Comments on "Vaporizing a Small Town" page

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:46 am

Kane Starkiller wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:I can't agree, for the simple reason that there's large evidence that a very common way of (mis)using the term vaporize just measn dropping a nuclear like firepower on a town and erase it from the map, without literally vaporizing stuff.
It's like when you find a terran made expression in an EU book. You know that it's a wording that comes from Earth, and would have unlikely originated one any of Star Wars's worlds, or more precisely that it's an expression that rings a bell to us, inhabitants of Earth and its respective nations. It is made for us, by us, and thus must be understood from our context, even if it's applied, by necessary narrative rules, to fictions about worlds which are far far away.
Thusly, a quick glance at google will simply show that the expression "vaporize a town" has the same mechanism behind it as "crush an army".
We cannot determine the meaning of words by "googling" them. Vaporize has a specific meaning and it is to turn something into vapor. It doesn't matter how many ignorant people misuse it on how many web pages.
If you claim that author misused it and actually meant blowing down a town then show evidence. Otherwise you are breaking Occam's Razor.
By that argument, the scrolling text at the beginning of each SW movie is a real, physical object in SW. Arguing otherwise is a violation of Occam's razor (which isn't a law BTW).

At some point, you must take account that the person writing the book is human, and is prone to errors and exaggerations. Failure to do this means in just about any case you can spin the words into outlandish capabilities.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:20 am

The ominous armada of yellow letters continues its journey towards an unknown destination, oblivious to the events and outcomes that punctuate the life in Star Wars' galaxy.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Kane Starkiller » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:09 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I don't believe we can use Occam's Razor here, simply because there's too much ambiguity as to how we can interpret it, either in a hard scientific way, or in a common way.
There are no "common" and "scientific" ways. There is either correct or incorrect way. Correct is "to turn something into vapor". Incorrect is everything else. Do you have any evidence that narrator was incorrect?

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I don't challenge the literal meaning of the term. I challenge the idea that it's to be taken literally. It could just as much as it couldn't, and thus measn that being conservative puts his in a situation where we have to look at it from a moderate point of view.
So basically you are saying that we can take any word in the books and then interpret them however we want and that is conservative?
Narrator in the book has a similar role as camera in the films. So if you saw a weapon vaporizing an object would it be conservative to assume it was merely broken in half? No it wouldn't. It would be a misinterpretation of facts. You are saying that vaporize actually means 20psi overpressure or whatever without providing a shred of evidence. That is not being conservative, it is outright misinterpretation of facts.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I recon there's a difference, but you'll notice that he clearly does not make any explicitely detailed descriptions of the effects of turbolasers. He limits himself to the use of one word, while EU guides and all that, are rather talkative about what this or that does, when a detailed and scientific explanation is required.
So he uses one word so what? Do you have any evidence (from the canon material) that his usage of the word vaporize is incorrect? If not then vaporize means turn to vapor.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Basically, even if between the two lines, a layer of imagery is shed, it doesn't undermine the possibility that the author was using layman terms.
As I said, vaporize means turn to vapor for anyone. Anything else is a misuse. Do you have evidence the narrator misused the term?
Mr. Oragahn wrote:The hyperbole in interlocking ships, is precisely how it locks ships. Just to exagerate how the beams seem to tie ships together, and seen from far way, that would probably look like a web of energy beams.
But his description has more to do with some anime or Babylon 5 than Star Wars, unless I missed the part about how the whole battle opposed flying SPHA-Ts against mini Death Stars.
Or it could simply be swarms of turbolaser bolts being exchanged between two ships at a great distance which look like one shining line from great distance. You'll notice that Venators and Trade Federation ships look nothing like planetoids so again you are looking for accurate descriptions in a wrong place.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:But nevermind, let's get it to a very simple point; If we consider that he's using hyperbole, then you have to admit that he could largely be exagerating the effects of TL, and use the term vaporize like some would use the term slag, or crush, even if there's nothing of the short, or so little.

If he's not using hyperbole, thus it means that we're dealing with a strict metaphor, and so, a shiny hairline is a very luminous elongated bolt, that's so long and so constant that it seems to tie two ships one to the other.
Which is not what happens in the film, safe only once, and that's a trick, not the standard.
It would also mean that the term vaporize is meant to be used literally, but would be part of an overall description that is partially erroneous.

