ST.com

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re:

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:46 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote: I take it that I might want to post a technical analysis of Star Wars: Saga Edition soon? The RPG book is quite informative, particularly the parts dealing with "neutronium" armor and the portable fusion generator.

Actually, there is something interesting that Endor said in the SDN thread, which I am somewhat curious about:
Endor wrote:Never mind the fact that it is blatantly contradicted by the movie - Qui-Gon gives Anakin a power cell that he stole from Watto to power the podracer.
I was under the impression that this cell:
QUI-GON approaches the GROUP and gives ANAKIN a small battery.
JAR JAR gets his hand caught in the afterburner and tries to
tell Anakin, but can't get words out that make sense.

QUI-GON
I think it's time we found out. Use
this power charge.

ANAKIN
Yes, sir!!

ANAKIN jumps into the little capsule behind the two giant
engines. He puts the power pack back into the dashboard.
EVERYONE backs away, except for JAR JAR who calls for help.
Finally PADME frees him and the engines ignite with a ROAR.
EVERYONE cheers.
Was basically serving the same purpose of a battery in a modern gasoline engine - giving a starting spark. Is there anything that tells us otherwise? Endor seems to be suggesting that this provided all the power.
Sorry to beat up on a dead horse and all, but I was re-reading this thread, and I just wanted to say that if indeed the cell powered the racer, then when it was ripped off, the pod racer should have lost all power, yet it din't, it just stalled for a short while, but then Anakin was able to stabilize the power output of both engines by toggling a few levers and switches...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: ST.com

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Oddly enough, I've stumbled over an old source a few days ago, probably WEG, which listed neutronium as part of the alloys used in starship hulls. Then again, the composition of hulls has never been something consistent over the decades of EU.
Man I wish I had remembered where I found this note.
Going by the sources listed on Wookieepedia, I'd say Cracken's Thread Dossier. I always wanted to give it a quick look.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Re:

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Sorry to beat up on a dead horse and all, but I was re-reading this thread, and I just wanted to say that if indeed the cell powered the racer, then when it was ripped off, the pod racer should have lost all power, yet it din't, it just stalled for a short while, but then Anakin was able to stabilize the power output of both engines by toggling a few levers and switches...
I never understood the issue. There already was an energy arc between the two engines of the podracer before Anakin used QGJ's power cell. Obviously the power cell in question only added a fraction, big or small, of the energy needed for the entire system.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Re:

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:Sorry to beat up on a dead horse and all, but I was re-reading this thread, and I just wanted to say that if indeed the cell powered the racer, then when it was ripped off, the pod racer should have lost all power, yet it din't, it just stalled for a short while, but then Anakin was able to stabilize the power output of both engines by toggling a few levers and switches...
I never understood the issue. There already was an energy arc between the two engines of the podracer before Anakin used QGJ's power cell. Obviously the power cell in question only added a fraction, big or small, of the energy needed for the entire system.
Well, judging from the cell's action, then it may have been more like a power regulator instead of some kind of battery...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Howabout starting a thread around this power cell issue in the Trek/Wars forum?
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Howabout starting a thread around this power cell issue in the Trek/Wars forum?
-Mike
Well, originally my intention was simply to point it out, and not really to start a whole debate around it... :)

Do many people really want to discuss the small power cell's actual use on Anakin's Pod Racer?
If so, then I will start the thread...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:05 am

I couldn't care less, frankly. :)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Howabout starting a thread around this power cell issue in the Trek/Wars forum?
-Mike
Well, originally my intention was simply to point it out, and not really to start a whole debate around it... :)

Do many people really want to discuss the small power cell's actual use on Anakin's Pod Racer?
If so, then I will start the thread...
It's your call, but I would point out that a power cell with a high output rating is not unheard of in SW. As you may recall, Luke read the power cell rating for his father's lightsabre and was impressed by it's output capacity. This could be a similar power cell, perhaps a spare that Qui-Gon and other Jedi keep on hand as a reserve or back-up for their lightsabre.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri May 07, 2010 4:30 pm

It still didn't start the Pod-Racer's engine, and still wasn't powering it up, as the movie showed us...

But I have no issues with small, powerful power cells.
After all, Blasters use them, Lightsabres use them (as you said), and in ST, Phasers and Com-Badges use them...

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun May 16, 2010 9:11 pm

Well, dead horse or not, I popped back over to ST.com and discovered Point45 is somehow still there.

DarthServo is active there as well, having racked up a truly astounding post-count for someone who seems to be there primarily to be there to badmouth Star Trek.