View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:04 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
SciFights: Brian Doubles Down on Ignoring Offscreen Time 
Author Message
Starship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm
Posts: 1839
Reply with quote
Amusingly, in a recent Acceleration video on Youtube he declared that there was unseen time when a ship was deorbiting and landing, which was a reasonable declaration.

However, as we know, he ignores this possibility in regards to take-offs to orbit, and now he's ignoring it in regards to hyperdrive velocities as well.

I haven't watched the remainder of the video because I'm still cleaning up my spewed beverage, but starting at about ten minutes in on his new "swftl.mov" video he takes the last leg of the Malevolence circling the nebula as a realtime event, declaring the ship capable of a parsec in about four minutes, or over one light-year per minute . . . and he also says this is slow on the grounds that Grievous was unhappy with how long the trip in the they-told-me-this-ship-was-fast-ship was taking. (This ignores the long course around the nebula, but whatever.)

"I know there are cuts back and forth in this scene and everything, but uh, and y'know people will complain about that, but uh, the only way we can quantify it is assuming it's real time, going by episode time. Any other time we insert would just be made up."

Huh, funny . . . Star Trek didn't get that treatment. I doubt any other group will, either . . . maybe Babylon 5, but that's about it.

Especially given that he'd also doubled-down on the whole claim that the Republic controlled numerous galaxies (yes, that's plural) . . . put simply, the inflationism has gone totally comedic, and I couldn't watch any more.


Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Jedi Master

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm
Posts: 5730
Reply with quote
I'm sure that Brian would also ignore or try to hand wave away any evidence that fills in those times, like the ANH novelization where we have Han telling Jabba that he's got a charter and he'll have the money in three weeks. Or Han telling Obi-Wan and Luke to be at Docking bay 94 in the first thing in the morning, and from there we can tie that into Han declaring that they'll be at Alderaan at 0200 hours. If they left at 11 am and the ship's time is still set to Tatoonie time, then at least 15 hours went by, but if they left earlier in the day than that, say 7 am local time, then it took at least 19 hours.

This is hardly the minutes Brian would have us believe it takes, and it at least takes many hours, and likely days or a full week to make the trip.
-Mike


Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:46 pm
Profile
Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 am
Posts: 6860
Location: Paradise Mountain
Reply with quote
Troubling, really.

Why is anyone still wasting anytime with this... man?
Most of his "intelligence" has obviously fled him. Whatever remains now in the head of this ersatz of "debator" is nothing more than some limited neural activity, modestly meeting the bare requirements for eating, peeing, sleeping, cobbling silly HTML pages and vid-selfieying whilst talking nonsense.

You guys look like survivors in a post-apocalyptic setting, craving some chat like in old days, desperate enough to offer precious attention to any idiot (who doesn't even listen to you), in the vain hope of experiencing the long lost taste of a real SW-ST debate.
But this isn't even on par with a synthetic simile of debate or constructive exchange. It's just plain BS, LOL. :)

He so absolutely wants to quantify something that hardly can (cause the plot is awful) that he's willing to be plain dishonest to pin some fancy figure to this (most pathetic and barely) FTL event.
We all know he has a serious issue understanding the concept of off screen. Even rubbed right into his face, it's so instinctively antithetical to his dead-mind that he can openly admit denying canonical facts as easily as he breathes, without flinching, just to wedge his fantasy-like rudimentary "logic" into things which are not meant to be approached that way.

Really, for all the time and energy he's put into this junk-work, has anything remotely ground breaking or even substantial been provided yet?
What are you going to do when SW7 comes out and he'll produce a ton more nonsense, because his very brain functions are not properly aligned so anything he says is bound to be gibberish posing as sound logic?
Are you going to follow this silly clown around crazy town? He farts, you talk?
I don't get the point in talking to this brickwall and hoping getting something through.
Hey people, the lights are still on but there's nobody home.

Darn, at least some of the most active SW debators from a decade ago seemed to have a nut of comprehension capability. But these days it's just terribly embarrassing to watch.