So basically, to avoid the inconsistency, the point would be to claim that the book describes a moment that largely precedes the film, at a point when the ships were indeed exchaning very luminous and very elongated beams of energy, much more similar to the shots seen in the background, during the duck hunt of Endor, where, at least, the bolts are very elongated, and though not particularily glaringly luminous, can still be seen from a large distance, which is not the case for the battle of Coruscant.
As I already explained you are presenting a false dilemma. A book is perfectly capable of having both hyperbole and accurate descriptions.
I already showed that there is a clear cut line between the first paragraph where he uses poetic imagery (hairlines, gnats etc.) and second in which he explains them. Gnats-starfighters, Planetoids-ships, hairlines-turbolasers.
Just like starfighters don't really look like gnats, ships don't look like planetoids turbolasers don't need to look like hairlines since this is a poetic description.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Please. The "absence of proof is not proof of absence" defense only goes so far as there's not an overwhelming amount of data pointing to the fact if such ranges existed, we would have seen them in action, at least during on film over six.
Eventually, he's talking about the absolute range, that is, before the bolt dissipates or whatever, but not about the firing range: the distance at which you can still properly aim at a target and hope to score a moderately good hit rate.
A range in lightminutes would mean, at least 36 million kilometers (roughly 1/4 of 1 AU).
Excuse me, but we have to call a cat a cat, and this is smelly BS. Makes me giggle.
Well then you won't mind providing evidence that such ranges are impossible. Basically you have nothing but your own incredulity to offer as evidence. That is not good enough.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I was just pointing out that inconsistencies happen, not trying to hammer so flawed generalization.
The problem is you haven't shown any inconsistencies, which is not the same as contradictions, other than saying basically "The battles we have seen so far are all at much closer ranges so I can't believe that they actually have range of light minutes" even though canon source states it.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:The ominous armada of yellow letters continues its journey towards an unknown destination, oblivious to the events and outcomes that punctuate the life in Star Wars' galaxy.
Are you saying you are incapable of differentiating between the yellow text which is still part of the opening and the actual film?
What about BBC documentaries in which we are shown a pride of lions on African plane but there is a voice of David Attenborough in the background narrating about their life habits. Is the documentary now flawed? Are there no useful informations to be obtained now since there is an "out of the Africa" voice being heard? We disregard the voice of Sir Attenborough and everything else is genuine Africa.
What about TV shows which are still writing the names of actors and directors on screen when the action already starts?
Is this episode of Voyager now suspect for inaccurate information because of the letters above Janeways head?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Kane Starkiller wrote:Is this episode of Voyager now suspect for inaccurate information because of the letters above Janeways head?
Of course not . . . she's obviously ducking. ;)

More later.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:30 pm

2046 wrote:
Kane Starkiller wrote:Is this episode of Voyager now suspect for inaccurate information because of the letters above Janeways head?
Of course not . . . she's obviously ducking. ;)

More later.
:D

That was very close!

I don't know if Starfleet has crew related protocols about such... nuisances.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:14 am

Quick reply for Kane - mostly because the longer one was erased and... I realized that I may be wasting my time (seriously, the yellow letter thing was a joke, geez).

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/vaporize

3 : to destroy by or as if by converting into vapor <a tank vaporized by a shell>

Or... <a city vaporized by a turbolaser bolt>.

Ok, that's cleared.

Ah, another note. "hiroshima vaporized" returns more entries than "hiroshima nuked" in Google.

As for the hairlines and such, I just have stretched myself well more than necessary about it.
I just can't do more if some don't see the vast discrepancy between "long and very luminous" and "short and faint".

Starship Captain

Wrapping up this charade

Post by 2046 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:29 am

Mange the Swe . . . er, I mean, Oragahn, and Kane of recent 'anonymous' fame on the blog seem to both be quite against my page.

Let's start from the top:

I. ST-v-SW.Net fulfills the promise of those who came before in the Vs. Debates, inasmuch as it actually represents an analysis of canon facts. Those who made the claim previously ignored (and redefined) canon at their whim.

I-A. Ergo, my range page is based on what the canon says, and there are numerous examples given of perilously short SW ranges. Nonetheless I generously grant fighter-scale vessels effective ranges of a handful of kilometers. Oragahn can consider the direct observations an absurd underestimate if so desired, but personal desire is irrelevant. The canon has spoken, and it is canon fact in which we are interested. If anything, I should reduce my conclusions to fall in line with the canon.

I-B. Similarly, we know a great deal about the construction of Docking Bay 94. It is not identified as one of the "low-grade concrete, stone, and plastoid" structures composing most of the town, nor does it give any evidence of having durasteel walls with coolant flowing within. The most that can be said is that it is a dirt pit. Yet Oragahn claims that this is all invalidated by the film.

If you wish to quibble with whether the raised area represents packed dirt or very low-grade concrete you are at liberty to do so, but remember that the wall section blasted by Han was of such flimsy material that a massive chunk of it shattered upon collision with a stormtrooper helmet, doing so without significantly accelerating said stormtrooper's head. This gives it all the density and structural integrity of a dirt clod, if not less.

I-C. Dealing with the canon also means we don't insert our own ideas into said canon. For instance, even Kane understands that "shining hairlines" = turbolaser bolts, as we're told, and does not try to suggest otherwise. Logic allows us to deduce that these are the bigger bolts, but that is increased precision, not re-understanding to something else entirely. And indeed, given that it is the bolts, plural, identified as being powerful enough to vaporize a small town, in keeping with the bolt exchanges that even Kane noted, it is entirely generous of us to grant that honor to single bolts.

II. Oragahn, the fact that you refer to your urban environment as a village is entirely irrelevant. Even a moment's research will show you that there is significant overlap between areas designated as towns, villages, and cities. An entertaining aspect of this is the claim for "Largest village in England", not to mention looking at various state regulations regarding the term "village". Also noteworthy are the traditional definitions of village contained here.

There's a note on one of those of villages with a population a full order of magnitude larger than nearby cities . . . implying a similar size differential.

Generally speaking, one prefers villages to be smaller than towns and towns to be smaller than cities as a matter of denotation. However, both denotation and connotation of the terms overlap. Therefore this is not something upon which to try to base an argument.

II-A. Anchorhead is canonically identified as a town. Mos Eisley is canonically identified as a town that is larger than Anchorhead. Ergo these are both towns, and it may even be rather polite for us to focus on Mos Eisley. It is, at least, practical, since we never see Anchorhead.

The fact that some existing Earth locations called villages might outmatch these towns constitutes an entertaining etymological note, but is otherwise of no importance.

