The Meerkat Musings Forum

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Sothis
Bridge Officer

The Meerkat Musings Forum

Post by Sothis » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:05 pm

At the risk of being a bit naughty, and seeing how this board is overrun with spambots, I invite any interested parties to www.meerkatmusings.co.uk/forum.

misternobody86
Redshirt

Re: The Meerkat Musings Forum

Post by misternobody86 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:51 am

Sothis wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:05 pm
At the risk of being a bit naughty, and seeing how this board is overrun with spambots, I invite any interested parties to www.meerkatmusings.co.uk/forum.
Had a passing interest, I certainly could use a place to chat and rekindle my interest in an old past time of my youth. But checking out your site, I don't think I'd be very welcome. So its probably best to take your advice and "shrug and move along".

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:08 pm

It depends. I don't turn people away without a reason. You'd have to give me a good reason to ban/block, and everyone is welcome.

misternobody86
Redshirt

Post by misternobody86 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:32 pm

Sothis wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:08 pm
It depends. I don't turn people away without a reason. You'd have to give me a good reason to ban/block, and everyone is welcome.
I said nothing about being banned or blocked or that I would *do* anything. I said I wouldn't be welcome there which, giving your articles a second look, I would conclude is very much true. I don't think I'd be a good fit for your board culture. For instance here and here. Where you not only wish to force upon everyone else your opinion on what is and isn't Trek but you post someone else's conversation with you simply to degenerate and mock them in your own mini- hall of shame.

There's also this recent tweet. Where instead of disagreeing that the term "antivaxxers" is dehumanizing or acknowledging the humanity of the otherside with their own views, perspectives and beliefs you instead argue they are the ones committing atrocities and thus deserve this dehumanization. Missing, deliberately or otherwise, the point being raised.

So no, I don't think I'd be a good fit to hang out with you. Nor would I really want too.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:53 am

*shrug* I'm no more forcing my opinions than I am responding to people doing the very same, and I tend to treat fire with fire, to a certain degree. I don't declare my opinions to be facts, unlike others, but I'll stand by my opinions on what Trek is, because no one gets to define it for me.

As for anti-vaxxers... I don't fall for their rhetoric that they're being dehumanised, and they're the ones placing lives in danger, in a blithe, arrogant fashion. Some of them are going as far as to compare themselves as Jews during the Holocaust, a truly ignorant comparison.

misternobody86
Redshirt

Post by misternobody86 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:47 pm

Sothis wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:53 am
*shrug* I'm no more forcing my opinions than I am responding to people doing the very same, and I tend to treat fire with fire, to a certain degree. I don't declare my opinions to be facts, unlike others, but I'll stand by my opinions on what Trek is, because no one gets to define it for me.
To quote from the very page I linked you " It is anathema to what Star Trek is all about. It is not for me, or anyone else, to decide what is ‘true Trek’". You aren't saying "This" is Trek in my opinion. You are saying "This" is Trek period. Anyone who voices an alternative view, say that JJ Trek misses what Trek is supposed to be, is just a derisive, subjective opinion that is, in your eyes, problematic by its mere existence. That it "pains" you because them expressing their view " override everyone else’s".

You are the one trying to define what Trek is instead of letting people freely make their own decisions if they think NuTrek deserves the label or not. You have two pages dedicated just for that topic.

Additionally I'm not sure why "responding to people" entails creating a hall of shame to mock their conversation. You didn't even block out the user's name on the second one. Which doesn't seem very nice.
As for anti-vaxxers... I don't fall for their rhetoric that they're being dehumanised, and they're the ones placing lives in danger, in a blithe, arrogant fashion. Some of them are going as far as to compare themselves as Jews during the Holocaust, a truly ignorant comparison.
Its not a rhetoric. You are literally dehumanizing them in your reply right now. Is a little human empathy so hard?

