My first ASVS commentary video

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Tyralak
Bridge Officer

My first ASVS commentary video

Post by Tyralak » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:21 am

The first in a series of ASVS commentary videos. Yes, I'm fat, bald and poorly dressed. Get over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkTV1EdLtk0

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: My first ASVS commentary video

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:55 pm

HAHAHA MY GAWD. Indeed you are fat, bald and poorly dressed.
But no Doritos or Mtn Dew placement?

how im to take u srsly ? im disapnt son :(

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Damn, you're sexy.

Actually, add hair and less jowliness and you're me. That explains it.

Anyway, this makes it clear that it is past time for me to write up the complete version of my argument that JJ's prime universe ain't ours, and as such these films are not relevant.

Sorry, hate to do it to someone so good-lookin'.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:39 am

Awwww thanks guys. Well, the main point of my video was to show that the Abrams universe is divergent, and not a replacement for the Prime Universe. The term "reboot" indicates supplanting of the original work, this is off to the side. I'd be interested to see your workup, 2046.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Well to me it's absolutely clear that it's just an alternate timeline with more budget.
Perhaps a slightly radical one.
Was there any real argument that the hackline replaced the original, excepted perhaps from a studio prod POV?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:12 pm

You would not believe how many people thought (and still continue to think) that the Abramsverse films over-wrote the Primeverse.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:07 pm

In a kind of Terminator-like understanding?
Time travel movies were subtle enough not to tell to viewers if the next movies were in a new timeline modified by the former time travel movie.
It's a legit question, and no movie had gone to the length of radically changing the course of ST before.
Whales brought into the future? It does not seem to have changed much and anyway, thanks to the whales for talking to the probe, then the two went on fucking and the species still died in the end. Again.
Borg go to Earth earlier. Hmm, actually that one did influence the timeline, nah?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:57 pm

I agree with you Ty, they're not a reboot...

And I liked them a lot... :)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Tyralak wrote:Awwww thanks guys. Well, the main point of my video was to show that the Abrams universe is divergent, and not a replacement for the Prime Universe. The term "reboot" indicates supplanting of the original work, this is off to the side. I'd be interested to see your workup, 2046.
All the indications are, along with the backstage Word of God, that the ST2009 and Into Darkness did not replace everything else, it is an alternate timeline and universe. As for relevance, well, there I have to argue against Robert, since many aspects of the two universes coincide enough that we can safely say that they are still applicable from a technological standpoint. Pulse phasers instead of beams? Well, Classic Trek's "Balance of Terror" showed that over 46 years ago, and in Deep Space Nine, the Defiant's main weapons are pulse phasers. Star Destroyer-sized starships? The Romulans had the D'Deridex-class Warbirds that are 1.3 km long, the Kazon have ships 2 km long, and the Federation was building ships nearly 700 meters long in the 24th century. In the 22nd century, Vulcan was building ships 600 to 1,000 meters long. With all the implied industrial capability, why not Federation ships 700 m to 1.6 km long? Building starships on the ground? In TNG's "Parallels", the Argus Array imaged the components of a Galaxy-class starship on the ground being manufactured for possible final assembly in space. The big departure is really how warp drive is depicted. It's not the speeds, we already knew warp in charted space was capable of what we see in ST2009 and Into Darkness, but now it looks like Star Wars hyperdrive and even like SW hyperdrive, ships cannot follow each other, which goes completely against everything all prior movies and TV series.

So I'm not sure what Robert means by "relevant" here, other than once the story of this particular timeline runs it's course (i.e. this franchise is no longer profitable) We'll probably see a switch back to the Prime Timeline.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Mike D wrote:but now it looks like Star Wars hyperdrive and even like SW hyperdrive, ships cannot follow each other, which goes completely against everything all prior movies and TV series
Didn't the Vengeance catch up to the Enterprise while she was at Warp?

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:04 am

[quote="Praeothmin]Didn't the Vengeance catch up to the Enterprise while she was at Warp?[/quote]Yes, but that was because the Vengeance was equipped with special 'multi warp' engines according to Carol Marcus. Normally starships can't do that in the alternate reality.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:...but now it looks like Star Wars hyperdrive and even like SW hyperdrive, ships cannot follow each other, which goes completely against everything all prior movies and TV series.
ORLY? :)

ENT and VOY, perhaps some other cases, have shown ships in the same warp corridor exchanging fire. Nothing new.
Plus in theory there is no reason why this shouldn't be possible.

As for the pulse weapons, I guess they considered short burst salvos more preferable with their new designs. It is possible that at great yields, they couldn't have energy beams remain coherent or keep a proper lock, with the weapon banks heating up and vibrating, or whatever.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:51 pm

What exactly was the point of linking to a page on photon torpedo glow size growth got to do with Abramsverse ST warp drive issues?
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:02 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:What exactly was the point of linking to a page on photon torpedo glow size growth got to do with Abramsverse ST warp drive issues?
-Mike
I don't link to such a page if there's no reason. One the page, one can find some examples of ships exchanging fire when both were flying at warp in the same tunnel. That's especially true in Voyager, but it seems Enterprise also had a case of an aft torp launch at warp against, I presume, a ship chasing her.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Tyralak wrote:The first in a series of ASVS commentary videos. Yes, I'm fat, bald and poorly dressed. Get over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkTV1EdLtk0
You don't look bad.

And STO written better than SW's EU? I'll admit I haven't read much SW EU, but damn, the STO standards for writing are low. I mean, they had some interesting ideas, but God damn, the timeline is so full of bullcrap. Martok being ousted? The Duras returning (seriously, the fuck is up with the focus on the Duras? They all died in TNG's movie and they were outcast in the TNG era, little more than mercenaries and the like), the idea that a house, convicted of conspiring with the Romulans to betray their own and later affecting a civil war against legal authority--to return in full power is absurd to its fullest.

And keep in mind that not only would the Duras have to deal with the reality of what they did to the Empire, but the Empire went through Gowron's political scrubbing of the situation, where he downplayed the Federation's role and most certainly demonized the Duras. All of this was done so as to make the Klingons into enemies--AGAIN. It's so lame.

Especially when you could have mounting conflicts or at least political drama over the Klingons just invading a weakened Romulan Empire--their greatest and most hated enemy throughout the TNG era. That would put them at odds, as it did when the invaded Cardassia. Conflicts could arise, but you could also have them as tenable allies because of the history of the Dominion War.

And then of course, there was bringing back 8472 and downplaying the Borg. And the retard-induced idea of making Chakotay part of Starfleet Intelligence/Security. And then having him openly announcing that spies had infiltrated the UFP and that they were getting to the bottom of it. Surprise, surprise--the spies up and left, no doubt carrying valuable intelligence with them. Good job asshole.

Yeah, STO is a rather pathetic attempt to recapture DS9 again. And it did a shit job of it. Like, weapons grade shit.

Also, the gameplay is pretty crappy.