Ships of the Star Fleet

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.

Starship Captain

Re: Ships of the Star Fleet

Post by 2046 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:03 am

Why's he gotta be hatin' on the New Orleans class claiming no torpedo launchers? That's ridiculous.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:34 am

That makes no sense for the New Orleans-class to not have any photon torpedo launchers. It's a tech that is basic to Earth starship designs since at least the 2150s and to other Federation members for perhaps centuries. Hell, even runabouts can have torpedo launchers.

If any Federation starship class had no torpedo launchers, I'd figure it'd be a little research ship like the Oberth-class.
-Mike

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:29 am

Indeed, the Oberth, the little ship that cou-... err.. nevermind.

^__^

Srsly though, a lot of good work went into it, cool stuff even if I disagree with parts of it.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Yeah, it's just a well made fan approximation of some never described classes, and new inventions...

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:29 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:That makes no sense for the New Orleans-class to not have any photon torpedo launchers. It's a tech that is basic to Earth starship designs since at least the 2150s and to other Federation members for perhaps centuries. Hell, even runabouts can have torpedo launchers.

If any Federation starship class had no torpedo launchers, I'd figure it'd be a little research ship like the Oberth-class.
-Mike
Since torpedo launchers are used to launch probes every Federation ship should have at least one photon torpedo launcher.

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:02 am

Damn Paramount canon policy. I wish something like this was canon.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:That makes no sense for the New Orleans-class to not have any photon torpedo launchers. It's a tech that is basic to Earth starship designs since at least the 2150s and to other Federation members for perhaps centuries. Hell, even runabouts can have torpedo launchers.

-Mike
Since torpedo launchers are used to launch probes every Federation ship should have at least one photon torpedo launcher.
The amount of redshirts should define the number of launch tubes.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:37 am

-Mike
Lucky wrote: Since torpedo launchers are used to launch probes every Federation ship should have at least one photon torpedo launcher.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: The amount of redshirts should define the number of launch tubes.
By TNG firing torpedos seem to be fairly automated to the point of the only person seeming to be involved is on the bridge as I recall.

I would think crew complement only matters if your ship is armed with Vulcan cannons.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:01 am

Only a few thousand ships in the fleet? Seriously? According to this guy elements of 3-4 fleets composes over half the ship Starfleet has. Out of ten fleets. Well, perhaps the ship stats might be good, so I'll have to check on them later, but he does has some errors he needs to round out.