III. The wide shot of Anchorhead is perfectly valid. There are only two ways in which you can try to assert that it is not:

III-A. First, you can claim that there are much taller buildings in Mos Eisley than we see directly in town, and that areas on the CGI wide shot that don't appear to have any construction on them at all actually represent the smaller buildings. There is no evidence for this position.

III-B. The only other possible place you can attempt to assert a contradiction is in regards to the visibility of the parking area where the transport vessel is later seen . . . yet despite the presence of a large field corresponding to the location along the road (given the visible two towers in the wide shot and the assumption that these are the same as seen near the transport), you reject that this area could possibly be the same, for no logical reason.

III-C. You are therefore attempting to reject the wide shot completely, which is bad policy. As a rule, one should try to keep as much data as possible. Even if we granted your position from III-B above, for instance, there is no reason to discard the entire wide shot . . . only to note an inaccuracy or similar issue.

By analogy, standard practice is to engage in line-item veto, whereas you're just trying to veto the whole thing and dissolve parliament, too.

IV. I have already explained how visibility of bolts from the ground would be enhanced given the black backdrop and lack of obscuring elements compared to the assorted non-black backdrops the space shots offer. However, Oragahn continues to resist. But what Oragahn further fails to realize is the contradiction of, on the one hand, denying that turbolaser bolts would be visible at all (on the grounds that some in a kilometers-distant battle were not), he simultaneously rejects the notion that only the largest ones would be. Yet it follows that the ones from the distant combat he notes . . . even seen as they are against the hues of the upper atmosphere . . . are not the largest.

V. Kane

V-A. Kane attempts to assert the following:
First of all I see that there is a link to Nuclear weapon FAQ in the Darkstar's article yet Darkstar uses simple geometric scaling which disregards atmospheric effects rather than using ready available empirical nuclear effect formulas.
In our case thermal radiation formula:
r=Y^0.41*r_const where r_const is 1.
Kane is dead wrong. I did not disregard the formula or atmospheric effects, as even a passing read ought to have made clear.

First, the above formula is one of three by which one can estimate the thermal, blast, and nuclear radiation effects of a nuclear weapon, calibrated to the production of 3rd degree burns, blast overpressure of 4.6psi at optimum burst height, and 500 rem radiation doses from the nuclear reactions. In other words, it is not an infinitely-applicable formula even when dealing with nukes.

Further, those are general approximations, even within the context of Sublette's write-up. Later, in a dedicated section, we're told:

"r_thermal_3rd = Y^0.41 * 0.67
Range is in km, yield is in kt; the equations are accurate to within 10% or so from 1 kt to 20 Mt."

So a 500 kiloton bomb by the general version comes out to 12.8km, whereas the more specific version gives us 8.6 kilometers. One could naturally argue that a handful of kilometers difference would be minor compared with the overall emotional impact of being around ten klicks from a nuke blast, but that's neither here nor there.

Kane then argues that intensity will be proportional to yield at a given distance, and thus affixes a multiplier onto the formula for human vaporization. In other words, in criticizing my so-called "simple geometric scaling which disregards atmospheric effects", Kane derives new figures by employing . . . simple geometric scaling which disregards atmospheric effects.

(And of course, he used my human vaporization figure that's some 50 times higher than what would cause flesh to flash into steam, in the usual given-an-inch-take-a-mile mentality of my opponents.)

Second, we're not dealing with nukes.

The gamma rays from the weapon's nuclear reactions (often produced via various isotope decays and neutron radiation) are the origin of the initial layer of "smog", formed by the ionization of the atmosphere around the bomb. As Sublette notes, "thus the apparent surface brightness at a distance, and the output power (total brightness) is not nearly as intense as the fourth-power law [i.e. "simple geometric scaling"] would indicate."

Given the temperature of a nuclear detonation, you won't get gamma rays except via the reactions. Assuming a turbolaser bolt detonation will feature similar temperatures, then, we are only talking about X-rays. Therefore, as we are not discussing nuclear weapons and their penetrating gamma radiation, it hardly seemed logical to rely on a calculation which relied on a nuclear weapons origin, as Kane's one-of-three formula does.

In other words, for the initial radiant pulse of the detonation, I have assumed no smog, which entails almost perfect energy transport through the atmosphere for the initial pulse. That still implies high-energy photons, but in the form of much-easier-for-any-high-energy-explosion-to-produce X-rays. At this stage, then, the turbolaser detonation is much more efficient at thermal effects than a nuclear weapon.

However, blast and thermal effects are what we are interested in. As Sublette notes:

"Thermal radiation and blast are inevitable consequences of the near instantaneous release of an immense amount of energy in a very small volume, and are thus characteristic to all nuclear weapons regardless of type or design details. The release of ionizing radiation, both at the instant of explosion and delayed radiation from fallout, is governed by the physics of the nuclear reactions involved and how the weapon is constructed, and is thus very dependent on both weapon type and design."

But yes, even blast can produce atmospheric opacity similar to the smog. As I noted on the page:

"And when the blast shockwave separates from the initial fireball, the atmosphere is so rapidly compressed and heated by the absurdly-fast shockwave that it ionizes and becomes incandescent. While extremely hot itself, this shockwave shell is opaque, and the far hotter interior is thus temporarily invisible. It is only when the shockfront cools to 3000 degrees or so that radiant energy from the interior starts to pass through it again."

