Spacebattles Alt Right Conspiracy?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Trinoya
Security Officer

Spacebattles Alt Right Conspiracy?

Post by Trinoya » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:10 pm

So... This appears to have happened over at Spacebattles.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads ... sb.768956/

Just...

Whoa.

Also there is a discord that has confirmed by a moderator (Qygibo) that yes, the messages are real.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Re: Spacebattles Alt Right Conspiracy?

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:42 am

I don't believe it for a second, given the people accused of being "alt right" are a bunch of fence sitting cowards. One of which claimed my merely expressing an opinion caused him and another moderator to have suicidal thoughts and my views are positively tame compared to say Oragahn who is closer to the Alt right than I ever could be.

Beyond that "General Tranny" is a violent, mentally unhinged animal, who deserves neither respect nor advocacy and if you knew half the shit we know about him you'd be mocking the guy into next Tuesday as well.

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense taken out of context...I've debated half the clowns that are supposedly alt right..and I've debated members of and leaders of the Alt right extensively and the two are in no way comparable.

SB is a leftwing shithole and even its conservatives are silly little rinos. This is just more dumb drama from the SV crowd.

Fuck 'em, don't give baby its bottle and ignore 'em.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 am

Hm. I haven't gone through the the whole thread, and I don't know the people involved as Admiral Breetai seems to, but I have to admit this has a lot of issues with it. For one thing the term "Alt Right" has been getting thrown around so much lately so as to have almost lost all meaning. I feel like an ancient villager hearing the cry of "wolf" almost everyday.
As for the evidence, the cropping on the screenshots is really weird, and toward the bottom a several of them, one with the biggest wall of text in particular, don't even zoom in to be readable. Then there's the extrapolation of death threats as well as some ridiculously over the top quote offered as proof of an Alt Right conspiracy, but with an addendum to "Ignore the sarcasm here" but it's still supposed to be taken as evidence?

Even at worst, it doesn't really look like a Neo-Nazi cell vying for power so much as a small nest of degenerates circle jerking. If there's any significant veracity to this, it's just as well it came to light, but otherwise it'll just end up in a pile with the rest of the calls to panic, which ironically will only make it easier for such people to operate as these reports get taken less and less seriously.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:41 am

Darth Spock wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 am
Hm. I haven't gone through the the whole thread, and I don't know the people involved as Admiral Breetai seems to, but I have to admit this has a lot of issues with it. For one thing the term "Alt Right" has been getting thrown around so much lately so as to have almost lost all meaning. I feel like an ancient villager hearing the cry of "wolf" almost everyday.
As for the evidence, the cropping on the screenshots is really weird, and toward the bottom a several of them, one with the biggest wall of text in particular, don't even zoom in to be readable. Then there's the extrapolation of death threats as well as some ridiculously over the top quote offered as proof of an Alt Right conspiracy, but with an addendum to "Ignore the sarcasm here" but it's still supposed to be taken as evidence?

Even at worst, it doesn't really look like a Neo-Nazi cell vying for power so much as a small nest of degenerates circle jerking. If there's any significant veracity to this, it's just as well it came to light, but otherwise it'll just end up in a pile with the rest of the calls to panic, which ironically will only make it easier for such people to operate as these reports get taken less and less seriously.
The part I find the most amusing is that Spacebattles is so far to the left that they've flirted with concepts like pedoacceptance and have openly cheered for white genocide and the destruction of the US. They're so far off the rails politically that nearly anything right of Lenin is going to seem like some kind of far right talking point to them. The only reason why Spacebattles has avoided taking a shitload of heat for their mental insanity is that Sufficient Velocity is a million times worse, to the point that one of the "victims" in that thread...Has been caught plotting to not only dox but create a website dedicated to destroying the lives of people who think differently from him...throw in grooming underage autistic people to transition and plotting to murder like legitimate...as in "here are diagrams of their homes" and the like...of people they disagree with.

SB basically gets ignored...But its almost as bad and this entire affair stinks of some crappy plot by some idiot to give SB's staff a pretext to crack down on anyone who isn't far left.

As far as doxing goes, several right wing users on SB have been doxed and their families threatened by the same people who are claiming they're doing that to them.