Isn't the horse dead yet?


Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:32 pm
Profile
Starship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm
Posts: 1839
Reply with quote
The dead horse twitches still . . . hence my threads about "Zombie Inflationism". Best to headshot it before it starts stumbling around infecting others.

As I've said before, Brian's arguments don't hold up to any serious scrutiny. Indeed, this video about Star Wars FTL speeds is quite nice because it features so many teachable moments of why not to trust what he says, which should be more readily apparent given that he's aiming for such strange conclusions.

(In other words, while it might be difficult to get someone to understand the distinction of fallacious arguments relating to the sky being blue, it's somewhat easier for folks to listen to discussions of why arguments claiming the sky is blood-red are wrong.)

However, while you and I may be able to see through things readily enough, there are at least a couple of people who think he's worth listening to. And with Brian having taken the mantle of inflationism as his own cause, he is thus the leading inflationist of his day.

There will always be people willing to listen to completely ridiculous claims. While researching something for NoLettersHome, for instance, I found people online claiming the Boston Marathon bombing was a false-flag operation and that the guy who famously lost the lower half of his legs was an actor wearing prosthetics that were applied within three-quarters of a second, invisibly, and on video.

The internet allows the world's village idiots to communicate over great distances, rather than remaining relatively contained like they used to be. Thus more and more bad ideas that normally wouldn't make it out of town are instead out there online and in the wild.

While it is not the duty of reasonable people to quash every stupid idea that some nitwit can dream up, it nevertheless remains true that bad ideas, if allowed to grow, can work to strangle good ones like foul weeds.

I, for one, believe falsehoods deserve to be challenged. Are there more important ones than the ones Young is spewing? Of course. The world's full of them, now more than ever. But someone needs to do it, and it is a job I have previously demonstrated an aptitude for, if I may say so.

So, at least until I start taking a break toward the end of this year, I might as well work on it.


Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 am
Posts: 6860
Location: Paradise Mountain
Reply with quote
I find it more constructive to act on your own volition and provide facts and sound analysis (seizing the initiative and producing "pure" data) than reacting to the BS of someone else.
In the end, once your hard work is written down, you just have to point to it, and make sure MANY people do the same, following you. That's the crux of it; you need a real solid, pure core, and some heavy propaganda machine to diffuse it.

Attacking enemy arguments in retaliation is more time consuming and unrewarding than producing material that's so rock solid that you don't even need to pay much attention to the opposition.
I know it's very tempting deflecting any shit thrown by the enemy to protect the white walls of thy pristine enclave, but over the years it proved to be very tiring and often times useless.
They'd keep repeating the same lies on and on. What worked was taking the same materials and providing a different reading.

Easy to quote clear and concise analytical studies is far better than engaging into lengthy and debates that bore most people seeing this from a certain distance.
You need the strong, pure force, and a way to scale that positively. It will work naturally from there I believe.

Our main problem here was that we, most of the time, failed to gather our thoughts and data into one clear repository.
Secondly, we utterly failed to communicate on it.
Therefore, taking down the ICS nonsense probably took far more time than what could have been achieved with a clearer and saner plan of action. I think it's undeniable that we played a large role in it, but at the same time, if you're not an insider I may say, this is far from obvious. Worse, despite knowing that the SBC staff could easily dismiss any link to our threads because of their convenient "affairs of other boards do not concern us" rule, we never did the one smart thing to do: actually make a website that wasn't a damned discussion board.

Taking your SW-ST website as an example, the most useful pages certainly where the ones providing your own reflexions and commentaries on canon, made of pure analysis, not the exchanges between you and Wong. I'm not saying these last ones were useless, far from it.
But if you had to pick, certainly these archives of debates would be part of the extra. Fundamentally, they had more to do with petty bickering than structured pro analysis.
Just as negative as arguments between two village's old farts or cranky grannies. Relatively useless and powerless in comparison to the act of slamming a huge ideological and doctrinal book on the table to counter the ICS nonsense and having all the bookmarks loaded and ready to fire.

