ST-v-SW Does a Disney (Sorta)

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

ST-v-SW Does a Disney (Sorta)

Post by 2046 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:45 pm

From the update:

Unless noted on the new version of the site or via blog/tweet, these pages will no longer be updated. Why? Well, some (if not most) of my 200 or so pages are either themselves ten or more years old or based on responding to ten year old arguments (in either sense of the phrase). And frankly, I hate when people screw up their sites and leave behind broken links and such. But, what with varying filename patterns and internal link styles that I'd be stuck trying to hang onto so as not to break inbound linking, it seems wiser to start over from scratch and use these materials as fodder for a new, better organized version of the site.

Oh, and lest anyone misrepresent this as "distancing himself from his old arguments" or somesuch nonsense, understand that (1) I considered labeling it the "Victory Edition" (heh), and (2) in the main, you'll see the same positions and content in the new version, just written and arranged differently, along with any new stuff that's come along since.

Until then, keep your eye on the site's front door, or continue following the tweets, blog, Facebook, et cetera. And as always, thanks for visiting!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: ST-v-SW Does a Disney (Sorta)

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:48 am

Joking or not. I don't think naming the old site the "Victory Edition" is a good idea. As you pointed out already, we may have won a kind of victory with the Disneypocalypse, but we can never let our guard down with the Star Wars inflationists. They are only wounded and reeling, and they'll be back, rest assured. We know that one is still actively trying, albeit repackaged to be appear kinder, gentler, more reasonable while trying to portray any opposition as mean, evil fanatics for disagreeing with him.

So the price of our newly won victory is to be always on our guard and maintain our vigilance. Bring to bear the light of knowledge, logic, and truth always against the darkness of the intentional ignorance and groupthink of the inflationists.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:57 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Joking or not. I don't think naming the old site the "Victory Edition" is a good idea. As you pointed out already, we may have won a kind of victory with the Disneypocalypse, but we can never let our guard down with the Star Wars inflationists. They are only wounded and reeling, and they'll be back, rest assured. We know that one is still actively trying, albeit repackaged to be appear kinder, gentler, more reasonable while trying to portray any opposition as mean, evil fanatics for disagreeing with him.

So the price of our newly won victory is to be always on our guard and maintain our vigilance. Bring to bear the light of knowledge, logic, and truth always against the darkness of the intentional ignorance and groupthink of the inflationists.
-Mike
They're a far way from their past glory. They largely relied on the two main profiles of Saxton and Wong, and it turned out that even with these two lads, it didn't suffice.
They've largely been ridiculed and whoever would want to step in and reclaim the throne would have to fill no less than two massive pairs of shoes and also manage to prove that without the so called support of real science, he can still sell the same BS.
Brian is not up to the task. He does not have the skills nor the pedigree to even pretend being capable of obfuscating facts.

The inflationists did manage to win for half a decade because they were organized, they had strong profiles that were arguments from authority incarnate, and took the initiative while being violent and unrelenting. In other words, they were a military cult with a strong dogma and absolute extremists in their will to hammer their views down into the skulls of anyone disagreeing with them.
Their main weakness was that they relied on the disorganization on the other side, on a massive amount of vicious attacks which, on the long term, didn't paint them in a good light and they clearly went overboard with that (eg. Talifangate) and their entire dogma rested on a complete abstraction, a heap of blatant lies (they dodged the counter attacks because they behaved like an organized mob using superiority in numbers and violence against isolated dissenting elements) coupled to the hugest cherry picking I've ever seen in fandom. Basically for every nugget of pseudo truth they had, there were like ten to fifty times pieces of evidence literally shooting their hot air claims down.

Now their energy has totally abandoned them, it's leaked through a thousand cuts and whatever is left couldn't be described better than sadly, pathetically and utterly pretentious and delusional.
Plus without the EU which, oddly enough, they largely relied on when in fact it held much more against them than most people thought, whoever remains of this group gone astray has nothing left to fight with. There's not even enough material left to work from for them to craft some new schemy web of lies with their usual highly selective and warping skills. Besides, the trick won't work twice, especially thanks to internet and access to information (and illegal downloads to go quote mining)

BY is an arse-clown, his methods are so transparent and stupid that I deeply feel sorry for him (just before I laugh inside) and for the fact that his real life social prestige entirely relies on trying to sell the same pig shit. :)

If only some (soon to be?) ex-SDNers would see that they've largely been swallowed into some bullying cult of some sort, things would get even better for everybody, even for BY who wouldn't even hold the illusion that he can still find some fuckwit to drink the remaining stocks of kool-aid. He'd turn the page and breathe a new life. Or just go coil in a corner and shut up for good.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:50 am

2046, sounds like a good plan. Just to clarify though, the new version is still under construction, yes, or have I missed it somewhere? I'm getting a start reading the 2 blogs you have, but I never did warm up to the blogging format, I look forward to seeing a revamp of ST-v-SW.net.

