Wired Does Falcon Acceleration

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Wired Does Falcon Acceleration

Post by 2046 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:11 am

... though with bad input.

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/many-gs-mi ... ikes-back/

Suffice to say that Rhett Allain, whose jib cut I find myself quite fond of, calculated the acceleration of the Falcon in her grand loop into the space slug's maw. He didn't account for camera motion so doubled the right value, but his methodology should feel quite familiar. He also estimated the gravity of said asteroid.

Spoiler: I show up in the comments and my result after pointing out and adjusting for the camera motion is 11.75g.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Wired Does Falcon Acceleration

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:32 pm

Moved to the Other Websites forum.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:04 am

Speaking of escaping the asteroid worm, has anyone done an acceleration for the Falcon off of that? After all, that is a full out push the engines acceleration or the ship was lunch (literally). It'd be curious to see how that stacks up with Rhett Allain's numbers and your own "after burner" calcs.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:18 am

It was straight but not necessarily full throttle. Avoiding hitting stuff by merely deviating from a straight path or even hitting those teeth would be a good thing to, and a full accel would reduce the craft's agility.
The final escape speed wasn't particularly impressive, but I think this is a slow ship anyway. Her escape from Mos Eisley, despite the Imperial on her heels, wasn't that impressive either. Its advantage is the FTL drive.
That said, the Naboo ships appear a notch faster when accelerating (both departures from Tatootine in TPM and AOTC), but that's about it.