Demo Videos

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Demo Videos

Post by 2046 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:22 pm

There are things which are clearly hard to visualize for many people, so I thought it might be best to help in that regard.

As such, I have created and intend to keep creating some demo videos of certain things that are fairly easy to show.

Here's what it would look like to be approaching a planet at high sublight (three quarters lightspeed):

http://dsg2k.blogspot.com/2014/06/demo- ... -075c.html

Here's what ships roughly look like when accelerating away at 20g:

http://dsg2k.blogspot.com/2014/06/accel ... o-20g.html

Starship Captain

Re: Demo Videos

Post by 2046 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:19 pm

1000g acceleration video up:

http://dsg2k.blogspot.com/2014/06/accel ... 1000g.html

What's the ICS figure for a Star Destroyer? 3000g? That's a negative, ghost-rider.

Basically, 1000g is about what fighters look like when going to hyperspace.

I seem to recall a fighter leaving Rodia at a nice clip that looks somewhat like this, but I'll have to find the episode. Even though it's inside the atmosphere, I assumed it was a hyperspace entry . . . in TCW there doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with low-altitude hyperspace entry, but that's another topic.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:31 pm

2046 wrote:I seem to recall a fighter leaving Rodia at a nice clip that looks somewhat like this, but I'll have to find the episode. Even though it's inside the atmosphere, I assumed it was a hyperspace entry . . . in TCW there doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with low-altitude hyperspace entry, but that's another topic.
TCW: "Children of the Force" @06:35. Cad Bane takes off from Rodia in a CIS heavy fighter, of the same style that Grievous uses.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks! I was picturing a Y-wing for some reason.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:35 pm

2046 wrote:1000g acceleration video up:

http://dsg2k.blogspot.com/2014/06/accel ... 1000g.html

What's the ICS figure for a Star Destroyer? 3000g? That's a negative, ghost-rider.

Basically, 1000g is about what fighters look like when going to hyperspace.

I seem to recall a fighter leaving Rodia at a nice clip that looks somewhat like this, but I'll have to find the episode. Even though it's inside the atmosphere, I assumed it was a hyperspace entry . . . in TCW there doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with low-altitude hyperspace entry, but that's another topic.
That, since the episode with the cruiser escpaging and the talk about going through a star.
It's somehow terrible because there's no point crapping pants and crying for super calcs when most of the places people go to are totally mapped and their biggest objects entirely predictable.
It only gets even more absurd since one could literally jump in atmosphere now. It's not much the atmosphere that's the problem, since relative to a planet, it's a very small layer, but it's idea of making a jump that much inside the gravity field of a world.

TPM: Padmé & al have to literally force the Trade Federation blockage before having a chance to kick up the hyperdrive and flee.
AOTC: Dooku can't leave from the atmosphere despite the Galactic Army of the Republic assaulting the planet. Heck, all CIS ships have to take off and at the very least reach orbit before being able to disappear. Jedi starfighters leave their hyperspace-capable docking rings in distant orbit all the time, at the risk of being stranded. Why bother, if they could jump from anywhere within a gravity field?
ROTS: If time was of the essence, why did Palpatine waste so much time jumping out of hyperspace far above Mustafaar?
ANH: the Death Star placing itself in an orbital position instead of going straight above Yavin IV to get a clear LOS. A position that would appear absurdly contrived if the ability to jump in system was so easy.
Same station appeared far, far away from Alderaan and limped towards its target.
The Millennium Falcon equally appeared far away from the gas giant Yavin and had to go round.
TESB: Absolutely ALL Rebel ships have to fly a good distance away from Hoth before jumping to hyperspace, at their own peril while facing Death Squadron's star destroyers and Vader's flagship, the Executor.
ROTJ: the rebel fleet appears at a large distance from the DSII instead of on top of it, or literally inside the force field. No nuclear alpha strike whatever, they have to cover the distance of sublight.
Nuking the shield generator would have been a piece of cake if in-gravity-field jumps could be made.

I guess Stargate and BSG have made Lucas envious. :D

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:18 pm

359 wrote:TCW: "Children of the Force" @06:35. Cad Bane takes off from Rodia in a CIS heavy fighter, of the same style that Grievous uses.
Just got a chance to check this out. I'm estimating based off of the 20g Y-wing and I'd call it about 75 to 100g. I'm comparing based on losing visibility of the ship . . . the 20g Y-wing takes something like three or four seconds, whereas Bane's fighter is gone in around three quarters of a second, so I'm just quadrupling/quintupling, or thereabouts.

Looks to be a purely antigrav maneuver . . . I see no thrusters in use at all.

It's also one of the so-called Utapaun P-38 fighters, also used IIRC to shoot down Anakin and the Twilight over Tatooine in the TCW film. It is not a design limited to Utapau, obviously . . . not sure how the EU went astray there.

In any case, I have long held that antigravs may allow greater than the 20g acceleration observed with the Falcon's afterburner maneuver in deep space, and 75-100g for antigravs would fit that narrative nicely enough and maintain some relatively adequate consistency with what we've seen elsewhere.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:03 am

Now this is really something! Absolutely enthralling...

Annnnnd now I have a new timesink... >_<