In other words, the sheer violence of the blast does produce atmospheric opacity because the air ionizes itself, briefly shielding distant objects before the shock front cools and begins allowing direct thermal effects through again in a phenomenon called "breakaway". But observe my next sentences:

"For a 20-kiloton nuclear weapon this all happens quite quickly . . . the shockfront hits a 'mere' 3000 degrees while the shockwave is only 220 meters across, though its moving at a speed of multiple kilometers per second. Maximum thermal effects thus begin around 150 milliseconds into the event. But even a one-megaton bomb takes longer for this . . . almost a full second elapses. By this time the blast wave's shockfront has travelled at least a couple of kilometers, if not more, meaning that by the time of maximum thermal effect for even a single megaton bomb, most of Bastrop would've been blasted into debris."

The atmospheric opacity is a two-way street, meaning everything within the shockwave is exceptionally warm. (Sublette left it vague as to whether the entire interior constitutes the isothermal sphere (i.e. the uniformly ridiculous-hot area of radiative transport) or not at the time of breakaway, but even if the expanding isothermal sphere is not quite the same size even the remaining interior will be hella-warm.)

Hence my statement: "Within the dome of the shockfront would be a new form of hell as the remaining debris was exposed to the many thousands of degrees of the fireball and the superheated wind left in the passing of the shockwave."

A discerning reader would thus note that, given my conclusion of 1.5 megatons, the town has been blasted by default and then it gets cooked by the fireball. A discerning reader would also note that, despite my earlier statement wherein I noted that using Sublette's value would be inappropriate for a probably-lower-radiation non-nuke turbolaser bolt, I still used that same formula when calculating required blast radius in III-C . . . a deliberate move.

In other words, there is method to my madness.

V-B. Similarly, Kane rejects canon facts . . . e.g. flak bursts . . . and claims that only a ground-striking shot could occur, with all the energy apparently being released at the point of impact, arguing that objects on the ground will increase yield requirements based on the number of objects. This also represents a very poor understanding of what is involved.

Even assuming a ground strike, even a poorly-designed ground level blast event will more than take care of most obstructions at the ranges and yields we're talking about. Further, by the time the shock front has cooled to allow the second pulse of thermal radiation (longer-lasting and releasing more of the energy from the event than the initial pulse), the isothermal sphere behind it is still cooking at 8000 degrees, the superheated wind has not just stopped, and . . . given the size of the fireball, isothermal sphere, and shock front for a megaton-size bomb . . . we're still looking at thermal radiation from hundreds of meters and more in the air. And, of course, the breakaway of the shock front's cooling isn't even going to occur before the shock front is outside town anyway. In other words, there's going to be a superheated dome of suck where Mos Eisley used to be.

That's more than sufficient to take care of pesky hiding humans.

----------------------

I feel everything's pretty well covered with the above, though of course I expect responses. However, I won't be investing this much time on wrong-headedness again. So if you've got something you think is really good lemme know, but don't waste my time.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Kane Starkiller » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:45 pm

2046 wrote:Kane is dead wrong. I did not disregard the formula or atmospheric effects, as even a passing read ought to have made clear.
You mention atmospheric effects but you don't incorporate it into your calculations. Let me quote you:
Since we already know the desired amount of energy to throw at this .7m² target, all we have to do is work backward via the inverse square law to know the total energy of the turbolaser. Using S / 4r² = I (where S is the energy at the center of the expanding sphere and I is the intensity), or for our purposes S = I (4r²), let's ponder the data. The intensity at 3000 meters is 162MJ divided by .7m², or 231.4 MJ/m². The square of 3000 meters is 9,000,000 m². That figure times 4 equals 113,097,335.53, and we thus multiply this figure times 231.4 MJ to determine the energy at the center. That value is:

26,170,723,441.5 MJ
26,170,723.4 GJ
26,170.7 TJ
Why use simple geometric scaling when empirical formulas are readily available.

So a 500 kiloton bomb by the general version comes out to 12.8km, whereas the more specific version gives us 8.6 kilometers. One could naturally argue that a handful of kilometers difference would be minor compared with the overall emotional impact of being around ten klicks from a nuke blast, but that's neither here nor there.

Kane then argues that intensity will be proportional to yield at a given distance, and thus affixes a multiplier onto the formula for human vaporization. In other words, in criticizing my so-called "simple geometric scaling which disregards atmospheric effects", Kane derives new figures by employing . . . simple geometric scaling which disregards atmospheric effects.

Simple geometric scaling? I'm afraid you don't understand the mathemathics involved.
Let me see if I can clear it up for you:
Nuclear FAQ empirical formula:
r=Y^0.41 where Y is a multiplier of 2.5kt
My formula when accounting the fact that we need to vaporize a human:
r=(1/690*Y)^0.41
Your formula:
r=Y^0.5 where Y is yield in joules
Obviously my formula incorporates atmospheric effects (hence 0.41 exponent as opposed to your 0.5) not to mention Y that is a 2.5 kiloton multiplier. The only thing I change is the multiplier since, as you can read in the nuclear FAQ, the intensity at certain spot will be proportional to yield but THE ENTIRE THING STILL DROPS WITH ATMOSPHERIC EFFECTS ACCOUNTED FOR.
This has nothing to do with intensity drop off due to distance. Due to your larger exponent the right side of the equation will drop slower thus underestimating the required yield.

