Brian Young's new website is up!

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Re: Brian Young's new website is up!

Post by 2046 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:31 am

Tyralak, Brian and I exchanged a few emails circa 2005 and while he was nice enough (a bit snooty, but nice), that doesn't mean that he is magically absolved of all sins relating to those he has historically chosen to associate with, nor does it mean that when he puts himself on video he is magically going to avoid comments on his presentation in that medium. As for me, I had only fond memories of him from that exchange (at least until the recent reread), and figured he was the type to accept good-natured ribbing. Southerners hear that all the time, so perhaps you don't understand the context. I imagine you might also feign such offense if you had never heard a yo-mama joke.

Far more offensive to you should be my retorts to his claims, but I will say that if I misread him and he is genuinely upset by the banjo jokes then I apologize.

I understand that you want to defend him and thus put yourself in the peculiar position of being a self-described ass telling others to be nice, but it looks kinda silly from here. About as silly as his Saxton defense, actually.

Nice or not, he has waded back in to a debate poorly armed but hoping for prominence using a unique style of presentation. He thus exposes himself to criticism in regards to both fact and presentation style. And while I would prefer if folks here didn't make unflattering comments on his appearance as you have said was done, I can guaran-damn-tee that anything said here was mild compared to what would be said if, say, Mike or I made videos, not because of relative beauty but because of who we are.

So really, I guess what I am saying is that perhaps you should take your peculiar y'all-are-so-mean thing and stuff it. Hit me back when you make such spirited defenses of other, more- and more-unfairly-maligned parties, such as the enemies of SDN.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun May 13, 2012 4:45 am

First off, chill out folks.

Tyrlak, most people here have actually taken the view that SWST is not Brian. They clearly have differing styles and I have said myself that I don't believe it's him, unless he's pulling a very elaborate prank. As for dishonesty, Sonofccn states it pretty well, Brian is a cherry picker. I'll also reiterate here, Brian is accused of dishonesty by myself and other precisely because of that, if not to others than he's being dishonest to himself by coming to a foregone conclusion and then trying to grab up the "facts" to prove it as the right one. So yeah, he's not as bad as Poe or Wong, but in the past he associated closely with them and that past association is going to continue to mar perception of him, especially when it is clear and away obvious that Brian continues to practice many of the old bad habits. Again look at the evidence brought up by myself and others. This thread from a couple years ago:

"Brian Young's Stargate Atlantis Analysis"

More recently:

"A Review of Brian Young's Minbari vs Federation Video"

And remember there's a pattern of behavior here that stretches back to smoke filled email groups as detailed here.

That's a huge body of evidence against Brian. If we were just talking about isolated areas of disagreement, which happens here on SFJN amongst most folks, with the exception of SWST and KSW, this wouldn't be an issue. Oh Brian and Saxton never thought to use photometrics to determine how far Red and Gold squadron were from Yavin IV and thus derive Yavin Prime's actual size from it. That's a failure of imagination on their side, but continuing to make the same tired old debunked excuses for why they picked ludicrous power generation and firepower numbers while at the same time failing to apply the same standards to other sci-fi fanchises is dishonest. No two ways about it.

Look back carefully at the criticisms and the counter evidence presented, and you can see why people are calling bullshit on most of his videos.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun May 13, 2012 11:32 am

Tyralak wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:And again, he perpetuates the "Arrow to the back of the neck/bodyglove" fallacy, while his HD video clearly shows it protruding from the backpack part of the trooper's armor... :)
You mean this scene?

Yes, that scene, as Mike so nicely showed you...
When you look at the scene in HD, the complete scene, not just the two images you've provided, pay close attention to the 1:39 mark, where the trooper who was hit by th arrow falls face first on the ground...
The arrow leaves no indication it is in front of the backpack, showing us it penetrated the armor...
We've even had that very debate at ASVS, Enigma and I, and I had showed him two images indicating the difference in armor between a Stormtrooper and a Scouttrooper were the coverage area, not the armor thickness...
I agree the SWST comparisons were unfounded, I found them ridiculous, but didn't take them seriously as it was clear to me Brian couldn't possibly be SWST, as he does give some credit to ST, so I thought everyone making the comparison were also joking, and mainly referred to the cherry picking...
Because, Ty, I have to agree with everyone else: He does cherry pick...
Whether he does it voluntarily or involuntarily is up for debate...

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:49 am

On further reflection, I was thinking that perhaps I was too hard on Tyralak, and by extension Young. But then I checked YouTube and saw where Brian talks about just seeing latter Voyager seasons for the first time (so yes, he was stuck in the 90s), and therein he refers to Janeway as Katherine Hepburn and comments on the actress playing Torres as being not as attractive without the Klingon makeup.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's talking about voice and looks, isn't it? Is that not precisely what Tyralak feigned righteous indignation about? Double-standards, much?

Just sayin'.