So I don't believe any of this. SB like SV is rotten to the core and both sides should be investigated for their ties to ANTIFA and other domestic terror groups.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:55 am

By the way if you check out NF, their vs forum has an entire thread dedicated to mocking the hell out of SB and there are plenty of examples of how pathetic and weak willed Spartan really is. Another decent piece of evidence to what I said about this likely being some convoluted ploy by idiots to get the SB staff to kill anything that isn't Marxist on the forum is that the thread is filled with people asking SB to let Sufficient Velocity mods to come in there and "investigate"

So its pretty clear what this is...and an Alt right conspiracy it is not.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:29 pm

I'm not familiar with NF forums?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Darth Spock wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:29 pm
I'm not familiar with NF forums?
It's the CBR or Spacebattles of fighting animes basically. Their equivalent of the vs section is the current "top dog" on the internet. imagine the influence SB had at its height times about twenty and that's NF now. That seems to be changing though, mostly because the same kind of crazy that's infesting SV and SB is infesting NF.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:08 pm

hah update: from what info I'm being given...It's exactly what I said it was.

A play by the wannabe Montoneros on SV to muscle in on SB. It's a total false flag

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Hm, yeah, I like the most recent post on there, very well written: LINK.

Of course, looking at it through a cynical right leaning lens, it does have a few points that could be potential red flags for the site in general.
Kensai @ Spacebattles wrote:My political beliefs place me on the left in European terms and make me a hard-left, stinking communist on the American spectrum.

SNIP

THERE IS NO RIGHT-WING CONSPIRACY AMONG THE STAFF OF SPACEBATTLES.

There are, in fact, more members of staff who identify as strongly left-wing or aggressively apolitical than there are political conservatives. Any concerted attempt to move the tone of SB's discussion to the right, or to suborn it for alt-right purposes, would be met with an extremely strong response.
"would be met with an extremely strong response" ....?
Kensai @ Spacebattles wrote:When the idea for the Conservative Mega-PM was mooted, several mods immediately expressed that they felt it was a bad idea, and outlined the foreseeable consequences quite clearly. There was a vigorous discussion about it and the final decision was to allow it to go ahead. We all know now in hindsight that we should have listened to them and shot the idea down. We owe them an apology, and I am particularly proud and pleased that these staff members, in this hour of crisis, have been at the forefront of our efforts to deal with the issue.

These same staff members would have been in charge of a Liberal Mega-PM if one had been started - but precisely because they had opposed the creation of the conservative version, they upheld that same reasoning and refused to support a similar initiative on the other side of the political spectrum. They were offered the opportunity but they turned it down, showing themselves both principled and wise.
This part sounds good at first blush, but then again if the general environment is already overwhelmingly left leaning, it stands to reason such individuals wouldn't feel the need for such a place if the entire forum already is that place.

That said, and stepping back from any assumptions, I don't get what exactly the point of that thing was supposed to be in the first place. It does actually sound like some kind of mindless echo chamber, then again I saw references to "ideological discussion coaching" which carries it's own creepy vibe.

As for NF and now CBR, you're talking to a stupid "normie" here, I still have no idea what you're talking about. Neither google nor duckduckgo can find them either with just acronyms.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:59 pm

NF = Naruto Forums.

CBR = Comic Book Resources.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Khas wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:59 pm
NF = Naruto Forums.

CBR = Comic Book Resources.
Ah, thanks, I'll give those a peruse later.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:29 am

Darth Spock wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:50 pm
Hm, yeah, I like the most recent post on there, very well written: LINK.

Of course, looking at it through a cynical right leaning lens, it does have a few points that could be potential red flags for the site in general.
Kensai @ Spacebattles wrote:My political beliefs place me on the left in European terms and make me a hard-left, stinking communist on the American spectrum.

SNIP

THERE IS NO RIGHT-WING CONSPIRACY AMONG THE STAFF OF SPACEBATTLES.

There are, in fact, more members of staff who identify as strongly left-wing or aggressively apolitical than there are political conservatives. Any concerted attempt to move the tone of SB's discussion to the right, or to suborn it for alt-right purposes, would be met with an extremely strong response.
"would be met with an extremely strong response" ....?
that is definately an odd word choice for a site that supposedly has right wing biased. "I hate anyone left of Stalin so much that we'd rise up and lynch anyone who tries to keep them from our brigading!"The staff seems more indignant that someone dared to associate them with the right..not even alt right but right in general.

Darth Spock wrote:
Kensai @ Spacebattles wrote:When the idea for the Conservative Mega-PM was mooted, several mods immediately expressed that they felt it was a bad idea, and outlined the foreseeable consequences quite clearly. There was a vigorous discussion about it and the final decision was to allow it to go ahead. We all know now in hindsight that we should have listened to them and shot the idea down. We owe them an apology, and I am particularly proud and pleased that these staff members, in this hour of crisis, have been at the forefront of our efforts to deal with the issue.

