinformation gets so many views. In his latest SW videos he claimed that the official length of ISD's (1600meters) is in-fact the creation of "fan boys" and that the ships true length is only ~600 meters. He based this on a single image which depicts a ship clearly very different to those which appeared in the original trilogy. He dishonestly goes on to claim that Saxton confirmed the canonicity of this image, as if this would somehow be at all within Saxton's interests or jurisdiction. The mans a spoon, and personally, I think that Brian Young is out of his league, and by a good margin, lol.