The Lost Cause

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

The Lost Cause

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 10, 2007 9:13 pm

Breathe.
Click.
Read.
Breathe.

Now, this time, they're wondering if a Star Destroyer could withstand a moon-buster...

Yes.
You know... coz' there may be chances... erm, that it could, actually, withstand a moon-buster.
It's a bit normal to have doubts, as it's uncertain...
I-I mean, yes, it kinda makes sense, right... err... thoughts?

After all, the Executor only needs minutes to blast a Moon-sized planetoid in its entirety, and since Star Destroyers can survive in dense battles for hours and hours...

If you make the total...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 10, 2007 11:50 pm

These poor souls obviously have no clue about how difficult it would be for a star destroyer to destroy even a mere 20-km asteroidal moon in the NJO "Vector Prime" book. And by destroyed, the moon was to be fragmented into chunks that could still threaten the planet the moon was being made to crash down onto.

I did get a kick however at how some people were making fun of how silly and over-inflated the Wars firepower claims are becoming. ;-)
-Mike

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri May 11, 2007 12:43 am

Yes, saw that thread. I would've posted the moon thingy, but i'm a bit banned from the vs. section at the moment, so no dice.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri May 11, 2007 1:31 am

Gee, why am I not suprised given who mods that area? ;-)
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 11, 2007 1:34 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:These poor souls obviously have no clue about how difficult it would be for a star destroyer to destroy even a mere 20-km asteroidal moon in the NJO "Vector Prime" book. And by destroyed, the moon was to be fragmented into chunks that could still threaten the planet the moon was being made to crash down onto.

I did get a kick however at how some people were making fun of how silly and over-inflated the Wars firepower claims are becoming. ;-)
-Mike
Yes, but I also notice how they have to put the necessary j/k in.

Lately, I was searching for some evidence at Spacebattles about those mysterious calcs the Warsies were afraid to show, which were proving the existence of a firepower largely above the low gigaton range.
I found some thread where a guy posted around 10 links to other threads, so this was quite a ballad, and I felt in the archives.
What I saw wasn't pretty. A guy was unfortunate to get sarcastic on the Wars yields, and he got all the mobs and mods on his ass.

One member was even saying that E1701 was absurdly minimalist.
I'll try to find that thread again.

Hey, l33tboi, what happened?

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri May 11, 2007 1:44 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Gee, why am I not suprised given who mods that area? ;-)
-Mike
Nah, i suppose i deserved it. Got a little hot in a completly unrelated thread and flamed someone a bit excessively. It's basically just a slap on the wrist, a 3 day vs ban, nothing that major.

There is this one thread that i'd very much to participate in though, kills me that i can't.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 11, 2007 1:48 am

Stay positive. I suppose the ban was for good reasons.
Makes the wait only better! :)

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm not familiar with the universe of the moon-buster. But when only 12% of SDN voters think it would take a single vessel larger than an ISD to defeat the entire Federation including Starfleet and all significant planets (link), the notion that they would begin comparing an ISD to world-vaporizers is unsurprising.

(Incidentally, I saw someone using "DET" in there. I have to say, I do enjoy the etymological notoriety of having apparently introduced "DET" into the debates. Though I was not the first to coin it by any means, the phrase and acronym certainly filled a niche amongst debaters.)

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:57 pm

While I was looking at SB.com after checking to see if anything had actually happened in that thread, I happened across this new sticky for the SB.com VS section, posted by their current VS moderator.

... it only lists a Clone Wars order of battle. Disappointing, considering the title.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:28 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:While I was looking at SB.com after checking to see if anything had actually happened in that thread, I happened across this new sticky for the SB.com VS section, posted by their current VS moderator.

... it only lists a Clone Wars order of battle. Disappointing, considering the title.
It can, I suppose, be used to list OOB for space battles, not ground battles only.

There are many universes which should add their own takes on it, and many battles to be found within one universe for example.
Star Wars is to be expected anyway. But you could count the film SST, the Necromongers from COR, and those are minor cases. Trek and B5 are probably there with typical deployment sections for space occupation or conquest I imagine. There are tons of Warhammer 40K cases to bring there, Starcraft stuff, Halo, plus many other SF books to mention as well. Honor Harrington.
You can eventually add in Terminator, even maybe the Matrix, etc.