These same staff members would have been in charge of a Liberal Mega-PM if one had been started - but precisely because they had opposed the creation of the conservative version, they upheld that same reasoning and refused to support a similar initiative on the other side of the political spectrum. They were offered the opportunity but they turned it down, showing themselves both principled and wise.
This part sounds good at first blush, but then again if the general environment is already overwhelmingly left leaning, it stands to reason such individuals wouldn't feel the need for such a place if the entire forum already is that place.
Again one of the alleged victims routinely talks about murdering right wing posters, plots said murders out and worse offsite..So as you noted it is rather odd. I'd also like to point out, they're conflating conservative with Alt-right.
Darth Spock wrote:
That said, and stepping back from any assumptions, I don't get what exactly the point of that thing was supposed to be in the first place. It does actually sound like some kind of mindless echo chamber, then again I saw references to "ideological discussion coaching" which carries it's own creepy vibe.
Right? The implications of this thing...the reasoning behind it are rather nefarious in and of themselves.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:52 pm

Given it is a PM environment, the usual rules for flaming, trolling, and the like are not in full effect with regard to members in the mega-PMs. We recognize that PMs are an environment where people should be able to feel they can relax and be more casual than usual with other members, so that is being factored in, within reason.

For regular members, we will be looking for the following offenses:
- Serious threats to members and/or to Spacebattles itself
- Doxing
- Advocating deaths/rapes
- Hate speech: Things said that supersede the merely "controversial" that is permitted on SB proper
- Victimizing members
- Coordinating Brigading: Organizing for the purposes of "winning" a debate by weight of numbers rather than argumentation
- Coordinating appeals
- Coordinating reports: Includes filing "strategic", vindictive, or otherwise malicious, weaponized, or dishonest reports
- Coordinating to troll, bait, harass, or otherwise provoke a member outside the mega-PMs
- Mod-shopping: Seeking out Mods that will be likely to issue a lighter punishment, be unusually lenient without good reason, and the like.

For Staff members the standard is higher considering they were in charge of the original two mega-PMs that had Staff sanction. In that environment the Staff are expected to uphold the same level of conduct they would on SB proper.
However, they are still expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is not a detriment to their status as Mods in the context of a standard PM environment.
Staff are expected to lead by example, even if they may have leeway on minor things unlike in the sanctioned mega-PMs, within reason.

For Mods and SMods, we will be looking for the following offenses:
- Condoning the above behaviors. EDIT: To clarify, this includes negligence.
- Participating in the above behaviors.
- Coaching members on how to "win" appeals.
- Coaching members on how to rules lawyer, that is to evade the rules through technicality rather than honest desire to not violate the rules
- Coaching members on how to "win" specific debates as opposed to guidance on general debating techniques
- Provably "turning a blind eye" towards mega-PM members for reports or otherwise known offenses.
- Provably "going soft" on mega-PM members where similar consideration would not be applied to members not part of the mega-PMs.
How convenient

Seems like they're using this as an excuse to round up right leaning users for wrong think..Given 90% of the above is committed by leftist posters but they won't do a damn thing against them.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:53 am

Darth Spock wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 am
Eh, it wasn't even that.

The Mega PM was sort of just a shadow board. Multiple subjects came and went. And while politics and forum drama was definitely a large focus, it was also just a place where people went to hang out. There was one nutter who went off the deep end and talked about how he wanted to kill one of the mod staff. Said guy got reported by the people within the Mega PM and was booted off the forum entirely.

I think the greatest sin that was committed within the Mega PM was the fact that we were having fun and speaking our mind. That and laughing at the degenerate board members and mod staff. Like the weird gender swaps and the guy who cucked to his whore girlfriend, who brought another man in on their relationship. It was basically SB 10 years ago.

I forget the details, but it was a complete false flag. And even though various members of the Mega PM did not wish for various admins to go through their private messages, they came in anyway. Poor Spartan thought they'd give us a fair shake. I admit remembering being somewhat optimistic too. But I wasn't really all that surprised.

They banned me for--I think it was "We don't want you here anymore". Which was about as fair as most of the BS "dishonest debating" infractions they were handing out after 2016. I think the first time they handed that to me, it was because I refused to accept a CNN article as evidence because it only cited an anonymous source and lacked any evidence. But apparently, according to the asslicker mods, CNN is a legitimate source and I needed to post a counter-narrative.

But hey, apart from their one mod ignoring my appeal for a week, at least their infraction process was more bearable than SV, where retards pretend to be paralegals and judges on an internet forum.

Picard578
Padawan

Post by Picard578 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:49 am

When it comes to Spacebattles, I got permabanned for posting about how Left is promoting pedophilia. Lo and behold, 2020. came and so did "Cuties". The only reason why I regret not being on SpaceBattles anymore is that I will not be able to say "I told you so".