Concept for a real Enterprise

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Concept for a real Enterprise

Post by theta_pinch » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Concept for a real Enterprise

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:44 pm

Sexy. Apparently both functional and cool.
I hope they thought about including a secondy bridge deeper inside the ship? Those exposed bridges make me nervous.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:13 am

Nice!

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:55 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Sexy. Apparently both functional and cool.
I hope they thought about including a secondy bridge deeper inside the ship? Those exposed bridges make me nervous.
I suggest you take a closer look at the actual size of the bridge in comparison to the ship. It appears to be about the size of a space shuttle.

theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Post by theta_pinch » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:44 am

Lucky wrote:
I suggest you take a closer look at the actual size of the bridge in comparison to the ship. It appears to be about the size of a space shuttle.
I'm estimating between 40 and 50 meters.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Bridge? Its more like a Space Shuttle orbiter flight deck than ship's bridge, and excluding the Alcubierre drive rings, I would have to agree that this ship is not much larger than the fuselage of a Shuttle orbiter, probably around 37-50 meters is about right. I don't know why the saucer-shaped front section is there, other than to invoke the fictional starships, as they could've just as easily have put a more volume efficient sphere there. But then would look more like the U.S.S. Discovery from 2001: a Space Odyssey, not Star Trek.

Also this design seem to heavily invoke the XCV-330 Enterprise.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:42 pm

Yes, the half-saucer and nacelle-esque modules manage to make it both cool and completely cheesy all at the same time.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Lucky wrote:
Already did, but if they want to get serious about it, I think the sooner they think about protecting the crew as much as possible will one day or another have them realize that unless hull and windows can be made of unobtainium, extra layers of metal and griders between flesh bags and space would be a very good thing.
Plus there won't be much to look at in fact, so what they really want is, at best, an observation canopy, a module of some sort, for one or two people tops and that's all.

theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Post by theta_pinch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Bridge? Its more like a Space Shuttle orbiter flight deck than ship's bridge, and excluding the Alcubierre drive rings, I would have to agree that this ship is not much larger than the fuselage of a Shuttle orbiter, probably around 37-50 meters is about right. I don't know why the saucer-shaped front section is there, other than to invoke the fictional starships, as they could've just as easily have put a more volume efficient sphere there. But then would look more like the U.S.S. Discovery from 2001: a Space Odyssey, not Star Trek.

Also this design seem to heavily invoke the XCV-330 Enterprise.
-Mike
Actually it was intentionally supposed to be reminiscent of the XCV-330 Enterprise.