It will be more efficient to do your own speed calc pages and for any BS Young makes up, you intensively link to your research and let people be exposed as much as possible.
That's what Young does: he doesn't react, and he uses a powerful propaganda tool to get his point across.


Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:08 pm
Profile
Starship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm
Posts: 1839
Reply with quote
From my blog, "Intergalactic Inflationary, Inflationary Intergalactic"

(Alternate non-Beastie Boys Title: Giving One's Audience the Finger)

You know more than a little about Star Wars. You wouldn't have ended up here otherwise. You've come to know it as a tale of good, evil, and destiny in a "galaxy far, far away", told against the backdrop of a rebellion against the Galactic Empire, and against the backdrop of a galactic war of secession which was itself largely a ruse concocted by the forces of evil to destroy the Jedi. You've heard folks over and over again talk about "the galaxy" . . . Han boasting he'd been from one side of it to the other, the Jedi being guardians of peace and justice throughout it, the Empire being spread throughout it in a vain effort to engage the Rebellion, et cetera. Maybe you've even caught wind of the multiple references to the fact that the Republic and Empire constitute but portions of the galaxy.

What if I now told you that you were wrong all along, and that in fact Star Wars spans multiple galaxies?

You'd demand some serious evidence, wouldn't you?

Well, Brian Young of SciFights.Net has made the claim that you and I were all wrong all along . . . that instead the Galactic Republic and Empire managed to control its entire local group of galaxies . . . but has neglected to provide serious evidence. It constitutes one of the topics of his recent "Hyperspace Speed" videos here.

First, as a baseline, let's consider the instances of "galaxy" and "galactic" just in a couple of the film scripts:

I. The Phantom Menace

1. "TITLE CARD : A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

2. "Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlaying star systems is in dispute."

3. "While the congress of the Republic endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the Supreme Chancellor has secretly dispatched two Jedi Knights, the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, to settle the conflict....."

4. "PADME : I can't believe there is still slavery in the galaxy. The Republic's anti-slavery laws...
SHMI : The Republic doesn't exist out here...we must survive on our own."

5. "JIRA : I'll miss you, Annie.. there isn't a kinder boy in the galaxy. You be careful..."

6. "The two galactic warriors, Sith and Jedi, are bashing each other with incredible blows. They move in a continual cloud of dust, smashing everything around them."

7. "The spacecraft flies over the endless cityscape of Coruscant, the capital of the galaxy."

8. "The sleek Naboo spacecraft lands on the platform high above the street level of the galactic capital."

There are also two references to the "Galactic Senate", bringing us to 10 examples.

II. Attack of the Clones

1. There is unrest in the Galactic Senate. Several hundred solar systems under the leadership of the rebel leader . . .

2. This separatist movement has made it difficult for the limited number of Jedi Knights to maintain peace and order in the galaxy.

3. A small GROUP OF DIGNITARIES waits to welcome the Senator. One of the members of the group os a well dressed JAR JAR BINKS, a member of the Galactic Representative Commission, and DORME, Senator Amidala's handmaiden.

4. Master Jedi, our records are very thorough. they cover eighty percent of the galaxy. If I can't tell you where it came from, nobody can.

5. I'm glad you chose to serve. I feel things are going to happen in our generation that will change the galaxy in profound ways.

6. They have to come halfway across the galaxy. Look, Geonosis is less than a parsec away.

7. Don't you give me orders, Annie! I'm a Senator of the Galactic Republic.

Put simply, had it been the desire for Lucas and company to actually portray a civilization which spanned multiple galaxies, they could have been much more clear about it. Instead, it's pretty much totally opaque. Usages in the other films and scripts, The Clone Wars, and the assorted film novelizations all play out about the same way.

That said, there are three instances of the term "intergalactic" in all six scripts (four if you count a reference to the "Intergalactic Bank Clan"). From AotC we have:

"EXT. CORUSCANT, SPACEPORT FREIGHTER DOCKS, TRANSPORT BUS - DAY
A small bus speeds toward the massive freighter docks of Coruscant's Industrial area. The spaceport is bustling with activity. Transports of various sizes moves supplies and passengers as giant floating cranes lift cargo out of starships. The bus stops before a huge intergalactic freighter starship. It parks in the shadows of an overhang."

