An Apology

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Sothis
Bridge Officer

An Apology

Post by Sothis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:58 pm

I've already done this via his blog, but I feel it necessary to do it here, in the public arena. I want to apologise to 2046 for my behaviour over the past couple of weeks during our recent discussions. I got out of control and did not conduct myself in a manner I am proud of. To that end, I am sorry.

I want to add, that, for all the animosity between SDnet and here, I believe there is room to build bridges. Our two communities have a lot of disagreements about Star Trek and Star Wars, but in the end, what we are - what we all are - are fans of both. Some of us prefer Trek, some of us Wars, and we all have our own interpretations of both, but we are on these forums, having these discussions, because we are passionate about both. I think we have far more common ground than not, and anger that lingers over a versus debate is just not healthy.

Well, there, I've had my little rant. Time to drink my beer!

Starship Captain

Re: An Apology

Post by 2046 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:04 pm

The blog comments referenced are here, for those curious:

http://weblog.st-v-sw.net/2014/08/inter ... onary.html

More to follow.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:33 pm

2046 wrote:The blog comments referenced are here, for those curious:

http://weblog.st-v-sw.net/2014/08/inter ... onary.html

More to follow.
O_O
Wow, that Sean Robertson bloke had both bad cop and good cop rolled into one head. That's massively schizophrenic.
It certainly reminds me of gurls who can't manage to spill the beans, totally unable to say they like you so they act like super bitches instead and then you're totally WTF when you usually learn from "a pal of a pal" that they actually have a crush on you.
I guess Sean is a super shy fanboi of yours. Careful he doesn't get too obsessive and starts clocking your house with appraising love letters in one hand and a knife in the other! :)
Really, the initial pounding was so over the top that I can't even know how one should rate the following apology. You take it because that's the way to go I figure but it has the value of a second-hand piece of paper handkerchief.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Guy becomes all sweet and tender as part of some very embarrassing damage control once your tear his anon veil.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:17 pm

A link to a link to a link... I ended reading this threadat nuASVS.

Regarding the flat rings and perhaps more or less planar explosions, it should be noted that the first major explosion inside the DS2 core is already flat. Excusing the obious VFX trick used, the intent clearly is of an explosion that spreads horizontally more than vertically, or more precisely horizontally versus spherically for no apparent reason.
The shape of the entire room is irrelevant (especially if it's vacuum'd), and there didn't seem to be any kind of super strong force field screwing with the ships' controls nor the missiles' or energy bolts' paths either.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Over the top? That was standard fare back in the day.

As for his veil of anonymity, if he were trying to maintain one he wouldn't have given me a name to Google, I would think. Either way, I have no great issue with Sean. I don't remember any significant negative encounters with him, anyway.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Howdy, the whole assumption that Alderaan's mass is shifted is because the explosion is not totally centered onto the planet's barycenter.

We know that the first explosion didn't cause the mass shift because we still see the left side of the planet's horizon as the primary cloud of ejecta expands. So it's all on the second explosion.

The explosion that provides "evidence" of mass-translation is the secondary one, the fishy and much more damaging one, the one that comes in with a mysterious delay that's never been explained, the one that does produce the rings.
Huh, for most of the debris to favour a given direction, you don't need to shift the entire planet's mass, you simply need to offset the focus of the detonation, and the simple rule of path of least resistance will do the rest.
This would imply that the second explosion somehow occured beyond the planet's core.

Now, please let's look at the point of origin of the two clouds that compose the second explosion: there's a small, hazy white-purple that appears at the front of the darker cloud from the first explosion (that darker cloud grows in the upper left section of the overall primary blast cloud). Meanwhile, a much bigger red-orange cloud grows from what would be beyond the horizon of aforementionned dark cloud.
You should now realize that they point to a focus that stood very close to the planet's surface (compared to its core), and way off the beam's projected path if it had shot out of the planet on the other side.
Actually, the small whitish explosion does seem to have originated from slightly beneath the surface, at the left quarter of the planet, slightly above the hypothetic equator's level. Well, that is, as long as you're willing to treat the planet like if it were a flat disc projected on a wall that the camera is facing.
In reality, the planet being a sphere, it's more likely that the explosion originated from a point on the camera-facing side of the crust; which, as you'll see with the second explosion, doesn't even guarantee that it ever originated from within the planet's volume!
Now, for all intents and purposes, the bigger orange explosions seems to have its focus largely originate from beyond the planet's volume.
It's not the planet's mass that's been shifted leftwards, it's really explosion itself that already happens out there in the wild. The left one, that is.

Besides, at the macroscale, a planet being nothing more than a huge mass of grains held together, there's nothing solid enough that would have somehow conveyed the secondary explosive burst to that very odd location.
What I mean is that there's no "crack in the rock" effect to count on.
The secondary explosion, key to mass shifting, is really something that generates more questions than it answers.

When tackling one of the Wongies on the Alderaan case, I think I once suggested that it might have been where Alderaanians had their main shield generator's power plant and where all the super fuel was stored. But that's not to be taken seriously.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:59 pm

2046 wrote:Over the top? That was standard fare back in the day.
That I know, but that's not the point.
It's in comparison to the amusingly polite and suave tone of his next message imbued with complete theological nonsense.
As for his veil of anonymity, if he were trying to maintain one he wouldn't have given me a name to Google, I would think.
Looks more like he wasn't careful and didn't hide his hand well. All there is to see is that as long as he was anonymous, he acted like a complete dick from this magical place...

... but once he had been pulled out naked, he acted all puppy and nice.
That's just as piss poor and miserable as it can get.
Either way, I have no great issue with Sean. I don't remember any significant negative encounters with him, anyway.
That's usually what we'd say before dealing directly with some typical SDN denizens or likewise minded debaters. They all have to start somewhere, some time.
Anyway, I don't really care how he decides to behave from thereon, it's just the change of attitude I had to laugh at.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Wait. Was he trolling you? That wasn't even good trolling at all. If you do it, you keep at it, you don't blow it off the next minute, that's so noob. If you can't handle trolling, you don't do it, that's all. It's against the universal rules. It's sick.
The lovin' bitchy girl metaphor was almost spot on. :)
Funny how even a slight misunderstanding would so easily result in open conflict because of one complete silly approach. That's just stupid. If he had something to say or wanted to talk, why not be normal headed instead? His initial post just served no purpose at all beside completely jeopardizing any chance of a proper exchange of ideas. Luckily for him, it seems you had more insight.
At this point, I wouldn't even care about losing a chance to talk with him because I have other things to do IRL and I can't stand that crap. I'd take the apology and give him a nice middle finger in exchange. :D

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:32 am

And I hope with these apologies all around that we can get back to proper debating around here. Otherwise I have to stay in grumpy moderator mode and start bashing heads, and we don't want that, now do we? ;-)
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:41 am

Sothis wrote: I want to add, that, for all the animosity between SDnet and here, I believe there is room to build bridges. Our two communities have a lot of disagreements about Star Trek and Star Wars, but in the end, what we are - what we all are - are fans of both. Some of us prefer Trek, some of us Wars, and we all have our own interpretations of both, but we are on these forums, having these discussions, because we are passionate about both. I think we have far more common ground than not, and anger that lingers over a versus debate is just not healthy.

Well, there, I've had my little rant. Time to drink my beer!
Internet forums aren't people, and there are several members of SFJ who are members of SD.Net.

As for me joining SD.Net? It isn't going to happen do to a number of reasons, but the the main page and the wiki are good enough reasons not to join. There is no animosity on my part, but confusion as to why anyone would act like that.