250 sextillion megatons ... the firepower of the Death Star

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Lucky
Jedi Master

250 sextillion megatons ... the firepower of the Death Star

Post by Lucky » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUSQZmqFQl8

This seems like the same old Death Star Superlaser B.S., but I thought you guys might want to check it out.

I'd never seen this site before
STAR WARS Technical Presentations
http://www.geeksbasement.net/vince/

Jedi Knight

Re: 250 sextillion megatons ... the firepower of the Death S

Post by 359 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:23 pm

the geeksbasement site is relitively new, there's a thread at ASVS in the scifights.net section. The site is essentially an extension of scifights.net for readers to contribute to.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:03 am

359 wrote:the geeksbasement site is relitively new, there's a thread at ASVS in the scifights.net section. The site is essentially an extension of scifights.net for readers to contribute to.
Well his video doesn't seem to work on my computer. All it says is "PowerPoint Web App", and has 4 dots moving across the screen.

Why would someone ever make a video about full planetary shields and the Deathstar's superlaser when there are no when there is never an example of shields covering an entire planet much less a planet a superlaser was used on?

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:06 am

On the site it's not a video but a web based powerpoint slideshow.

As for why they would make it, because they want to argue what you think is not there is there.
And as you commented on earlier it is exactly the same old Death Star argument again.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:09 am

359 wrote: On the site it's not a video but a web based powerpoint slideshow.
I don't see a real difference between a video and a powerpoint slideshow, and at the end of the day what it is irrelevant because it does not serve its purpose if it can't be viewed.

What's wrong with stills and text? It makes understanding what someone is saying easier to dissect.

359 wrote: As for why they would make it, because they want to argue what you think is not there is there.
And as you commented on earlier it is exactly the same old Death Star argument again.
If someone wants to claim Aldderaan had a shield they need to:

1) Show that there is something that is not found in a picture of real world Earth.

2) Prove the shield was turned on. There is no reason for the citizens of Alderaan to have a shield turned on.

3) Get the Dark Empire Source Book declared non-canon.
Dark Empire Sourcebook, p.125 wrote: Alderaan had no shields of any kind, so it was utterly vaporized. A shielded planet that is overcome by a superlaser may "merely" have its entire surface burned off or split into several pieces. Note that planets don't have to be destroyed to be rendered uninhabitable.
I've never seen anyone do 1, 2, or 3.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:44 pm

I recognize that it's often the wankery side of SW which has often gone the length to spread their arguments in a variety of forms and good enough supports.
Often times the opposition hardly bothers providing an equally neatly arranged vector of diffusion for counter arguments and sound points. It's all too messy.

However, after reading the title and the mention of 250 sexsomething, I thought we'd get blessed with that metaverse obliterator picture again.

You must admit that there's some magic to the association of 250, sex and megatons.

Firmus Piett
Padawan

Post by Firmus Piett » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Just to let you guys know that project for "readers" is not only to entice people who agree with Brians / Saxtons / Mikes analysis's, but also for anyone who actually disagrees with their interpretations and would like to put forward their own hypothesis on these things.

The ICS is essentially a set of results derived from canon sources under certain interpretation -- if you wanna put forward a Star Wars hypothesis for energy / force negating ion drives, Death Star supermagic lasers and one ton heavy turbolasers then you can and you will not be censored.

Source
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxY2cJO ... VQeHAwfyyA

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:21 am

Welcome to the forum, Piett. There's a lot of problems with some of the assumptions I saw bandied about. If you include the EU Death Star novel, all bets are off, since that book essentially states that the Death Star blows up planets using a wonky chain-reaction method involving shunting part of the target planet off into hyperspace, and the luminescent planar ring is the result of "hyperspace reflux". That's all C-canon, and it is not in any way contradicted by G or T canon. SFJN has quite a bit of discussion on this issue, you can pick "Star Wars: Death Star" and the destruction of Alderaan", or "The Death Star's power output confirmed!" threads from several years ago, among many others.

The fact is, it isn't really about raw direct energy transfer any more than trilithium weapons that blow up stars in Star Trek are.
-Mike

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:12 pm

I would also like to extend a welcome to our new forum member ^_^

I'll also second what Mike said (beating me to the punch as always Mike!)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:51 pm

Firmus Piett wrote:Just to let you guys know that project for "readers" is not only to entice people who agree with Brians / Saxtons / Mikes analysis's, but also for anyone who actually disagrees with their interpretations and would like to put forward their own hypothesis on these things.

The ICS is essentially a set of results derived from canon sources under certain interpretation -- if you wanna put forward a Star Wars hypothesis for energy / force negating ion drives, Death Star supermagic lasers and one ton heavy turbolasers then you can and you will not be censored.

Source
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxY2cJO ... VQeHAwfyyA
Welcome,, I'm sorry if I'm not in the best of moods right now.

Brian Young's videos generally aren't very well respected here do to the "certain interpretation" you are talking about. If the interpretation is never seen in the setting, and does not mesh with plot and dialog then the interpretation needs to be reevaluated or outright discarded.

-----

You may want to look through these threads:

http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... =14&t=6464

http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... =14&t=3281