2046 wrote:(And of course, he used my human vaporization figure that's some 50 times higher than what would cause flesh to flash into steam, in the usual given-an-inch-take-a-mile mentality of my opponents.)
Give an inch take a mile Darkstar? How is using vaporization figures for vaporization take a mile? Your supposed generosity is nothing of the sort.
Flashing flesh to bone means nothing. Is it burning through stomach to reveal the spine or burning through forhead to reveal the skull? Not exactly same energy wouldn't you say.
It is especially jarring when we compare your "generosity" with Rise in which you take vaporize to mean vaporize and call that "I bent over backwards limit".
Could you do me a favor and apply some of your well known "Star Trek conservatism" to Star Wars? ;)
Second, we're not dealing with nukes.

The gamma rays from the weapon's nuclear reactions (often produced via various isotope decays and neutron radiation) are the origin of the initial layer of "smog", formed by the ionization of the atmosphere around the bomb. As Sublette notes, "thus the apparent surface brightness at a distance, and the output power (total brightness) is not nearly as intense as the fourth-power law [i.e. "simple geometric scaling"] would indicate."

Given the temperature of a nuclear detonation, you won't get gamma rays except via the reactions. Assuming a turbolaser bolt detonation will feature similar temperatures, then, we are only talking about X-rays. Therefore, as we are not discussing nuclear weapons and their penetrating gamma radiation, it hardly seemed logical to rely on a calculation which relied on a nuclear weapons origin, as Kane's one-of-three formula does.

In other words, for the initial radiant pulse of the detonation, I have assumed no smog, which entails almost perfect energy transport through the atmosphere for the initial pulse. That still implies high-energy photons, but in the form of much-easier-for-any-high-energy-explosion-to-produce X-rays. At this stage, then, the turbolaser detonation is much more efficient at thermal effects than a nuclear weapon.
Not quite:
Most of the energy being radiated is in the x-ray and far ultraviolet range to which air is not transparent. Even at the wavelengths of the near ultraviolet and visible light, the "smog" layer absorbs much of the energy.Then too, at this stage the fireball is only a few meters across. Thus the apparent surface brightness at a distance, and the output power (total brightness) is not nearly as intense as the fourth-power law would indicate.
As the author clearly states MOST of the energy is radiated in X-ray and FAR ultraviolet for which the AIR IS NOT TRANSPARENT thus the smog has no influence.
Only a smaller part of energy is transmitted through low ultraviolet and visible spectrum, which is to be expected from high energy events. This visible spectrum will be blocked by the smog which will make fireball appear LESS BRIGHT than what geometric scaling would predict. But brightness is not the same as intensity. Brightness only depends on visible spectrum since, obviously, that's all humans can see while intensity is total energy per unit of surface. So if 90% is in the form of X-Ray and 50% of visible rays are blocked the fireball will appear 50% less bright although it's intensity will still be 95% of the original.
The "smog" has nothing to do with 0.41 exponent which is here because the air is not transparent to high energy electromagnetic radiation.

2046 wrote:A discerning reader would thus note that, given my conclusion of 1.5 megatons, the town has been blasted by default and then it gets cooked by the fireball. A discerning reader would also note that, despite my earlier statement wherein I noted that using Sublette's value would be inappropriate for a probably-lower-radiation non-nuke turbolaser bolt, I still used that same formula when calculating required blast radius in III-C . . . a deliberate move.

In other words, there is method to my madness.
Blasted and cooked are not vaporized. A 1.5 megaton warhead would be able to vaporize a human at 950 meters ASSUMING there is nothing in the way. Towns could easily be bigger and there are much sturdier targets inside a town.
2046 wrote:V-B. Similarly, Kane rejects canon facts . . . e.g. flak bursts . . . and claims that only a ground-striking shot could occur, with all the energy apparently being released at the point of impact, arguing that objects on the ground will increase yield requirements based on the number of objects. This also represents a very poor understanding of what is involved.
I saw no evidence for turbolaser being settable to "flak". Much simpler explanation is that they simply hit asteroids to small to be seen in TESB or asteroid chase in AOTC or various ship debris during battle.
2046 wrote:Even assuming a ground strike, even a poorly-designed ground level blast event will more than take care of most obstructions at the ranges and yields we're talking about. Further, by the time the shock front has cooled to allow the second pulse of thermal radiation (longer-lasting and releasing more of the energy from the event than the initial pulse), the isothermal sphere behind it is still cooking at 8000 degrees, the superheated wind has not just stopped, and . . . given the size of the fireball, isothermal sphere, and shock front for a megaton-size bomb . . . we're still looking at thermal radiation from hundreds of meters and more in the air. And, of course, the breakaway of the shock front's cooling isn't even going to occur before the shock front is outside town anyway. In other words, there's going to be a superheated dome of suck where Mos Eisley used to be.

That's more than sufficient to take care of pesky hiding humans.
First of all maximum thermal radiation will precede any air blast so if you want to vaporize a town you simply need enough thermal radiation. Secondly how will the radiation come from hundreds of meters in the air if there was a ground burst? The radiation expands from center of impact with only miniscule reflected energy radiating from the "top" of the fireball.