To clarify. The original quote said, to paraphrase, " You call us bad people to justify doing bad things to us". And your continued reply is "But they are bad people!". Which proves, rather than refutes, the original poster's point.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:08 pm

I don't quite know how you have mangled what I have written in regards to the 'true Trek' rhetoric, but your interpretation of what I've written is yours and I have my suspicions that nothing I say will change your mind. Likewise with the strange argument that I'm dehumanising anti-vaxxers.

I reject the attempts but others to define Trek for everyone else. I believe that is abundantly clear in what I've written. I'm also in no obligation to hide the Twitter handles of the people I discuss things with. It's already a public forum (Twitter that is), and I accept the same can and will happen to me. I wouldn't place opinions and thoughts onto Twitter (or indeed online at all) if I wasn't prepared for people to dissect, critique and mock what I have to say.

What I object to (and again, I believe this is abundantly clear) is this notion that an opinion can override the facts. My 'opponent' in the pages you mentioned (along with other individuals) has taken this to a whole new level. Their exhaustive analysis of the new Trek shows has led to him to declare (as though he has the power to do so) that they're not 'true' Trek, which is a disturbing term. The opposite of true is false. If we switched out Trek for faith/religion, we'd have what looks like a fanatical position. The further implication is that if you're a fan of this 'untrue' Trek, you're not really a fan. But, I've made these views clear on my site already, and I won't discuss them any further here. You're welcome (despite your thoughts to the contrary) to leave a comment, or start your own site and dissect everything I have to say. Start your own Twitter account and do the same.

As for anti-vaxxers - they are placing lives at risk are they not? Their complaint is that they're being treated as though they're placing others lives at risk. Do you believe it is unreasonable to point out their ignorance and flaunting of the rules places others lives in danger?

I leave this thread to you. I have not got the time to indulge in what looks suspiciously like a conversation you were prodding for early on.

misternobody86
Redshirt

Post by misternobody86 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:25 pm

Sothis wrote:I don't quite know how you have mangled what I have written in regards to the 'true Trek' rhetoric
I merely read back what you've written. That no one else but you can define what "Trek" is. That if someone has a counter-viewpoint they are "wrong" and shouldn't voice it. That they instead should validate your opinion of what Trek actually is. Something you double down on in this very post in fact. Dismissing your opponents' views as being merely subjective opinion compared to your objective truth.

Of the two positions, yours comes across as the one that most reminds me of a Religion. The "Truetrek" crowd base their position on arguments and evidence. One can certainly not agree with their assessment but they at least offer an argument to respond too.
I'm also in no obligation to hide the Twitter handles of the people I discuss things with. It's already a public forum (Twitter that is), and I accept the same can and will happen to me. I wouldn't place opinions and thoughts onto Twitter (or indeed online at all) if I wasn't prepared for people to dissect, critique and mock what I have to say.
I never claimed you were under an "obligation". I just felt it was kind of mean. Again a hall of shame to mock people for daring to hold opposing views. Kind of goes against the "everyone is welcome" spiel you offered me.
The further implication is that if you're a fan of this 'untrue' Trek, you're not really a fan.
That is certainly possible. Classic Trek and NuTrek are fairly different beasts. Whether that is a good or bad thing is another matter entirely. If you like JJ Trek it is far from a forgone conclusion that you'll like, say, TNG. Nor is this anything new to fandom or Trek in particular.
As for anti-vaxxers - they are placing lives at risk are they not? Their complaint is that they're being treated as though they're placing others lives at risk. Do you believe it is unreasonable to point out their ignorance and flaunting of the rules places others lives in danger?
Actually placing other "lives at risk" is a matter of dispute. They don't believe so, unless I'm mistaken. Their view is the risk, such as it is, is only theirs. Which again brings us back to the point that rather than trying to understand the other side, even if you disagree with them, you reduce them to cartoonish villains. Which was the point you tried to refute by...calling them cartoonish villains.
I leave this thread to you. I have not got the time to indulge in what looks suspiciously like a conversation you were prodding for early on.
You are of course free to do as you wish, Sothis. Personally I see this merely as evidence we would not get along well and I would not do well on your forum. Either you would have to compromise or I would.

Have a happy life, my friend.