Brian Young's new website is up!

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Re: Brian Young's new website is up!

Post by 2046 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Just for grins I decided to do some more quick and dirty math using this screen cap found here. The distance from Yavin Prime and it's Y4 moon cannot be accurately determined, but we can with photometrics get a rough idea. Assuming 70 mm film, Y4 subtends 13.15 mm or 5.32 to 1 in ratio. Assuming Y4 is 12,750 km wide, that would 5.32 x 12,750 = 67,830 km distance from the relatively stationary camera. Unfortunately for Brian Young, this means that since he claims Red and Gold squadrons are passing by Yavin Prime, the gas giant cannot be Jovian-sized, and is likely in the size range I calculated earlier using the EU comparison drawing. His conclusions are inescapable in a pig's eye.
-Mike
That is some excellent work you've done in this thread . . . I think I'd noticed before that the Yavin moon seemed rather large in the shot, but it never occurred to me to go buck-nuts like you have done in the post above and the prior post it references.

The Yavin gas "giant" was a mere 50-55,000 kilometers in size. Who knew?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat May 05, 2012 3:36 am

Thanks for the compliment, but I assume you verified the numbers, and assumptions behind them, yes?
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 05, 2012 1:50 pm

2046 wrote:An extremely general review:

1. I hate videos and podcasts. Nothing angers me more than if I'm trying to look something up and the info I want is embedded in some video or podcast that takes ages to search through to get the tidbit I need. That's where text rules, not to mention that text puts you out there readily quotable.

Making a video-based site to appeal to modern audiences, as he suggests, is probably a really awesome thing to do from a marketing perspective, and there's a chance that sort of thing could go viral or something and make him famous. But I'll still hate it.
Until we obtain a tool which can scan the audio and video separately and can, from the audio, "read" and therefore help find some words, this kind of support is irritating. Nothing really beats text as far as scholastic work is concerned.
Besides which, given #3 and now this (both the sort of thing SWST's been on about of late), I'm led to wonder if SWST is in fact Brian Young. Next time I read one of SWST's posts I'm going to set it to banjo music and see if it fits.
I was thinking the same thing.
There is that mix of intelligence, stubbornness and irremediable level of embarrassing idiocy. He knows how to put up a modest website in some old fashioned way, he's sufficiently good at using tools, but then there's a huge disconnect. Literally, the Blind Faith incarnate, where deep, solid and critical reasoning fades away.
Oh my god, "too close to the system" means, he says, they're outside the system, and "they're already talking about bombing the planet" means it was within range. But we can see the bloody planet when they emerge from hyperspace!
Isn't the point being that they emerged too close to the planet?
I think what they really planned to do was to either send forces to attack the planet, or approach it from the asteroid belt and start shooting from there.
But their grandiose arrival right in high orbit of the planet made their approach rather obvious. Apparently the plan had been to be mad stealthy, but Ozzel wanted to make a big surprise... and yet failed to come close enough as to really surprise the rebels.
The way Ozzel's method unfolded has always been a source of speculation about his rebel sympathies, trying his best to make everything fail. :)
Good lord, man. See, this is another reason why I don't like videos. Surely if he was actually writing this for a webpage he would've found it necessary to research it, but if you can just spout off on the topic in a convincing-sounding manner you've made a 'good' video. It's kinda like the speeches of a politician, really, and just as empty and disingenuous.
The tone of the sophist is a great advantage that is indeed hard to translate to text.
The voice is indeed a sort of power, although you could make an equally superficial video arguing for the exact opposite point, with the same voice, and realize that there's nothing special to it.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat May 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Besides which, given #3 and now this (both the sort of thing SWST's been on about of late), I'm led to wonder if SWST is in fact Brian Young. Next time I read one of SWST's posts I'm going to set it to banjo music and see if it fits.
I was thinking the same thing.
There is that mix of intelligence, stubbornness and irremediable level of embarrassing idiocy. He knows how to put up a modest website in some old fashioned way, he's sufficiently good at using tools, but then there's a huge disconnect. Literally, the Blind Faith incarnate, where deep, solid and critical reasoning fades away.
No, SWST is not Young. I've talked to Young on both ASVS and Facebook. Their posting styles are nothing alike.

However, setting SWST's posts to banjo music is always fitting.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Sat May 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Chances of SWST and Brian Young being the same guy are about the same as for him being Wong or Saxton in disguise, which is to say, minuscule. He's clearly influenced by them, but that's all his quoting or alluding to their work can reasonably be taken to indicate.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun May 06, 2012 6:00 am

Having debated with Brian in the past and participated on Brian's old forum, I don't believe that Brian and SWST are one in the same. Brian at least admits that Star Trek powers, such as the United Federation of Planets, do equip their troops with armor and weapons, and warp strafing is a real potential tactic against sublight enemies. though he does stop short of giving full and proper credit to ST technologies. SWST would never ever give even that much to Trek. But we'll see. If SWST were Brian, Mike Wong, or Wayne in an anon "disguise", they'd really have to be dumbing themselves down, and given the egos involved, I'd hardly believe they'd hide behind an anon name.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:27 am

I was being facetiously insulting to Brian there, comparing him to SWST and getting another banjo rip in at the same time. I thought it was brilliant, myself, but oh well.