2046 wrote:I feel everything's pretty well covered with the above, though of course I expect responses. However, I won't be investing this much time on wrong-headedness again. So if you've got something you think is really good lemme know, but don't waste my time.
Frankly the article doesn't provide any useful information at all. The "small town" itself is a vague wording that precludes any kind of precise "1.5 megaton" conclusion but at best a very wide range of numbers.
You claim turbolasers have "flak" capability when simple collision with space asteroids and debris is far simpler explanation.
You deny the atmospheric effects and think you can somehow "cheat" the line of sight by claiming that somehow significant radiation will come from the "top" of the fireball when it rises a few hundred meters.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Re: Wrapping up this charade

Post by l33telboi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:54 pm

2046 wrote:Mange the Swe . . . er, I mean, Oragahn
I don't think so.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:06 pm

2046 wrote:Mange the Swe . . . er, I mean, Oragahn...
Ah, already getting personnal. You just can't help.
And Mange the Swede?
I'm certain the real Swede would laugh his ass off about that one, especially regarding the lenghty disagreements we had on the canon issue on the now extinct Strek forums.
It's just funny how depending on who I disagree with, I'll either be a rabid Trekkie or badmouthed SD.net denizen.
The truth is that it is largely unnecessary. Especially here.

I. What claim?

IA. Due to the speed of bolts, ships executing evasive manoeuvers will force spitting ranges. However, a ship flying in a straight line in front of your guns is like a sitting duck.
A sense of honesty would require the formulation of explanation as to why the Falcon's effective range was apparently so limited, and why Han couldn't simply take pot shots at a ship flying merely 100 m in front of his, encompassing the target in a barrage of quick and lethal bolts. It's not like it takes a hundred hits to take down a TIE for pet's sake! At best, 3 to 6.
That's a point you refuse to adress, because it's just more easier and sneaky to sit on a rather absurd range of 100 m... while you just know that it is absurd.

The Falcon is an old ship that barely holds together, needs to be smacked to function, and Han tried to shoot down a target while flying in the Alderaan field, which would screw sensors.
The turret motors could have problems to align theri firing arc in front of the ship, etc.

But I know what you're going to say on that, so don't bother, let's just disagree.

IB. It is invalided by the film. The books says that docking bays are gouge pits, by definition vulgar dirt holes, primitive looking excavations. The film shows nothing of the sort.
As far as a film docking bay is concerned, It shows a patio looking area, with man made structures built around, both made of metal and dirt.
The ground surface itself shows no cavity whatsoever, and appears, on the contrary, particularily flat. It's dusty, as expected on a world where sand storms are frequent and where I doubt there are much people willing to brush each docking bay 24/24.

You're a funny lad. You talk about gouge pit, and the second later, you precisely admit the existence of a man made vertical wall.

Besides, there is no reason to doubt the book on the durasteel part, because there's no apparent contradiction, since the dual layers are inside walls, thus there's little chance to disprove their existence by looking at the film.

IC. "shining hairlines" = turbolaser bolts, in the book.
"Shining hairlines" are non existent in the film. As simple as that. So the equation doesn't work anymore.
So either the book refers to a moment that precedes the film, when those shiny hairlines could be seen, and then your firepower claims stand, and incidentally, we pretty much have to acknowledge the precharged weapons idea, unless you have a better idea to propose.
Or the book is simply dead wrong on that part, and thus your logic about how this must all be about the heavier TLs is faulty. Then, the only reason why we would assume that the book was refering to heavier turbolasers bolts (completely ignoring, at that point, the inconsistent "shiny hairline" bit), is simply because we are aiming at a conservative estimation.
A low end.

II. What you're point out is that just basically, everybody disagrees on the definition and scope of villages, towns and cities.
Therefore there's no point arguing on this and trying to form an argument, since no one has the same definition of even a low standard for each type of somehow urban agglomeration.

IIA. What's the size of Anchorhead?
We don't know. Therefore, you use Mos Eisley. And you make area estimations based on an erroneous shot, the wide angle one.

IIIA. You still get it wrong. I say that in town shots show the existence of other tall buildings, not far from the two sister towers, yet they're no where to be seen on the wide shot.
Contradiction.

IIIB. There's no such a wide area where it should be. You're free to precisely point it out if you wish, to prove me wrong. Thus far, you stand corrected.

IIIC. I reject is because it does not match the in town shots.
Cherry picking from an ensemble that's largely identified out of scale and incorrect is not the way it goes.
As far as it should be done, it would seem that the very original matte painting shot of Mos Eisley is the only right one, since it assumes such a wide town that the taller structures (which were added since the SE) can't be seen (of course).
That's a bit of a gymnastic, but better than trying to shoehorn a shot that is full of glaring flaws, and decide that it's reliable for your size estimations. However, rules of canon would tell us that we can't do that.
Therfore, if you can't use the orignal shot, then you're just left with a contradiction, and you can't do what you did, that is, take measurements in town, and apply them to that inconsistent and disagreeing wide angle shot.
It's a dilemna that has nothing false at all. It's either the in town shots, or the wide angle. But if you use the wide angle one, there's no way to decide what is the size of the tallest structures seen when you zoom in.

IV. That blackdrop enhancement argument is bullshit. You just have to look at the film to get plenty of shots stacked upon blackdrop, and there's no way we can honestly claim that what we see is anything that would ressemble shiny hairlines that interlock spaceships whatsoever.

I do not reject the idea that, in theory, the heavier turbolaser would probably be the only one your average Joe could spot from the surface.

What I reject is the idea that heavier turbolaser shots we barely see while "standing" a very few meters away from capital ships, could be visible from the surface, and even more, interpretated as shiny hairlines that interlock the largest spaceships.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Kane Starkiller » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:As for the hairlines and such, I just have stretched myself well more than necessary about it.
I just can't do more if some don't see the vast discrepancy between "long and very luminous" and "short and faint".
There is also a vast discrepancy between gnats and drive glows of starfighters. There is a vast discrepancy between planetoids and Venator or Trade Federation battleships. I really don't understand why do you concern yourself so much about poetic descriptions of the first paragraph not matching perfectly the actual situation.

