Star Trek Weapons and Technology Discussion

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mith
Starship Captain

Re: Star Trek Weapons and Technology Discussion

Post by Mith » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:36 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:You're not being treated like a Warsie, a series of mistakes are being pointed out.
You said "conveniently forgot".
However now that you bring that up, I would politely point out, that in order to argue against high Trek energy generation and firepower, you are at times using some of their more grievous methods. But Rama, is as usual, the most serious offender, with his/her/its regurgitation of Wong's propaganda.
If he is misquoting information, would you happen to know what? I don't think he's wrong on his stance in regards to energy in the corona of a star, though I seriously do doubt his claims in regards to solar flares, but it's difficult to find any sort of reliable information in regards to the subject.
The BoT mistakes do seriously affect your proposition since it is a clear cut demonstration of extremely powerful weapons and one being used by a slow and underpowered vessel by even TOS' standards. That weapon, again as demonstrated when all the proper dialog and context is accounted for, clearly shows firepower for Trek in the hundreds of gigaton range.
While the fact that something as small as the BoP could fire it, the weapon itself was considered exceptionally powerful. In regards to the 'reduced to dust' comment, I think that's hardly fair, considering that it was probably just hyperbole for debris.

However, you are correct that my power figures are off. The yield for such a weapon would actually be 42.9 megatons, assuming igneous rock, which I think is a bit low considering that it was made of mostly iron. Of course, this does assume that the entire asteroid was destroyed by that one hit.

As was indicated, that despite the shield and being below a mile of almost solid iron, the base had suffered heavy damage. That would seem to indicate that the plasma torpedo damaged its way down to a certain degree.
A multi-mile wide iron asteroid was crushed in seconds to dust. Your assertion that the asteroid was only a kilometer or so wide was clearly wrong, and your descriptions of the effects were very wrong, hence your conclusion that the asteroid only needed a few tens of megatons to destroy was also equally wrong as a result.

Worst of all, Mith. No fact checking. You never bothered to go to Chrissie's Transcripts, or look on Trekcore for confirmation. I know you can do better than that.
*cough*

Actually, I did check. My mistakes were actually two-fold.

1) Since tends to use metric, I sort of read it as a kilometer without even thinking. Sounds weird, but I had just doubled checked the information and then went to plug it into the calculator.

2) When it said a mile deep, I didn't treat that as covering all dimensions. That was probably the more embarrassing part. Otherwise, my assertion would have been 2 kilometers plus whatever size the actual outpost could be. At most would probably be three kilometers.
If anything, BoT confirms the possibility of high megation to low gigaton Trek firepower and power generation. Even if we assumed that the plasma torpedo dissipated to less than 1 percent of it's original energy level by the time it caught up to the Enterprise, that still would mean the she absorbed around 2 gigatons. Given the weapon's nature, it means the Enterprise was in relatively bad shape by the time the Romulans mined her with the nuke charge.
Duly noted. You are correct in that the maximum yield can in fact be in the gigaton range, at least if we take the quote more literally. Of course, I think we shouldn't, as we see that in the event of Archer and the phase cannons, such comments can lead to rather glaring errors.

However, the weapon is clearly very powerful, even assuming the lowest possible qualifications (just the asteroid alone, not the actual station) would give us 33.3 megatons.
Oh, by the way, Tlonak is likely none other than our very own KirkSkywalker.
-Mike
That sounds vaguely familiar, but he doesn't seem to recognize me at all. Perhaps he might be simply laying low, but either way, he isn't all too bright.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:02 am

Mith wrote:If he is misquoting information, would you happen to know what? I don't think he's wrong on his stance in regards to energy in the corona of a star, though I seriously do doubt his claims in regards to solar flares, but it's difficult to find any sort of reliable information in regards to the subject.
Mostly all of it. The E-D in "Relics" was at an altitude of 150,000 km from a G-type star, and later it is shown flying through a major solar flare. Furthermore, since he swipes from Wong, many of his shield number assumptions will be horribly wrong, such as the surface area of the E-D shields. Wong just assumes the E-D had a cross section of 600 x 150 meters, when in actuality it is more like 750 x 400 meters and depending on the facing as much as 800 x 550 meters. Also I33telboi gives a good link on solar flares and their energy states on page 14 of the thread that's well worth looking at.
Duly noted. You are correct in that the maximum yield can in fact be in the gigaton range, at least if we take the quote more literally. Of course, I think we shouldn't, as we see that in the event of Archer and the phase cannons, such comments can lead to rather glaring errors.
Context, Mith. It's all about context. Archer was angry. Spock, on the other hand was giving a quick, but detailed assessment of the attacked outposts' condition while looking in real time at the sensors. Spock being a Vulcan is not prone to making hyperbole and off the cuff statements due to emotion.
While the fact that something as small as the BoP could fire it, the weapon itself was considered exceptionally powerful. In regards to the 'reduced to dust' comment, I think that's hardly fair, considering that it was probably just hyperbole for debris.
Look at the quote again:

SPOCK: Sweeping the area of Outpost two. Sensor reading indefinite. Double-checking Outpost three. I read dust and debris. Both Earth outposts gone, and the asteroids they were constructed on, pulverised.

Note that Spock clearly separates the two; Dust and debris are what he reads as all that is left of Outpost Three. That's quite definitive right there. A mostly iron asteroid, at least 3.2 km wide, was imploded into dust. Later, the debris is defined as what is left of Outpost Four itself, and that piece was barely the size of a small dinner plate and was rendered incredibly fragile and prone to brittleness.
-Mike

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:26 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Context, Mith. It's all about context. Archer was angry. Spock, on the other hand was giving a quick, but detailed assessment of the attacked outposts' condition while looking in real time at the sensors. Spock being a Vulcan is not prone to making hyperbole and off the cuff statements due to emotion.

Look at the quote again:

SPOCK: Sweeping the area of Outpost two. Sensor reading indefinite. Double-checking Outpost three. I read dust and debris. Both Earth outposts gone, and the asteroids they were constructed on, pulverised.

Note that Spock clearly separates the two; Dust and debris are what he reads as all that is left of Outpost Three. That's quite definitive right there. A mostly iron asteroid, at least 3.2 km wide, was imploded into dust. Later, the debris is defined as what is left of Outpost Four itself, and that piece was barely the size of a small dinner plate and was rendered incredibly fragile and prone to brittleness.
-Mike
Okay, but that doesn't really say that the destruction was anything other than breaking the asteroid apart. Dust and debris appearing together isn't really all that shocking. As for the material, where did he say that was the only piece of material left? And even if it had been reduced to being incredibly brittle, what does that prove?

I'm not seeing how anyone is going to get gigatons out of this weapon.

Also, plasma torpedoes being an implosion weapon...involving plasma is all kinds of stupid.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Mith wrote:Okay, but that doesn't really say that the destruction was anything other than breaking the asteroid apart. Dust and debris appearing together isn't really all that shocking. As for the material, where did he say that was the only piece of material left? And even if it had been reduced to being incredibly brittle, what does that prove?
The amount of dust is quite significant, otherwise Spock would not have bothered to report the finding when giving a summary of what the sensor readings were. Even if we went with say, 20 percent of the asteroid and base were pulverized to dust, you still have to use a huge amount of energy to get that 20 percent crushed down to dust, Mith. That's just a fact. Spock is reporting significant findings, not trivial ones.
Mith wrote:I'm not seeing how anyone is going to get gigatons out of this weapon.
It's quite easy when you let the facts of the episode speak for themselves. A large solid iron asteroid and the outpost base inside it was crushed by forced implosion via plasma energy into dust and debris. The sample piece of the debris was a piece of once super-tough material:

SPOCK: From the outpost's protective shield. Cast rodinium. This is the hardest substance known to our science.

(He crushes it with his hand)

SPOCK: Lab theorises an enveloping energy plasma forcing an implosion.

Now given how tough Trek materials are, the fact that this weapon applied enough mechanical force to not only break it into a pieces the size of a dinner plate, but leave that debris highly brittle to the point that a man applying a few pounds of pressure could make it crumble is really damn impressive.
Mith wrote:Also, plasma torpedoes being an implosion weapon...involving plasma is all kinds of stupid.
But irrelevant. The facts are the facts and the mechanism for the weapon's operation are in evidence. That you don't like that is not important and we have to evaluate everything from that evidence.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Since it's a technobabble weapon, what about a halfway NDF weapon that breaks bonds without going the distance as far as to dump matter into subspace or whatever, but stops at the point where most matter will simply turn into pebble masses barely holding together.
Then, followed by a plasma-based concussion that descends to the center of the asteroid ? The pressure wave would clearly make that an implosion.