Star Wars blogs going down

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Star Wars blogs going down

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed May 16, 2012 12:43 am

Some of you may have been notified, but the user-posted blogs on StarWars.com (which you might recall as playing host to some dramatic episodes, such as the Talifan bit) will be going down in about a week. If you want to save anything that you found on there - or document any of the old posts that you like to point to - now's the time.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Star Wars blogs going down

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed May 16, 2012 2:04 am

Thanks for the heads up on that, JMS. The only documentation of what happened regarding Wayne Poe and the whole "Talifan" incident should not be lost. Which means I'll have to work to get copies for the relevent Database articles covering that as well.
-Mike

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Wed May 16, 2012 4:22 am

I would recommend screen shots. In case the accusation were made that the text was altered, it could be proven otherwise.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed May 16, 2012 4:45 am

hey, this might be a good time for a 'greatest hits' type thing! i'd love to have a look at anything anyone wants to point out!

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 am

also, will the relevant pages, like the 'talifan' thing, be added to the database? that might raise interest.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed May 16, 2012 8:33 am

The article is already there, just type in "talifan". Mostly what I'm trying to save is Dark Moose's blog describing Wayne Poe's conduct on StarWars.com with regards to Karen Traviss.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon May 21, 2012 6:48 pm

For the archiving, there's a variety of tools. You can "print" pages by using PDF creators installed as printers, you can have some PDF this tools from the browser, or website which will produce PDFs for you by giving them the URL. You can screen cap the pages, and perhaps it's possible, although time consuming and not always clean, to use website rippers.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed May 23, 2012 2:40 am

Last chance! They're going down tonight!

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed May 23, 2012 2:46 am

is anybody on this?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:57 pm

I never got a chance to do anything with it.

However, all is not lost:

http://web.archive.org/web/201107161327 ... m/holocron

I don't think links to individual posts are working (or else the one I tried had been removed at some point), but the above is an example of getting to the blog of a particular user (in the above case, Leland Chee).

Internet Archive FTW.

Note, however, that the Archive is only up until July of 2011 . . . but I'm not aware of anything important happening after that. If there is something, Google may still have things cached for the next couple of days, too.

As for page saving, I wouldn't worry about getting all crazy with it. There is some program that makes screenshots that are considered courtroom-evidence-grade via some awesome technique or other (referenced way back when on Groklaw but I never could find it when I looked a few months back), but for the most part any basic screenshot or even .pdf is theoretically editable by a determined person with the right tools.

Probably the most difficult forgery would be something basic like a close camera snapshot of a CRT monitor, since getting the pixels looking right along with the editing of the text would be a challenge.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Surely, if you're aiming for court-grade evidence quality, you'll need better than that.
Basically, anything electronic can be edited. So you need to do what you described, that is, emulate a human witness, looking at a screen, and therefore providing a modicum of robustness to the evidence while you browse through the website.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri May 25, 2012 4:11 am

i just want to be able to read anything interesting...

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 am

ST-v-SW.Net

CanonWars.com

NoLettersHome.info

Mike's recipe for Cajun Mojo (which, besides being a joke in poor taste, also would be a good band name).

Anything written by our lovely and talented host.

But yeah, court-grade is rather extreme for this. It is one thing for foes to try to lie with misleading screenshots in a debate, but reasonable people would be less likely to accept. Rabid denials of the truthfulness of the Wayback Machine regarding just some particular fanboy's blog post.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:06 am

On the topic of page-saving:

http://www.freezepage.com

Nowhereman10
Bridge Officer

Post by Nowhereman10 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Nice one there. I'll have to remember that!