I also already gave a possible solution as to why "beings" were able to see the battle: other species with more acute eyesight or vision aid. I cannot understand why breaking SoD with claims that book is contradictory is preferable to this solution which is hardly unreasonable.

As for Tatooine size nothing can be derived from that wide shot. No buildings can be recognized and we have no way of knowing how tall the buildings are. Not to mention that town could easily extend off into the distance which would be lost due to perspective.
Celebration scenes from ROTJ certainly don't point to a 1.5km wide town or less than 25 meter tall buildings:

This also clearly demonstrates the unrealistic assumption that any kind of thermal radiation will reach through 750 meters unimpeded and that we can derive any kind of estimate based on it.

And really the notion that size of one town on one planet somehow gives one reliable information on what a "small town" might be is ridiculous. As I said before the best we can get from "vaporizing a small town" is a very wide range of yields which can shoot up to 250 Gigatons or more as I've already shown.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Kane Starkiller wrote:There is also a vast discrepancy between gnats and drive glows of starfighters.
There is a vast discrepancy between planetoids and Venator or Trade Federation battleships.
Not much. "Gnat" and "planetoid" are terms which evocate sizes, and when applied to fighters vs capital ships, it perfectly fits.
However, shiny refers to an important level of luminosity, and hairlines that interlock capital ships clearly refers to particularily lenghty elements, none of which applies.
I really don't understand why do you concern yourself so much about poetic descriptions of the first paragraph not matching perfectly the actual situation.
Because RSA uses this poetic description as the fundamental reason why this must refer to the heavier turbolasers.

Because of the contradiction, the only reason left as to why one would assume that the turbolasers mentionned by the author, refer to the heavier turbolasers, is because we should try to work out a low end. No more. No less.

Besides, it carries a significant meaning.

Once again, since there is a contradiction between the book's description and the film's depiction, visually speaking.

So if you still want to pretend that somehow, there is no contradiction, there are a very few solutions here.

First, you can claim that the book is only talking about the beams like the one shot from a Venator's hangar bay, but they're an exception, so this doesn't float. There's like, one instance against thousands and thousands of faint and small bolts.

The other solution is to consider that the book refers to a moment in the battle which would significantly preceed the film's sequence, and thus, one explanation as to why the capital ships don't shoot the luminous super elongated bolts mentionned by the book, is because the cannons can't fire them anymore.

And then enters theories as to why they're reduced to firing low yield bolts.

Therefore enters the theory of precharged cannons, and as I was showing RSA earlier on, it's not a stretch. A good example was the Slave-I nose cannons' power cells being dry because Boba had just ignited the engines, adn so the batteries didn't get enough juice.

If you don't try to rationalize the contradiction, then you must admit that the estimation of the caliber of the turbolasers is only assumed, because of a noble motivation to obtain a low end.
Ergo, since the metaphor is bollocks, the only reason why we should consider these are the heavier turbolasers is because we want a low end, not a medium end nor a high end.
I also already gave a possible solution as to why "beings" were able to see the battle: other species with more acute eyesight or vision aid. I cannot understand why breaking SoD with claims that book is contradictory is preferable to this solution which is hardly unreasonable.
The problem is not there. Even if there were such individuals, with superior eyesight or binoculars, this is irrelevant to the contradiction I'm pointing.
As for Tatooine size nothing can be derived from that wide shot. No buildings can be recognized and we have no way of knowing how tall the buildings are. Not to mention that town could easily extend off into the distance which would be lost due to perspective.
Celebration scenes from ROTJ certainly don't point to a 1.5km wide town or less than 25 meter tall buildings:

This also clearly demonstrates the unrealistic assumption that any kind of thermal radiation will reach through 750 meters unimpeded and that we can derive any kind of estimate based on it.
Just a shame that the city's been entirely mirrored within 3-4 years.

As a side note, Mos Espa is vastly bigger than Mos Eisley.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Kane Starkiller » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:28 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Not much. "Gnat" and "planetoid" are terms which evocate sizes, and when applied to fighters vs capital ships, it perfectly fits.
However, shiny refers to an important level of luminosity, and hairlines that interlock capital ships clearly refers to particularily lenghty elements, none of which applies.
Shiny as a shiny penny? There is no quantifiable level of luminosity to be derived from a purely subjective and vague term like shiny. The same is with elongated. Turbolasers, based on their width to length ration, can certainly be described as elongated. Of course "elongated" just like "shiny" is a vague, subjective descriptor and I don't see any basis of declaring that turbolasers seen in the battle don't fit that description as vague as it is.
Furthermore I already mentioned that interlocked might simply be a swarm of turbolasers exchanged between two ships which seem to connect them.
Even your claim that planetoid and Venator class are more similar than "shinly hairlines" and observed turbolasers is purely subjective.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Because RSA uses this poetic description as the fundamental reason why this must refer to the heavier turbolasers.
You can see more about my views on that point in the former posts.
Well obviously he is wrong. There is no useful information to be derived from "shiny hairlines" about the nature of the weapons. He claims that they must be heaviest to be visible but even they won't be visible to the naked human eye so that's not the explanation.

