My first ASVS commentary video

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: My first ASVS commentary video

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Mith wrote:
Tyralak wrote:The first in a series of ASVS commentary videos. Yes, I'm fat, bald and poorly dressed. Get over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkTV1EdLtk0
You don't look bad.
Ok now you're gay.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:43 am

Mith wrote:
Tyralak wrote:The first in a series of ASVS commentary videos. Yes, I'm fat, bald and poorly dressed. Get over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkTV1EdLtk0
You don't look bad.

And STO written better than SW's EU?
A good chunk of it, yes. You obviously never heard of the Ewoks cartoon, which showed that Endor's seasons are controlled by an item called the "Season Scepter", with the Sun King, Snow King, Leaf Queen, and Flower Queen being the actual embodiment of the seasons.

Then, there's the Seventh Battle of Ruusan, which gave us... this:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... ruusan.jpg

Note: This battle took place in 1000 BBY - LONG after the invention of the hyperdrive.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:34 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:What exactly was the point of linking to a page on photon torpedo glow size growth got to do with Abramsverse ST warp drive issues?
-Mike
I don't link to such a page if there's no reason. One the page, one can find some examples of ships exchanging fire when both were flying at warp in the same tunnel. That's especially true in Voyager, but it seems Enterprise also had a case of an aft torp launch at warp against, I presume, a ship chasing her.
All right. But here's the thing, Prime Timeline Trek warp is not a tunneling effect per se, it is instead a subspace bubble wrapped around the ship. The Abramsverse Trek is like a tunnel, hence very much like the hyperdrive of Star Wars, or the transwarp conduits of the Borg.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:21 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:What exactly was the point of linking to a page on photon torpedo glow size growth got to do with Abramsverse ST warp drive issues?
-Mike
I don't link to such a page if there's no reason. One the page, one can find some examples of ships exchanging fire when both were flying at warp in the same tunnel. That's especially true in Voyager, but it seems Enterprise also had a case of an aft torp launch at warp against, I presume, a ship chasing her.
All right. But here's the thing, Prime Timeline Trek warp is not a tunneling effect per se, it is instead a subspace bubble wrapped around the ship. The Abramsverse Trek is like a tunnel, hence very much like the hyperdrive of Star Wars, or the transwarp conduits of the Borg.
-Mike
I linked to the other page mainly to demonstrate about ships following each other, not for the looks of travel at warp.

But, on the topic of effects, there's that VOY case that looks the same to me. If in the prime timeline, we get tunnels, why not in the new one?
That said, perhaps the tunnel effect in Voyager it was due to a different tech and not just plain classic warp. Perhaps they were in transwarp? A borg tunnel or something?
Yet, erm, in TPM, we distorsion because of the asteroid also ended producing a tunnel, so there might be due something there as well. Go figure.

Usual warp was just a few streaks with space in the background.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:41 pm

That's from "Hope and Fear" with Voyager in slipstream drive, an alien technology similar to Borg transwarp conduit tech.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:That's from "Hope and Fear" with Voyager in slipstream drive, an alien technology similar to Borg transwarp conduit tech.
-Mike
Right. So now, is it possible that some transwarp tech got leaked back into time, or that by sheer luck and a chance of focus on some research, a slow form of transwarp was found or focused on?
The new timeline still follows ENT, which used typical warp. Something must have happened in between.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:00 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:That's from "Hope and Fear" with Voyager in slipstream drive, an alien technology similar to Borg transwarp conduit tech.
-Mike
Right. So now, is it possible that some transwarp tech got leaked back into time, or that by sheer luck and a chance of focus on some research, a slow form of transwarp was found or focused on?
The new timeline still follows ENT, which used typical warp. Something must have happened in between.
Well, if slipstream or transwarp made it back in the 2250s of the Abramsverse, then it had to have been brought back via the Narada. But how did that tech get into Federation hands when the Narada was never closely inspected, except for whatever sensor scans the U.S.S. Kelvin managed to make of her? And remember that the Narada is shown zipping around with this same Star Wars Warp Drive that the Federation ships are. Now if we throw in the Star Trek Online "soft canon" background material, then yes, the Federation and other Alpha and Beta quadrant powers do have transwarp and slipstream and it is possible that Narada was equipped with one or the other before it was thrown back in time. But how the tech was obtained by the 2230s Federation is a big unknown that's tough to explain.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:07 am

The Narada was hanging around for 25 years, and the crew show signs of wear. Who knows what might have occurred in that time to allow tech transfer to other races? The Kelvin herself was never seen to use screamwarp, after all.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:48 pm

That question can be easily answered by the deleted scenes of Nero and his crew escaping the Klingon prison planet of Rura Penthe, depending whether you consider such scenes canon.

Speaking of the Kelvin the original exterior finish of the that ship was supposed to look like the Prime timeline's Constitution class, from the mostly smooth ghost grey colored finish to the copper navigational deflector dish antenna, markings, and so on. Too bad they didn't as that would have established in the minds of old fans of Trek a better appreciation of the changes that would occur due to the Narada incursion.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:53 pm

2046 wrote:The Narada was hanging around for 25 years, and the crew show signs of wear. Who knows what might have occurred in that time to allow tech transfer to other races? The Kelvin herself was never seen to use screamwarp, after all.
There are notable differences that happen before the Narada arrives from the Prime timeline like the huge shuttle bays.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Except that was a different class of starship all together, and according to the backstage info was intended to have a large shuttle compliment for extensive planetary surveys, and to conduct evacuations.
-Mike