What do you think of Sufficient Velocity?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Prince of Somerville
Welcome the new member!

What do you think of Sufficient Velocity?

Post by Prince of Somerville » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:50 pm

What do you think of that website Sufficient Velocity?

I think they are a little bit nuts, politically.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Re: What do you think of Sufficient Velocity?

Post by Darth Spock » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:46 pm

Not much personally, only that it's a spin off from spacebattles. I quickly lost interest in most high profile places like that, too much schoolyard grade versus match ups. "My guys have R12 offensive rating, warp time with their minds and can totally absorb energy from all attacks unless you use the special unobtanium crystals" kind of thing. Politically I wouldn't know either, aside from having an opinion on the odd topic in passing, I actively avoided politics up until about a year ago.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 pm

It's full of dangerous lunatics who belong in asylums and prisons.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:34 am

I'd joined up long ago, in part just to use the name "One" when I thought of it. The forum name, I heard at the time, was based on the SpaceBattles forum joke answer to "how many X to defeat Y? One, at sufficient velocity."

Thus, I signed up at Sufficient Velocity with the username One.

I decided early on not to be too much of a participant (especially given the fairly low Trek and Wars content), though I did throw a couple of posts here and there. Recently, however, I started participating a bit more. It didn't take long for one of the Talifan to come knocking, and, despite the forum claims of no tolerance for the usual SDN-style behavior, there was a small group of personal attack smeary folks to whom the mods turned a blind eye. It was *very* reminiscent of SpaceBattles . . . and the sad thing was, I wasn't even talking Trek vs. Wars. I was merely calling balls and strikes regarding the US and China's early coronavirus responses in a subforum dedicated to the purpose.

Alas, unbeknownst to me, the pro-China contingent there is dominant (which is a total reversal from the other SB offspring site The Sietch, where there's no such contingent, nor is there one at many of my traditional haunts where my few comments on China would've been extremely tame), so by calling any strikes against China I was an evil Trump-sucking liar or somesuch. And if this sounds a bit familiar, I can only say yeah, it does, 'cause that's kinda how the whole ST-v-SW.Net thing started in the first place.

Me: "Hi, alt.startrek.vs.starwars, I'm here to discuss the subject, too!"
Them: "DEATH TO THE INFIDEL!"

(I'm being a bit facetious there since, at least in that case, ​I came in critiquing Poe's site, but I don't really think, with that crowd, it would've mattered had I come in like Little Bo Peep.

"Doesn't this seem to suggest you suck at reading the room, dude?", you may ask. You're probably not wrong, but I'd say the problem is more that I just look around a bit at the arguments and fail to fully analyze the relationships in the community, instead just assuming that ideas are more important . . . silly me. )

So there was a little kerfuffle with an old SDN'er, though we didn't bring that up. It was just the old behaviors, though . . . "you're a liar!" . . . "no, here's why that's wrong, both factually and logically" . . . "stop lying!" . . . "oh FFS", et cetera. However, unlike the old days where I fed time vampires, I ended up blocking the guy.

Then a couple weeks later, some mod comes in and censures me, alone, as the badguy. I was done, then . . . it was just SpaceBattles 2.0. However, I've decided to run through their tribunal procedures, just to protest the BS. Maybe it'll help some other poor schmo who joins up there.

The main lesson for me so far is that, as always, the words of whatzisname from long ago on SDN ring as true as ever . . . "C'mon, doesn't anyone here speak Darkstar-ese?" For instance, after using an analogy about not telling someone the disease status of the "community bicycle" to explain some facet of dishonesty, one of their mods declared that I was impugning the SDNer's sexual proclivities . . . it was just hilariously ridiculous.

So what do I think of SV, or SV vs. SB? I'm sure there are differences, but, from where I sit, it is SSDD.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:37 pm

Heh . . . yeah, folks know it's like that. Pity I didn't see all this sooner, but I should've known better anyway. But for a relatively small number of reasonably-minded-but-dumb-enough-to-participate sorts of folks like many of you and some of my Twitter acquaintances, the vast majority of folks likely to be involved in this sort of thing are also absolutely not the ones you want administrating *anything*.

The "LOL you expected impartial enforcement?!?" thread:

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/t ... e-3.69200/

The "we don't really know what we're doing" thread:

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/t ... ion.65618/

The "I tried to become part of the enforcement team to make it suck less but ohmideargod" thread:

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/t ... ing.66280/

. . . et cetera, ad nauseam.