Mr. Oraghan wrote:The probme is not there. Even if there were such individuals, with superior eyesight or binoculars, this is irrelevant to the contradiction I'm pointing.
Well the "beings" not being able to see the battle was one of your points for book contradicting the book IIRC. Regardless I have shown that this is not the only explanation which I think you can agree is certainly preferable than declaring a book contradictory which should always be the last resort under SoD.
The second point of contradiction, you claim, is that turbolasers aren't really "shiny hairlines interlocking planetoids". But since this itself is a completely vague subjective description it is hardly any surprise that it doesn't fit the actual observed events entirely. No reason to declare contradiction.

In the final analysis even if there are no contradictions (since first paragraph is metaphorical anyway) doesn't make Darkstar any more right.
He uses purely vague and subjective imagery to construct arguments about turbolaser type which is utterly flawed.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Just a shame that the city's been entirely mirrored within 3-4 years.
Hey why should only Star Trek get to reuse old matte paintings. :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:56 am

Kane Starkiller wrote:Shiny as a shiny penny? There is no quantifiable level of luminosity to be derived from a purely subjective and vague term like shiny. The same is with elongated. Turbolasers, based on their width to length ration, can certainly be described as elongated. Of course "elongated" just like "shiny" is a vague, subjective descriptor and I don't see any basis of declaring that turbolasers seen in the battle don't fit that description as vague as it is.
Furthermore I already mentioned that interlocked might simply be a swarm of turbolasers exchanged between two ships which seem to connect them.
We disagree on that.
Especially on the interlocking part. There's just no way you can honestly claim that the short bolts, o matter if they come from light, medium or heavy TLs, fill the screen and stretch enough to look like they were bridging ships.
It's not because one uses a metaphor that it is necessarily correct.
Even your claim that planetoid and Venator class are more similar than "shinly hairlines" and observed turbolasers is purely subjective.
It is not a good argument you have presented here. A metaphor is supposed to precisely strongly relate to the subject it refers to, without being a proper description of what it is.
When you use a metaphor, it is at least supposed to make sense.

A planetoid is an asteroid which can range from less than a mile, to many hundred miles. Needless to say that less than a mile is more than enough to described certain capital ships, especially since some of them were clearly longer or larger than that.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Because RSA uses this poetic description as the fundamental reason why this must refer to the heavier turbolasers.
You can see more about my views on that point in the former posts.
Well obviously he is wrong. There is no useful information to be derived from "shiny hairlines" about the nature of the weapons. He claims that they must be heaviest to be visible but even they won't be visible to the naked human eye so that's not the explanation.
But as I've been repeating on and on, and seriously, I wonder why I really had to do so, when a simple look at the film is all you need, even the heavier turbolasers couldn't be seen by people on the surface, if they had unassisted human sight.
From the moment they used binoculars or whatelse, then they're ought to see everything, even the bolts fired by starfighters.

You know what's most amusing? If we really go by your and RSA's interpretation of shiny and elongated, that is, anything that emits a certain amount of light (which is very low in our case), and that is elongated without stretching over meters and meters, then, when you look at the canon, the film, you see that the starfighters' bolts are just as shiny and elongated as the rest.

On that basis, if you use the author's text, there is just even less evidence to claim that he was only talking about the heavier turbolasers.
Mr. Oraghan wrote:The probme is not there. Even if there were such individuals, with superior eyesight or binoculars, this is irrelevant to the contradiction I'm pointing.
Well the "beings" not being able to see the battle was one of your points for book contradicting the book IIRC. Regardless I have shown that this is not the only explanation which I think you can agree is certainly preferable than declaring a book contradictory which should always be the last resort under SoD.
You don't get my point.

No matter if they use super googles or whatever, my argument was what they would see would not look shiny and elongated at all, enough to stretch between starships.
And a couple bolts exchanged at the rates seen in the film does not fit at all with the idea that they're concentrated or long enough to look as interlocking the ships.
I'm baffled I have to insist on that. It's not even a stretch of the imagination. Just how one can pretend that by looking at the film, the bolts do seem to interlock ships? Really?

The only one that does that is the beam from the hangar.
The second point of contradiction, you claim, is that turbolasers aren't really "shiny hairlines interlocking planetoids". But since this itself is a completely vague subjective description it is hardly any surprise that it doesn't fit the actual observed events entirely. No reason to declare contradiction.
Excuse me, but the metaphor is supposed to make sense.
When the average Joe will point to any faint random TL bolt, because they're all like that anyway, so it won't be hard, and say that bolt is shiny, I'll laugh.
When this same guy will point at the same bolt that's barely as wide, or twice the lenght of a starfighter, and will claim that this is an elongated thing (stream/beam/bolt/whatever) that interlocks capital ships fighting over many kilometers, once again, I'll laugh.

I made my point clear, I don't expect to convince you anyway, so I'll leave it at that.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Kane Starkiller » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:59 pm

Well I don't think we'll convince each other but one thing I had to point out:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:You know what's most amusing? If we really go by your and RSA's interpretation of shiny and elongated, that is, anything that emits a certain amount of light (which is very low in our case), and that is elongated without stretching over meters and meters, then, when you look at the canon, the film, you see that the starfighters' bolts are just as shiny and elongated as the rest.
Exactly! That is the whole problem with vague and subjective terms. People can declare just about anything to be "shiny" and "elongated". Shiny polished car. Elongated car. Elongated finger. Whatever.
This is why your attempts to assign certain strict properties to "shiny hairlines" are futile.