Geek Basement is Kaput

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Nowhereman10
Bridge Officer

Geek Basement is Kaput

Post by Nowhereman10 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Apparently Brian Young was unable to drum up enough support for that website. Official word here. In the video he claims the site was around for "months", but it seems except for SDN and ASVS, nothing was put out regarding the Basement on any of the other Versus websites that host forums. I never even saw anything until about 2 weeks ago, which isn't near long enough for anyone to really put an essay or presentation together.

So next time, spread the word around to EVERYONE, not just a couple of sites, and make the case for it!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Geek Basement is Kaput

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:50 pm

I kind of agree there. If you are going to put a site out like that, especially in the over-saturated environment that is the internet Versus Debate community, you have to get out there and promote whatever it is that you're doing. But even then, I still would not have expected a big response, since I suspect that most people largely consider articles and what-have-you have already been written that cover all aspects of the Versus debates, especially Trek vs Wars. I mean, you have Wong's SDN pages, you have Jedi Master Spock's pages, Robert Anderson's pages, the discussion on SDN, SBC, SFJN, etc.

The only thing you have left that you can do is to crib some of the forum discussion for use in articles.

So I think its a combination of a lack of good promotion combined with apathy in the community that would see Geek Basement as redundant and unnecessary.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Geek Basement is Kaput

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:31 pm

Community is burnt. The energy spent on defending or attacking the ICS was immense.