From RotS:

186 INT. CORUSCANT-PADME'S APARTMENT-AFTERNOON
A DC0052 Intergalactic Speeder pulls up to the veranda landing of Padme's apartment.

And finally, from RotJ, with the operative phrase more or less copied in the novelization thereof:

"Threepio leans forward and the slobbering villain mumbles something to him. As Threepio steps up to a comlink, Jabba raises his arm and the motley array of intergalactic pirates fall silent."

Is that enough for us to declare that the Star Wars civilization spans galaxies? I don't think so. An "intergalactic freighter" and "intergalactic pirates" may seem somewhat tantalizing, but given that they run rather contrary to the great mass of other evidence they must be understood, not as "intergalactic" in the sense of "international", but simply as referring to being "among the galaxy", a common and defined usage of the term "intergalactic" which Brian ignores.

I kind of hate to bring up semantics, but when the other side engages in the semantics gamesmanship of forgetting a perfectly valid definition of a term, meaning it's a part of why they're wrong, what are ya gonna do?

More to the point, here, "intergalactic" can be defined in the same way as "international", where "inter-" refers to "between two or more of (the thing in the last part of the word)". However, "inter-" need not mean "between". It can also mean other things, which is why "intergalactic" is also defined as "of, relating to, or occurring in outer space" rather than just "situated in or relating to the spaces between galaxies".

"Inter-" is defined as "between, among, or within" here (bolding mine), or here as "a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin, where it meant “between,” “among,” “in the midst of,” “mutually,” “reciprocally,” “together,” “during” ( intercept; interest); on this model, used in the formation of compound words ( intercom; interdepartmental)." "Intergalactic" as merely meaning "outer space" would most likely simply refer to "within or among the or in the midst of the galaxy".

(Incidentally, the word "Enterprise" has its roots in "inter-" and "prendere" (to take), making an enterprise probably originally refer to something taken together, a group activity.

Also incidentally . . . nowadays, as networking causes us to need to distinguish certain things more strictly, "inter-" as referring to the outside (specifically in the sense of the hopping of a boundary) is becoming the more commonplace usage compared to the somewhat contrary meaning of "within", a fact that often requires explanation to newbies when confronted with the term "intranet". However, that's something of a modern development, intramural sports notwithstanding. I, for one, find this quite satisfactory and proper, since the "within" meaning, however common, is indeed potentially confusing.)

Of course, this argument would be familiar to Brian and quite acceptable were it not for the fact that he likes things in Star Wars when they "make it a better comparison to Trek", in his own words. After all, he's made no claims of multiple galaxy control or visitation for Star Trek, despite a greater number of separate examples of "intergalactic", to wit:

In the 23rd Century, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" references "intergalactic treaty" regarding extraditions with the planet Cheron which the ship soon visits. And, in Star Trek III the Klingon Ambassador claims the creation of the Genesis Device renders the Federation a band of "intergalactic criminals". In the 24th Century, "Booby Trap" features Geordi inquiring of the computer whether a Starfleet engineer ever debated at the "intergalactic caucases". "The Forsaken" has someone referencing Odo's tracking of "intergalactic malefactors".. "Behind the Lines" features Kira describing the Female Changeling as an "intergalactic warlord". "Endgame" features a character referring to Janeway not getting the crew home at all costs, instead working on her "intergalactic good will mission".

Of course, you understand and I understand that these references are merely to the "among the galaxy"/ "outer space" meaning of the term, much like Kirk's "to avoid interspace war" in "Balance of Terror".

Further, if pushed, we would probably seek to take a look at who's doing the talking when examining the Federation's intergalactic credentials. To be sure, having Kirk, the Klingon Ambassador, Geordi, and "The Forsaken" having a Federation ambassador (of sorts) using the term might seem to strengthen the case, were we to be daft enough to try to argue it. That's a pretty decent pedigree.

