Brian Young and the Star Wars Expanded Universe

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Brian Young and the Star Wars Expanded Universe

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:30 pm

My mistake in how I phrased that, apologies. Nevertheless, I can't think of any way that Brian would fear Wayne retaliating against, unless maybe also it was to out some deep dark secret of their email group or something.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:29 pm

To be so ego driven is something I can't even understand. Some common sense should logically kick in at some point dammit.
As such, I doesn't seem that Brian would display the possession of the kind of astute sense necessary to know when to turn the page and actually get some credits for having improved, whilst all his fame from the SDN days is already lost beyond rot. People are probably much more willing to cut him some severe slack if he would recant from his past BS.
There's just something that doesn't spin right with him. You know, no matter how much you could insist that he was mislead by false information or paid too much attention to red blobs whatever, I can't find excuse for not having the intelligence to ask for complete material instad of taking for granted a big bag of assumptions handed to him.
My point hasn't changed since my first strides in 2002 and my posting on vs boards some years later: if someone provides pictures of so called asteroid vaporization, the least you could do is ask for at least ONE picture that shows the asteroids before being hit by the energy beams. Back then, I'd figure they'd at least have a copy of SW on VHS tapes.
I had the SE, and even without a frame by frame function on the player, the scene of the infamous flak bursts was shot in such a flat and serene way that you had all the time in the world to observe the action and know that there were no asteroids whatsoever. You could replay the scene all the time you wanted if needed. Cherry on top if you had the famed FBF function, indeed.
Even that wannabe lawyer of Vympel went as far as to argue against me that asteroids were either pitch black invisible or totally white as snow, and conveniently stacking either against the black backdrop of space or the white hull of the star destroyer, "explaining" why no one could spot them. Serious. (o_o)
There is no wonder to be had as to why the debates were so silly with these guys on the other side. When people were intelligent, they used their advantage in impressive albeit very wrong ways. The rest, the legions of idiots, just followed.

I'll keep laughing at B. Young. Such stubbornness in sheer mediocrity and stupidity doesn't deserve anything else.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:To be so ego driven is something I can't even understand. Some common sense should logically kick in at some point dammit.

As such, I doesn't seem that Brian would display the possession of the kind of astute sense necessary to know when to turn the page and actually get some credits for having improved, whilst all his fame from the SDN days is already lost beyond rot. People are probably much more willing to cut him some severe slack if he would recant from his past BS.

My point hasn't changed since my first strides in 2002 and my posting on vs boards some years later: if someone provides pictures of so called asteroid vaporization, the least you could do is ask for at least ONE picture that shows the asteroids before being hit by the energy beams. Back then, I'd figure they'd at least have a copy of SW on VHS tapes.
Yes, you're beginning to get what I'm getting at. Brian has a great reason to step out and really show something to the worn out Versus community by setting an example and admitting he was wrong, and his excuse is that he maybe got duped by bad information provided by Wayne Poe. Everyone, except the likes of Vympel and Point45 would forgive him, and maybe start to reevaluate what has been said and done in the Debates these past 15 years or so.

And that's the sad part, it's not about rational thinking, it's about emotional investment and what he might lose if he (Brian) were to come out and say there are no vaporized asteroids there in the aforementioned scenes. The only time you can see that in Star Wars is that lone, unnamed ISD shooting those four small rocks, and even then as you have discovered, even then it might not be because of the turbolaser energy, but because of highly volatile asteroids that explode violently with a modest impact. That's why we don't see in the movies or the SW:TCW scenes of star destroyers bombarding planets with the devastating results Brian and his cohorts say they should... that firepower simply is not there.

Oh sure Brian has admitted that he thinks TDIC's bombardment really happened and he did some numbers to show that 90 isotons might really be 30 or so gigatons. But because of the "threw a bone" mentality, it really seems backhanded, and possibly as a dishonest way to divert attention from the older false conclusions by saying "Hey look! I'm fair".

And furthermore, to claim no flak bursts, just always asteroid hits is to ignore the nature of Star Wars as set by George Lucas and his creative staff; it is WW-I/WW-2 in Space! The TIEs attacking the Falcon choreography in ANH is cribbed straight off of WW-2 footage of Messerschmitt Bf 109s attacking B-17 bombers over Europe. Gun camera footage of dogfights from that era are used for the Battle of Yavin, and that is why we see flak bursts. It fits the look Lucas was going for with AA guns rounds bursting with flak around aircraft.

To ignore all that is to now have to bend over backwards to come up with some really bizarre explanations to explain that all away.
-Mike