StarDestroyer.Net becomes 5 years old

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Batman
Padawan

Post by Batman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote: That would mean, that this person has written in this two fora in less than 2535 days over 52187 posts.
If he would have needed 10 minutes for each post (including reading, what was written before and then writting his posts and waiting for an answer ...)
which is preposterously high given that as long as the posts are in the same thread, all he has to read are the posts that happened since his last post,
he would have spend 521'870 minutes in these 2535 days in front of his computer. That are circa 8'700 hours.
2535 days are 60840 hours. That would mean, that this Admiral Valdemar spend from each day at least three hours in front of his computer only for these two fora.
And we all know that people NOT obsessed with their hobby never spend
that much time on it. I mean, nobody ever watches 3 hours of TV a day, right?
And those 3 hours are DEFINITELY spent in front of the computer doing nothing else, as opposed to having SDN open and doing something parallel. Like, you know, a job. And that's assuming that 3 hour figure is even relevant.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:48 am

Batman wrote:And we all know that people NOT obsessed with their hobby never spend
And those 3 hours are DEFINITELY spent in front of the computer doing nothing else, as opposed to having SDN open and doing something parallel. Like, you know, a job. And that's assuming that 3 hour figure is even relevant.
I just spent close to three hours watching television - for a change - and I'll say that three hours of television a day is probably not too healthy. Although, granted, it is apparently average, and I'm seeing similar (if not necessarily as credible as BLS studies) figures for internet use.

However, spending three hours a day on one particular website would be rather unusual, and my experience is that ten minutes per post made is not a bad figure for a regular user with no moderator or administrator hats to wear, provided the user usually doesn't write long posts.

I don't spend three hours every day on SFJ; in fact, I usually only spend that much time dealing with SFJ-related material in a day when I'm working on articles. I think "obsessed with their hobby" is something that W.I.L.G.A. is concerned with a little.

Lord Relvenous
Welcome the new member!

Post by Lord Relvenous » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:49 pm

[quote="Jedi Master Spock]However, spending three hours a day on one particular website would be rather unusual [/quote]

If there is constantly updating debates that you can look in on every twenty minutes or so during breaks in work, having that website open for three hours or more is not unusual.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:19 pm

Lord Relvenous wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:However, spending three hours a day on one particular website would be rather unusual
If there is constantly updating debates that you can look in on every twenty minutes or so during breaks in work, having that website open for three hours or more is not unusual.
This wouldn't be three hours of having the website open, actually; this would be three hours of activity (reading and posting) on that website, by W.I.L.G.A's guess (which I happen to think typical from experience; some forums log active time).

WolfRitter
Padawan

Post by WolfRitter » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Batman wrote: And we all know that people NOT obsessed with their hobby never spend
Well it's not like they have more subforums with things other than SW vs ST or Sci-fi, unlike the great SFJ, oh wait...