TESB analysis: Hoth attack Fiasco

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Jedi Knight

Re: TESB analysis: Hoth attack Fiasco

Post by 359 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Lucky wrote:You guys do realize that a single Trede Fed donut could blockade an entire system.
When was that? The only two instances I recall a Trade Federation blockade are in The Phantom Menace and TCW: "Storm Over Ryloth". In both of those there had multiple ships in the blockade, although the one on Ryloth was still quite small.

But you do have a point regarding hyper-lanes, which would help explain the effectiveness of such small blockade forces.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:18 am

359 wrote: When was that? The only two instances I recall a Trade Federation blockade are in The Phantom Menace and TCW: "Storm Over Ryloth". In both of those there had multiple ships in the blockade, although the one on Ryloth was still quite small.

But you do have a point regarding hyper-lanes, which would help explain the effectiveness of such small blockade forces.
The Phantom Menace is in no way a normal blockade in Star Wars. This is even mentioned in the movie, and when the Princess returns to Naboo there are far fewer Trade Federation ships as I recall.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blockade_of_Pantora
It would appear a single ship can blockade a planet if it does not expect to face warships, and even when expecting warships the blockade is not normally more then about 10 ships. If the Empire truly expects the rebels to only have a few fighters and unarmed transports then a single Star Destroyer with its complement of T.I.E. should be enough to at least cover the most likely avenue of escape.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 am

359 wrote: When was that? The only two instances I recall a Trade Federation blockade are in The Phantom Menace and TCW: "Storm Over Ryloth". In both of those there had multiple ships in the blockade, although the one on Ryloth was still quite small.

The Phantom Menace is in no way a normal blockade in Star Wars. This is even mentioned in the movie, and when the Princess returns to Naboo there are far fewer Trade Federation ships as I recall.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blockade_of_Pantora
It would appear a single ship can blockade a planet if it does not expect to face warships, and even when expecting warships the blockade is not normally more then about 10 ships. If the Empire truly expects the rebels to only have a few fighters and unarmed transports then a single Star Destroyer with its complement of T.I.E. should be enough to at least cover the most likely avenue of escape.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:52 pm

When you can put ships in orbit of planets at high speeds and more or less leave or enter an atmosphere under a minute with the most basic ship, it's not really hard to catch on someone trying to leave or get in, especially if as part of the blockade, you've actually targeted spaceports.
It's not a surprise that the Naboo blockade required more ships at the beginning than at the end, when the Naboo society was all locked up.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:When you can put ships in orbit of planets at high speeds and more or less leave or enter an atmosphere under a minute with the most basic ship, it's not really hard to catch on someone trying to leave or get in, especially if as part of the blockade, you've actually targeted spaceports.
It's not a surprise that the Naboo blockade required more ships at the beginning than at the end, when the Naboo society was all locked up.
But you only need to cover the hyperlanes rather then the planet in Star wars.

Naboo have about one or two cities on it total, and only the princess seems to have ships.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:When you can put ships in orbit of planets at high speeds and more or less leave or enter an atmosphere under a minute with the most basic ship, it's not really hard to catch on someone trying to leave or get in, especially if as part of the blockade, you've actually targeted spaceports.
But you only need to cover the hyperlanes rather then the planet in Star wars.

Naboo have about one or two cities on it total, and only the princess seems to have ships.
Well then it was just a show of (overkill) force from the Trade Federation, showing that they meant business... err, literally.
But I doubt that only the royal court had access to ships. Even Palpatine would need to have his own ships. Plus the Nubian ships, if they're made on Naboo, are clearly known outside of this planet by Wattoo, even if he was on Tatooine, which isn't very far. He has spare parts, which wouldn't make much sense as the high dignitaries would probably get their spare parts from better places I believe.
At least in the EU it is mentioned that Naboo sells its plasma in the Inside the Locations of TPM I think.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Well then it was just a show of (overkill) force from the Trade Federation, showing that they meant business... err, literally.
That was kind of the point that set the Jedi off as to something really strange was going on. The invasion and blockade just wasn't normal.

One really has to wonder how high Republic taxes are

Mr. Oragahn wrote: But I doubt that only the royal court had access to ships. Even Palpatine would need to have his own ships. Plus the Nubian ships, if they're made on Naboo, are clearly known outside of this planet by Wattoo, even if he was on Tatooine, which isn't very far. He has spare parts, which wouldn't make much sense as the high dignitaries would probably get their spare parts from better places I believe.
The point is that almost everyone lives in one of the two cities, and one of those cities is the underwater Gungan city.

In the real world car makers often have other companies build the engines and such. Naboo just doesn't have the industry to build all the ship parts themselves
Mr. Oragahn wrote: At least in the EU it is mentioned that Naboo sells its plasma in the Inside the Locations of TPM I think.
WTF! That does not make sense.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 pm

Frankly we can't say anything about the Naboo industry or lack thereof.
We simply didn't see enough of it. I have not seen any evidence in TPM that their ships are built outside. Nor their fighters.
The EU has already settled the question but the higher canon is too vague and I'm too lazy to bother reading the TPM novelization to find any bit of data going either way.