Brian's claims have no such pedigree. He's stuck with the name "InterGalactic Banking Clan" which I already addressed in the Addenda section of this post about the true span of the Empire and Republic. There are also two references in The Clone Wars, one seemingly involving a droid cut off (i.e. in half) before completing the aforementioned name, and a young, not especially bright guy on a backwater planet who refers to the Clone Wars as the "intergalactic war". There's not even a politician or military officer in that mix at all. Oh, and he was also excited by the name of the DC0052 Intergalactic Speeder we referenced earlier, which is strange since I don't think we've ever seen a speeder leave the atmosphere of a planet.

Young's lynchpin, he believes, is Obi-Wan pointing on a screen in Attack of the Clones to a point that Brian interprets to be outside the galaxy. This is, to my way of thinking, a truly hideous maneuver on his part. I say that not because this comes from the movie and script that also gives us the fact that 20% of the galaxy seems to be unknown to the Republic (see the last link) . . . that's just an extra. No, I say that because that very same pointing scene then features a zoom-in to well within the perimeter of the galaxy. This was covered a decade ago or more on ST-v-SW.Net. And yet, this is quite absent from Young's video . . . presumably he felt the audience didn't need to be troubled with it.

So even if Brian ignores the zoom-in, or if he is simply cherry-picking which part of a self-contradictory scene that he prefers (a not-uncommon maneuver on his part, despite the proverbial lady protesting too much), then he's still left to explain the 80%-of-the-galaxy figure that is still contrary to his claim.

And, if that's not all, Brian at least sort of acknowledges that The Clone Wars episode "Rookies" clearly places the Richi system (and with it, logically, Kamino nearby) within the Outer Rim.

""In The Clone Wars episode "Rookies", at 1:49, uh, one of the clones says "the most boring post in the Outer Rim" and uh then a sergeant or whatever says "if they get past this station they could surprise attack Kamino." Um, and, uh, the outpost is established to be in the "Richi system". Now, it was established in Attack of the Clones that Kamino is actually a halo system around the Richi Maze which is a satellite galaxy. But, uh, they're talking here about the Outer Rim, so in any event, it's at least in the Outer Rim, probably extragalactic. But, uh, in this instance, let's treat it as Outer Rim, uh, because that's what they said."

In other words, Brian has three pieces of evidence . . . two from Attack of the Clones about which he makes the grand claim, and the entire plot of "Rookies" . . . which quite obviously run counter to his argument that Obi-Wan's finger is extragalactic. But instead of acknowledging that something might have been amiss there, he simply ignores it and soldiers on, only considering Richi to be within the galaxy "in this instance" and no doubt patting himself on the back for being so kind to his so-called "fanatic" opponents or something. In every other statement he pretends that the Republic and Empire are demonstrated to be multi-galactic entities.

Put frankly, such extremist inflationism is very off-putting to me, and would be even without Brian's strange attacks in my direction. Brian knows very well how to talk like a reasonable person when discussing, in general, how to deal with evidence and fact, but operationally he's actually worse than some of the worst inflationists from a decade ago. As far as I'm concerned, his treatment of the topic is so laughable . . . as well as his treatment of the speed examples from the rest of the video in which he declares offscreen time invalid for analysis purposes (!?what?!) . . . that he should have his geek/nerd credentials, if any, suspended.

I've often joked about making a parody site entitled GalaxyClassStarship.Net in which I try to inflate Star Trek. Were I to create such a thing, it would, I am realizing, look an awful lot like Brian's efforts to inflate Star Wars . . . specifically, the Star Trek V trip to the center of the galaxy would not be an ignored outlier like it is at ST-v-SW.Net, but the standard . . . and of course, I would ignore offscreen time. Similarly, the Federation would be intergalactic (in the "between" sense) despite logic and reason to the contrary.

Oh, and of course, just as with Obi-Wan's finger, I'd hammer the point that Professor Galen's finger is the end-all be-all of fact in regards to warp velocities.

