Brian Young's new website is up!

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Brian Young's new website is up!

Post by Praeothmin » Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Brian states that accelerations in ST are slower than in SW...
Is he right?
I've tried to find accel figures for ST on the main site but did not find many, and of those I found, many were indeed slow...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon May 28, 2012 10:46 pm

What main site are you refering to? Brian's or SFJN's? There's tons of sublight Trek accelerations that meet or beat Wars hands down. Just here on forum, look up RSA's analysis of the Kumeh maneuver from TNG's "Peak Performance" and the acceleration figures for the E-1701's 1.8 hour run from Earth to Jupiter in ST:TMP, or the E-D's chasing the Borg cube from Saturn to Earth in "Best of Both Worlds, Part 2". For small ship acceleration and deceleration, remember Titan's Run from "Chain of Command, part 2" and the Kolvoord Starburst from TNG's "First Duty".
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 29, 2012 12:10 pm

I was referring to his site...
How fast did the Klingon BoP leave the planet's surface in ST IV?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue May 29, 2012 7:23 pm

They didn't do a sublight acceleration for very long, just a warp speed jump and then from there they went to go do the slingshot maneuver around the Sun for time travel.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue May 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Or Did you perhaps mean when the zipped across 600 nautical miles to get to the whales before the whaling ship did? That's actually rather impressive given they stayed in the densest part of the Earth's atmosphere the whole time:

KIRK: Yes, of course. ...The whales, any contact?

UHURA: Negative, sir.

McCOY: You, ah... You present the appearance of a man with a problem.
SPOCK: Your perception is correct, Doctor. In order to return us to the exact moment at which we left the twenty-third century, I have used our journey back through time as a reference, calculating the coefficient of elapsed time in relation to the acceleration curve.

McCOY: Naturally. So what's your problem?

SPOCK:Acceleration is no longer a constant.

McCOY: Well, then you're gonna have to take your best shot.

SPOCK: Best shot?

McCOY: Guess, Spock. Your best guess.

SPOCK: Guessing is not in my nature, Doctor.

McCOY: Well, ...nobody's perfect.

GILLIAN: That's it. That's it!

UHURA: Affirmative. Contact with the whales.

KIRK: Bearing!

UHURA: Bearing three two seven, range six hundred nautical.

KIRK: Put them on screen!

GILLIAN: How can you do that?

UHURA: On screen! ...Admiral, I have a signal closing in on the whales. Bearing three two eight degrees.

KIRK: Let's see it.

McCOY: What kind of ship is that?

GILLIAN: A whaling ship, Doctor. Are we too late?

KIRK: Full power descent, Mister Sulu.

SULU: Aye sir. Full power descent.

(the whaler, having spotted the whales, loads a harpoon and prepares to fire)

SULU: Ten seconds, sir!

(when one of the whales surfaces the harpoon is fired but it drops into ocean after a metallic clunk. The Bird-of-Prey decloaks causing the whaler to veer off)

KIRK: All right Scotty, it's up to you.

The clip of the scene here. It takes them barely 3.5 minutes to find and then get to the whales, having to accelerated across 600 nm and then decelerate and power dive down and come to a low hover position over the whaling ship. 600 nm is roughly 1,110 km. That means the BoP went from a search pattern to accelerating to decelerating in approximately 2 minutes. All inside the densest part of Earth's atmosphere. That's 5 km/sec average speed.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 am

Praeothmin wrote:I was referring to his site...
How fast did the Klingon BoP leave the planet's surface in ST IV?
Do you mean this scene?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8zhZOZz ... re=related

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed May 30, 2012 6:03 am

Lucky wrote:
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:http://www.scifights.net/SciFights.net/Welcome.html

Interesting move, to use video instead of text, but he really presents some insightful arguments.

I'd recommend that you watch his videos on ICS's, even if you are the most rabid Trekkie alive.
They feel like he is at times just rambling at times, and hasn't taken the time to research or properly organize the data.

Why go off on a tangent about robots that has nothing to do with Star Wars in a video about Storm Trooper armor? He certainly wasn't talking about any of the droids I saw in Star Wars.
Why assume the Doomsday Machine's particle beam was not extremely powerful because it was an anti-matter beam? The Doomsday Machine was eating planets in a matter of days at most. That would require a powerful beam to cut those planets into nice bite size peaces.
How would the beam being antimatter help it cut up planets any faster?(this doesn't quiet sound right)
Why assume a Phased ion cannon in Star Trek is the same weapon as is used in Star Wars? They don't seem to do the same thing.

Why is there no armor from Deep Space 9 episodes in the video about body armor?
_____
Given this statement over at ASVS
Brian-Young http://forums.asvs.org/showthread.php/2178-Episode-II-Incredible-Cross-Sections-How-were-the-numbers-derived/page2 wrote:Again, sorry if that sounds short. It took 30 minutes to type that. Another reason to do video.
I have to think he doesn't care about doing a good job with his videos. If he doesn't want to put even a half an hours work into his hobby he shouldn't be doing it.
I put a half hour to days worth of work into single posts often because I want the information to be correct, and want things done right.

Smurf, I've put about an hour into this post at least.
mojo wrote:HOW SLOW DO YOU TYPE?
It mostly depends on:
How easily I can organize my thoughts.

How easily I can gather the information. I've spent days just trying to find one little peace of information.

How tired I am at the time.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Properly-researched responses can take ages for me. Sure, some stuff I can just toss off, but if I want to be certain of something I have to look it up. I'm getting better about not keeping all this nonsense "in my brain's RAM", as it were, but I keep enough there to have the right general sense of things.

But see, to me, making a video would be even more time-consuming. First I'd want to basically type out the basic gist of what I want . . . kind of a narrative outline. But even if we skipped that, I'd still have to do the video and then cut it and upload it and blah-blah-blah, which seems far more time-consuming to me than a typing fest with research in the midst of it.

Basically what I'm saying is that Brian Young could do better with Dragon Naturally Speaking or some similar speech-to-text setup. But, it works for him 'cause he's going for the video thing anyway, and his research of at least Trek stuff doesn't appear to take a lot of his time, so it's all good either way.
Last edited by 2046 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:14 pm

So what is your plan?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:17 pm

I have a plan? When did this start? ;-)

Actually, truth be told, the day after I first watched a couple of his videos I was on the road for a couple of hours and recorded parody bits.

But . . . and here we come back to the whole bit of having to cut things and whatnot . . . I haven't ever gone back to put the pieces together. Or even find the banjo bumper music.

(Edit: And that's just audio!)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:39 pm

It's actually plain enough, good for podcasts to download.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:04 am

Does Brian provide bibliographies for his videos?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:28 pm

I don't think that Brian puts up a bibliography in the sense that you seem to be implying, but in a number of the videos he does provide some movie and episode names for some of his evidence. You just have to listen carefully for them.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:45 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:I don't think that Brian puts up a bibliography in the sense that you seem to be implying, but in a number of the videos he does provide some movie and episode names for some of his evidence. You just have to listen carefully for them.
-Mike
And having to dig through a ten or more minute video for two or three words is a pain in the smurf.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:01 am

You guys still hate him?

http://www.scifights.net/TDiC.mov

Probably not after this.