spacebattles has splintered

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
User1390
Padawan

spacebattles has splintered

Post by User1390 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:00 pm

so sb has splintered into another forum called sufficentvelocity.com
this was because a mod was fired called athene.

the new forum is a lot like sb but has none of the old guard of moderators. of interest for me is that debates coild be free of the heavy hand of moderator bias now. already has many posters and a lot of activity with lots of activie posters abandoning sb.

it could be a chance for a new active place for debate. because i see that as an issue for other alternatives like asvs and sfj that they did not get the same activity with only a core group of posters.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: spacebattles has splintered

Post by Lucky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 am

rebelzarek wrote:so sb has splintered into another forum called sufficentvelocity.com

the new forum is a lot like sb but has none of the old guard of moderators. of interest for me is that debates coild be free of the heavy hand of moderator bias now. already has many posters and a lot of activity with lots of activie posters abandoning sb.

it could be a chance for a new active place for debate. because i see that as an issue for other alternatives like asvs and sfj that they did not get the same activity with only a core group of posters.
I tried finding the site with Google, but found nothing.

User1390
Padawan

Post by User1390 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:17 am

Lucky wrote:
rebelzarek wrote:so sb has splintered into another forum called sufficentvelocity.com

I tried finding the site with Google, but found nothing.
www.sufficientvelocity.com in google and as an address took me there.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 pm

What went on exactly?

User1390
Padawan

Post by User1390 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:04 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:What went on exactly?

I found a threat on sufficientvelocity.com that explains a littl

http://www.sufficientvelocity.com/threa ... es-com.97/

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Thx for the link.
She seemed to have earned a ton of respecet from many members as far as I can read, but at the same time some people equal her ejection to Thanatos', and one thing I can tell for sure about the last one, as for having directly been the subject of his BS moderating, it's that if he was fired for abusing his mod powers, I'm precisely NOWHERE SURPRISED, as it's all deserved.
Now, Athene? I don't even know who the hell she was. So I can't pass any opinion on her.
Although it seems she smacked HMBC pretty hard in the face a couple times:
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... t-11124788
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... t-11019114
June 2013 pretty much was a hot month between Athene and HMBC.
Some moderator might have complained about this and used his more favourable connnection to get a super mod kicked.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Funny to read how White Rabbit was doing the damage control thing.
I guess that's the best he/they found to repay the massive leeway and mod-support he got in debates wherein he'd openly harass and bait members.
Like, why are all these people being over dramatic about the admins lying when they didn't?
Well, guess what. They claimed Athene retired. Like, y'know, on her own volition, and that even implied they had a discussion about it.
Good point.

*eats popcorn*

So much fun! :D

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Yeah, that thread over there is sooooo sweet.

After a few posts, whilst the plot wasn't particularly thickening much, some members' posts revealed that she was a trans. OK, we had how fair deal of heated debates over that, not really the question. So I got my answer about the cryptic he/she I read around page 1 or 2.

No, the icing on the cake is to be found later on, if you're a bit patient.
PAGE 9, there:
Spartan303 wrote: I've been on Spacebattles a lot of years now. I've seen quite a few fucked up things happen. This is just the latest in a long list of them. I find myself indifferent if Athene stays as a MOD or not. Its not like she's been exiled from the site, and there may be a chance she'll get her MOD status back. Stranger things have happened here. I've actually PM'd Athene in the past either asking for clarification on something that is a 'hot topic' that requires a bit of sensitivity in how its handled. Mainly to find if a certain reply I was going to make is pushing the boundaries or blatantly ignoring the rules. I didn't do it often, in fact I rarely post on such hot topics at all, but every now and then I do respond. Back when she was Thanatos, when I got a response it was usually laid out 'this is acceptable, this is not and why its not' Thanatos took time out of his busy schedule to explain it to me. I didn't always agree, But God Damn if I didn't great respect for him for doing that. But when she came out as Athene its like there was this big personality shift. I PM'd Athene like I had done in the past and asked for some clarification on something and got a major rant in response and a verbal warning. It completely floored me as I wasn't expecting that kind of response from someone I respected. God I wish I had saved that conversation, since we're all airing our dirty laundry. And I've noticed Athene get on the Social justice bandwagon and woe to the person on these boards who isn't. Now I'm not the most observant person in the world but I've noticed the change and its been huge. Athene was never 'unbiased'. No Mod really is. Did she deserve to be fired? Maybe, maybe not. And I find I dont really care enough to give it more than a 'meh'.
So much irony.
And totally deserved, btw.

PS: most boards are splintering from SB.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:42 pm

Kier might be happy: the bandwidth problem seems to be solved for now.
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:35 pm

With HBMC still being a moderator there, the place is obviously corrupt to the core. Athenatos engaged him most delightfully but I can't feel too bad for Athenatos on that basis. If you are investing yourself in a kangaroo court, you can't act shocked when they hold a drumhead.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:19 am

Went and peeked at SB, looks like IXJac and a number of other mods have resigned, and then the old set of admins has been retired.

Kinda funny when you compare that to the Obama administration's dealing with scandals.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:29 am

2046 wrote:Went and peeked at SB, looks like IXJac and a number of other mods have resigned, and then the old set of admins has been retired.

Kinda funny when you compare that to the Obama administration's dealing with scandals.
Wow, even a batch of admins got axed?
They really fucked up that much? Clearly, we're not privy to all the tasty bits.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Thu May 01, 2014 7:03 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
2046 wrote:Went and peeked at SB, looks like IXJac and a number of other mods have resigned, and then the old set of admins has been retired.

Wow, even a batch of admins got axed?
They really fucked up that much? Clearly, we're not privy to all the tasty bits.
Uh, no they didn't get axed.

What happened is that Reaperman and the Observer stepped down as active Admins in regards to administration; they're still admins in the sense that they have all the same powers as they did before, but they're gonna stick to the technical side of things. Which is I think, a bit excessive given it was all a misunderstanding followed by a couple of cock-ups...but well, mob mentality.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 01, 2014 11:13 am

It really reads like typical White House plot fiat and silly excuses to demote some members because the jaleous hypocrites are all shouting loud about some unfortunate blowjob or else.
Damn, if one were to step down everytime a minor problem like that happened...
That's quite silly and overdramatic.
Perhaps the new board sufficientvelocity has grown very rapidly in terms of members, but there's no proof this has affected SB in a bad way. If anything, it has removed the people who would be a pain to deal with following the troublesome mod, and assuaged the use of bandwidth.
The problem with the admins is that they dealt with it in an amateur way. Either they had to be 100% diplomatic, or stone cold and just kick annoy-mod officially, without beating around the brush. The first option, well applied, would have done wonders.
OK, now this will settle in a couple weeks and things will resume to daily routine.
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Thu May 01, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 01, 2014 10:01 pm

LOL.
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... me.296825/
Feceshugger is now supermod. Magnificent. It really was worth the trouble. :D