Image


As DITL notes, the course his finger plots accounts for about three quarters of the radius of the galaxy. Assuming a 100,000 light-year Milky Way, that puts warp drive cruising speed somewhere in the range of 37,500 light-years in "a matter of weeks". Assuming three weeks (I'd assume two in order to be a proper Trek inflationist but I just can't bring myself to do so), that's about 1786 light-years per day, or 652,000c. But of course, as seen in the episode, it was done by the Enterprise-D in a hurry in "a few days", meaning (assuming five days just to be nice to the "fanatic" anti-inflationists) that we're looking at 7500 light-years per day, or over 2.7 million times lightspeed. Were I without shame I could easily drive that up further, since (a) it'd need to be a round trip and (b) Picard could've been accounting for investigation time, meaning travel time was even smaller. Even with what we stopped at, though, that's enough to get to another galaxy in a year . . . which, compared to Star Trek V, must obviously have meant they were in some heavy traffic or something.

Of course, I don't actually believe those figures, and neither should you. I'd love to be able to credit Brian Young with not being the sort to go to such inflationist lengths in the direction of Star Wars, but I can't . . .much as he doesn't argue the Federation has sway in multiple galaxies, I don't recall Brian Young ever even bringing up Galen's finger. Only Obi-Wan's matters to him . . . which, alas, shouldn't surprise a soul.


Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Starship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm
Posts: 1839
Reply with quote
O, you're not wrong, and I've considered long and hard about how best to spend my limited time. I've noted, here or elsewhere, that it would best be spent refreshing ancient pages and working on NLH.

However, the more inflationist content Brian cranks out, the more clear it is that he is the logical Other to Star Wars tech fans just as surely as the Soviet Union was the Other to the United States. As we've seen the US spiral back toward collectivism in the past couple of decades, it is clear that we need an Other to be at our best. Competition has its merits.

I could act like Brian and not explicitly mention him while simultaneously replying to him, but why protect him? Hell, they always used to give me crap if I didn't give names. He's actively wanking Star Wars every which way but loose, and seems quite content to try to make himself the literal poster child for modern inflationists. Besides, it isn't like he's given any indication that less confrontational engagement would have any merit.

So yes, while it might be nice to have a purer-toned site, I think more can be taught at times in a proper adversarial environment. It's not good to define yourself against an Other, but using the Other for all the many teachable moments they provide is really a good thing so long as you don't lose sight of the big picture.


Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Jedi Master

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm
Posts: 2239
Reply with quote
2046 wrote:
Amusingly, in a recent Acceleration video on Youtube he declared that there was unseen time when a ship was deorbiting and landing, which was a reasonable declaration.

However, as we know, he ignores this possibility in regards to take-offs to orbit, and now he's ignoring it in regards to hyperdrive velocities as well.

I haven't watched the remainder of the video because I'm still cleaning up my spewed beverage, but starting at about ten minutes in on his new "swftl.mov" video he takes the last leg of the Malevolence circling the nebula as a realtime event, declaring the ship capable of a parsec in about four minutes, or over one light-year per minute . . . and he also says this is slow on the grounds that Grievous was unhappy with how long the trip in the they-told-me-this-ship-was-fast-ship was taking. (This ignores the long course around the nebula, but whatever.)

"I know there are cuts back and forth in this scene and everything, but uh, and y'know people will complain about that, but uh, the only way we can quantify it is assuming it's real time, going by episode time. Any other time we insert would just be made up."

Huh, funny . . . Star Trek didn't get that treatment. I doubt any other group will, either . . . maybe Babylon 5, but that's about it.

Especially given that he'd also doubled-down on the whole claim that the Republic controlled numerous galaxies (yes, that's plural) . . . put simply, the inflationism has gone totally comedic, and I couldn't watch any more.
It's bad form to not link to the page/site that you are talking about.


Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:53 am
Profile
Starship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm
Posts: 1839
Reply with quote
I assumed we all knew it was scifights.net, and he has no pages . . . just videos. I gave the title.


Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 am
Posts: 6860
Location: Paradise Mountain
Reply with quote
2046 wrote:
I assumed we all knew it was scifights.net, and he has no pages . . . just videos. I gave the title.


Don't mind Lucky, he just walked out of a dispute with 359 and needed to take a hot shower.


Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:50 pm
Profile
Jedi Master

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm
Posts: 2239
Reply with quote
2046 wrote:
I assumed we all knew it was scifights.net, and he has no pages . . . just videos. I gave the title.
1) You stated Brian posts on at least 2 different site, Youtube and Scifilights,net. How am I suppose to know which site to look at?

2) Youtube can be a pain to search through even if you know who's account to look in.

3) You should realize that people who have no idea who Brian Young is read this site from time to time.

4) IF I had been asking for myself i would have wanted a link to the video, a time stamp for the quote, and an exact quote, but that's me. In my experience you aren't one to misrepresent things, but mistakes happen, and I'd rather not sit through 10 to 30 minutes of video checking because I'm the kind of person to double and triple check things.

5) People often misrepresent what you say, and it would be a good idea to not give the slightest amount of ammunition.




On a different note: What if Brian pulls the video?


Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:09 am
Profile
Starship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm
Posts: 1839
Reply with quote
In the "Intergalactic Inflationary, Inflationary Intergalactic" post, I did link to his Star Wars page and gave the title of the video in question.

See, unlike them, I'll link to the opposition . . . you'll find no link to ST-v-SW.Net on Scifights or Clonetrooper Vince's page . . . which is why I find your complaint somewhat grating (no pun intended).

Put simply, though, his presentation technique is pure fail when it comes to commenting in this fashion. That said, it occurs to me that with Youtube it is possible for one to link to a video and starting at a specific time in the video, but that didn't seem necessary for the opening post of this somewhat informal thread where I went to the trouble of directly transcribing his words for him.

But, I'll keep your complaint in mind for next time.

As far as him taking down videos, that's a possibility . . . we know he goes back and edits videos, for instance, and of course there's no way then for one to see the past version.

This is why I save the ones I watch.


Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Jedi Master

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm
Posts: 2239
Reply with quote
2046 wrote:
IIn the "Intergalactic Inflationary, Inflationary Intergalactic" post, I did link to his Star Wars page and gave the title of the video in question.

See, unlike them, I'll link to the opposition . . . you'll find no link to ST-v-SW.Net on Scifights or Clonetrooper Vince's page . . . which is why I find your complaint somewhat grating (no pun intended).
IMO it should have been in the OP, but that's me.

The "Intergalactic Inflationary, Inflationary Intergalactic" would have made a good OP on its own.

2046 wrote:
Put simply, though, his presentation technique is pure fail when it comes to commenting in this fashion. That said, it occurs to me that with Youtube it is possible for one to link to a video and starting at a specific time in the video, but that didn't seem necessary for the opening post of this somewhat informal thread where I went to the trouble of directly transcribing his words for him.
You mean this:
Quote:
"I know there are cuts back and forth in this scene and everything, but uh, and y'know people will complain about that, but uh, the only way we can quantify it is assuming it's real time, going by episode time. Any other time we insert would just be made up."
You weren't paraphrasing when you wrote this?

2046 wrote:
But, I'll keep your complaint in mind for next time.
Making the quote a different color then the rest of the text helps a lot.


2046 wrote:
As far as him taking down videos, that's a possibility . . . we know he goes back and edits videos, for instance, and of course there's no way then for one to see the past version.

This is why I save the ones I watch.
Brain goes back and edits his videos after posting them?

How different are they after he edits them? Some of his videos seemed really disorganized.

As far as him taking down videos, that's a possibility . . . we know he goes back and edits videos, for instance, and of course there's no way then for one to see the past version.

This is why I save the ones I watch.[/quote]


Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:47 am
Profile
Starship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm
Posts: 1839
Reply with quote
No, it was not a paraphrase.


Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.