Note: me declaring something of mine brilliant is automatically facetious

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun May 06, 2012 9:01 pm

The review is finally up and after making a few tweaks is all good to go, so check it out. Oh, a reminder that this is not the first time we've trounced on some of Brian's more recent attempts to push his brand of dishonesty through the Versus debates. Just check out this roasting from a couple years ago!
-Mike

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat May 12, 2012 4:57 am

Praeothmin wrote:And again, he perpetuates the "Arrow to the back of the neck/bodyglove" fallacy, while his HD video clearly shows it protruding from the backpack part of the trooper's armor... :)
You mean this scene?

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat May 12, 2012 5:00 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Having debated with Brian in the past and participated on Brian's old forum, I don't believe that Brian and SWST are one in the same. Brian at least admits that Star Trek powers, such as the United Federation of Planets, do equip their troops with armor and weapons, and warp strafing is a real potential tactic against sublight enemies. though he does stop short of giving full and proper credit to ST technologies. SWST would never ever give even that much to Trek. But we'll see. If SWST were Brian, Mike Wong, or Wayne in an anon "disguise", they'd really have to be dumbing themselves down, and given the egos involved, I'd hardly believe they'd hide behind an anon name.
-Mike
Brian doesn't use aliases or sock puppets. Srsly, putting him the same category as Wong or Poe is ridiculous. How many of his videos have you guys actually watched?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat May 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Tyralak wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:And again, he perpetuates the "Arrow to the back of the neck/bodyglove" fallacy, while his HD video clearly shows it protruding from the backpack part of the trooper's armor... :)
You mean this scene?

The first one shows no arrow in front of the pack, quite the opposite. But Tyralak, these and other objections were dealt with in RSA's Stormtrooper armor objection page here:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWtrooparrow1a.html

Look at his third and biggest zoom-in pic. The arrow shaft is very clearly not in front of the pack, but going through it. I don't know what that dark bit is, a shadow being cast due to the lighting or a smudge, but it is not an arrow shaft.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Holy crap. It has been years since I saw someone try to pull that garbage.

I guess updating with the old HD caps I made showing the same stuff but even better needs to be on the to-do list

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Look at it that way, Tyr. When there's matter for someone to be suspected of possibly using sockpuppets, especially when they could be thought to be behind known troublesome people such as SWST, it already tells a lot about the guy, even if the accusation is largely unfounded in the end. Clean people wouldn't even be the target of such suspicions.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sun May 13, 2012 1:10 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Look at it that way, Tyr. When there's matter for someone to be suspected of possibly using sockpuppets, especially when they could be thought to be behind known troublesome people such as SWST, it already tells a lot about the guy, even if the accusation is largely unfounded in the end. Clean people wouldn't even be the target of such suspicions.
Guilty until proven innocent then? Honestly, I'm disgusted at some of the personal comments I've seen directed toward him here. Mocking his accent and appearance, accusing him of dishonesty and lying, then accusing him of being SWST. It's quite obvious you don't know the guy. You're transposing the personalities of the company he used to keep on him. He's not Wong, Poe or Dice. Hell, he doesn't even associate with them anymore.
I'm all for relentless personal attacks. On people who DESERVE them. Those of you who have known me long enough know how big of a prick I can be. There were two reasons I sent the Usenet create request for alt.startrek.vs.starwars back in 1997. One was because I wanted to argue for the superiority of Trek over Wars, and 2. because I was an angry 20 year old who wanted to take out his aggression on strangers. Also, I wasn't particularly welcome anymore at RASSM and alt.startrek. Whether you agree or disagree with his conclusions, Brian doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sun May 13, 2012 4:05 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Look at it that way, Tyr. When there's matter for someone to be suspected of possibly using sockpuppets, especially when they could be thought to be behind known troublesome people such as SWST, it already tells a lot about the guy, even if the accusation is largely unfounded in the end. Clean people wouldn't even be the target of such suspicions.
I have to concure with Tyalak. An accusation tells us nothing but what the accuser either believes or wishes others to believe. Young may or may not be guilty of the various "charges" laid against him, and in the interest of honesty I must admit I do think he is at least for chosing his evidence he wishes to present to make his case, but the mere act of those charges or their number does not weigh the scales in and of themselves towards guilty.