As for inflationists, don't you know that's the secret to the whole thing!? Inflation is the key! Don't you know that the Star Wars galaxy is located in the Brobdingnag cluster? It explains the unusually small seeming planets! The odd statements declaring short visual distances being described as several "klicks" away and ships apparently very close being out of range! Yes, that is why Star Wars fields such power without showing it obviously. It takes gigajoules of weapon energy to give a mile tall clone a flesh would after all!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:02 pm

If only some (soon to be?) ex-SDNers would see that they've largely been swallowed into some bullying cult of some sort, things would get even better for everybody, even for BY who wouldn't even hold the illusion that he can still find some fuckwit to drink the remaining stocks of kool-aid. He'd turn the page and breathe a new life. Or just go coil in a corner and shut up for good.
I think at least a few have. Recall the Bravo Delta Zero thread from a few years ago and the link to the screengab of the secret SDN Bravo Delta Zulu forum. Brunner, who provided the information as well as made a Database article on it, had been a member of that forum, which carried out attacks on anyone who spoke out against Saxton. I believe, that if that was true, Brunner did so out of guilt for what they had done and wanted someone to know about it.

What is also interesting, for all that he tries to make himself look kind and gentle, Brian Young is listed as a member of this group, which means he agreed with the groups mission statement and was actively working alongside Wong and others to infiltrate (read covertely) the forums in question.

Granted the Bravo Delta Zulu group went defunct, especially after Wong retreated from the Versus Debate scene, but given Brian's denials, I found this reminder quite informative. Especially when you tie this in with his collaboration on the AOTC:ICS.

But we would never have known about this group if it hadn't been for Brunner taking a huge risk and stepping forward to blow the whistle on it.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
I think at least a few have. Recall the Bravo Delta Zero thread from a few years ago and the link to the screengab of the secret SDN Bravo Delta Zulu forum. Brunner, who provided the information as well as made a Database article on it, had been a member of that forum, which carried out attacks on anyone who spoke out against Saxton. I believe, that if that was true, Brunner did so out of guilt for what they had done and wanted someone to know about it.

What is also interesting, for all that he tries to make himself look kind and gentle, Brian Young is listed as a member of this group, which means he agreed with the groups mission statement and was actively working alongside Wong and others to infiltrate (read covertely) the forums in question.

Granted the Bravo Delta Zulu group went defunct, especially after Wong retreated from the Versus Debate scene, but given Brian's denials, I found this reminder quite informative. Especially when you tie this in with his collaboration on the AOTC:ICS.

But we would never have known about this group if it hadn't been for Brunner taking a huge risk and stepping forward to blow the whistle on it.
-Mike
SDN definitely had a terrible dark side to it.
I never really knew what to make of Brunner's file. Mind you, if what he said of Kane Starkiller was true, then it's interesting that said guy actually registered here and engaged in real debate for a while.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:22 am

I don't see any mention of Kane in there at all. Perhaps you were thinking of someone else?
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 am

Yes, Kane is mentionned at some point on page 3 or 4 about joining one of the groups united for what I presume would have been e-stalking and other forms of online harassments but for some reason it was believed he would be somehow a problem and cause more trouble than good to the group itself.

http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... 507#p38507
Brunner wrote:More then likely it survived because I just noticed its ln on my photobucket and I transfered it over, as I've been struggling with what to do with the info.

And yes, i don't much remember the threads, three years or so will do that. I do recall a thread where it was discussed to induct Kane Starkiller but Wayne thought he would go off half-cocked and cause trouble.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Okay you're right about that. I skimmed through and missed that little paragraph. That is an interesting piece that makes it all the more likely Brunner was being truthful simply because I don't think someone making up a photoshopped screengrab would think of something that specific.

Given Kane's behavior here and previously on groups like Strek-vs-Swars, I don't see why Kane would be a problem, and the huge irony is supposedly Wayne Poe of all people thought Kane would go half-cocked and be a problem! I mean was this before or after the infamous talifan incident, and regardless Wayne always had a big problem controlling himself.

Given the way Brunner described the recollection of possible induction of Kane into the group, and that Kane's name is not on the screengrab image, I don't think Kane ever was in that group.
-Mike

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:24 am

2064, I just read your September PM's at ASVS and replied.

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 pm

Getting back to a post above, I was wondering what the status of the new version of the site is. Is it up yet? If it is, what is its address, for I've been looking for it but cannot find it.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:15 pm

Nothing yet.

At the 11th hour… or more like the 9:30th… I changed my mind about a Pico-based site. I think I can rig up a server-side cron job that'll let me create a server-side static site generator as discussed here:

http://weblog.st-v-sw.net/2014/08/inside-baseball.html

I have also made progress on converting some of my old HTML (which I will kindly call "custom", though that should best be translated as "crappy") into a minimal markup, but this will be part and parcel with making new pages.

Also, I am taking a break now anyway, so I wouldn't anticipate anything before 2015.