And talking about Trek tech without having seen 20% of it that we know of (how about DS9 or ENT? ... could be 66%!!) is just awful, even if you are the best analyst around.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Tue May 15, 2012 5:11 am

I can't even count the number of times someone has sat back and debated trek with me only to tell me that "oh, yeah, I never watched Ent/DS9/Voy/TNG/TOS/Movie X"

It gets really old and speaks volumes about the position from which they were operating from.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Wed May 16, 2012 4:34 am

Well, to clarify, this is where I'm coming from. Brian has been a personal friend for over a decade, even though we were/are on opposite sides of the debate. (That can happen, you know) What I was specifically objecting to was the attacks on his character, not his ideas, opinions or methods. No, I don't agree with him all the time. However, I do feel that he's an honest, decent individual. He's moderated his viewpoint over the years, and after breaking off association with Wong and Poe, he's decided to take a fresh look at the shows and movies. He isn't too interested in forums, and he doesn't really participate in them much. He doesn't even go to SDN anymore. (Amazing how they turned on him after he endorsed warp strafing and the fact that he agrees TDiC happened exactly as we know it did.) However, him and I are working on a joint venture, and we decided to have a section set up just for discussions of his videos at ASVS. http://forums.asvs.org/forumdisplay.php ... sion-Forum
For every video, there will be a corresponding thread for discussion. If you really want to debate him and get a response, I'd recommend posting your arguments there.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed May 16, 2012 8:43 am

Just as well I could and do make him the offer of coming over here to SFJN and debate us evil Trekkie "fanatics" here.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed May 16, 2012 9:27 am

Tyralak wrote:Well, to clarify, this is where I'm coming from. Brian has been a personal friend for over a decade, even though we were/are on opposite sides of the debate. (That can happen, you know) What I was specifically objecting to was the attacks on his character, not his ideas, opinions or methods. No, I don't agree with him all the time. However, I do feel that he's an honest, decent individual. He's moderated his viewpoint over the years, and after breaking off association with Wong and Poe, he's decided to take a fresh look at the shows and movies. He isn't too interested in forums, and he doesn't really participate in them much. He doesn't even go to SDN anymore. (Amazing how they turned on him after he endorsed warp strafing and the fact that he agrees TDiC happened exactly as we know it did.) However, him and I are working on a joint venture, and we decided to have a section set up just for discussions of his videos at ASVS. http://forums.asvs.org/forumdisplay.php ... sion-Forum
For every video, there will be a corresponding thread for discussion. If you really want to debate him and get a response, I'd recommend posting your arguments there.
Oh, eventually, if only to send him some "remarks" about his work. I do have an ASVS account so why not? That said, I'll probably merely copy and paste what I said there. I don't even know if I'd bother to remove the random flowery language. I'm only hoping some of my fairly simple points about the difference between montage and real time won't require extra pages of debate.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed May 16, 2012 1:26 pm

I say, for anyone wanting to disagree with him, go over to ASVS...
You may use any flowery language you wish there, with or without arguments... :)
Also, you'll be exposed to opposing opinions, which is always good, atleast far better than having JasonB pollute this board with his incoherent drivel...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed May 16, 2012 4:47 pm

And I'm still wondering why is Jasonb suddenly showing up here after about 2 years to "pollute this board with his incoherent drivel", and then so soon after SWST and KSW were banished. It's just such a remarkable coincidence.
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu May 17, 2012 3:01 am

maybe it's just my recent, totally unwarranted super-long ban talking, but jasonb doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong. he's just not very intelligent. like, on a 'special bus' level, but still. is it wrong to be dumb?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 17, 2012 3:53 am

I don't see a lot of sympathy for you and your "totally unwarranted super-long ban" here. As for the other issue; no there's no actual rule or anything that prohibits anyone who's mentally challenged from being here. If you'll kindly note, that despite some people's reactions to Jasonb's return, no action by either myself, nor Trinoya have been taken. Of course there's the other issue, the one I have speculated on several times here, what if it turns out that Jasonb is not a real person, but a sock puppet or an A.I. of some sort? I've just been rather a bit amazed at the strange coincidence of KSW and SWST going bye-bye and then out of the blue... Jasonb returns after two frackin' years! Why?
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu May 17, 2012 7:33 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:I don't see a lot of sympathy for you and your "totally unwarranted super-long ban" here. As for the other issue; no there's no actual rule or anything that prohibits anyone who's mentally challenged from being here. If you'll kindly note, that despite some people's reactions to Jasonb's return, no action by either myself, nor Trinoya have been taken. Of course there's the other issue, the one I have speculated on several times here, what if it turns out that Jasonb is not a real person, but a sock puppet or an A.I. of some sort? I've just been rather a bit amazed at the strange coincidence of KSW and SWST going bye-bye and then out of the blue... Jasonb returns after two frackin' years! Why?
-Mike
THIS you respond to. hey, there are about 5 billion questions waiting for you over in the user warnings thread. do you think you might address them at some point, ideally before i die of old age?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 17, 2012 8:21 am

I'm responding more to the Jasonb question than anything else. The rest already answered so unless you have anything new to add in that thread, I'm not going to waste my time. KSW and SWST are finally gone. Time to let it all go and move on.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:36 am

Trinoya wrote:I can't even count the number of times someone has sat back and debated trek with me only to tell me that "oh, yeah, I never watched Ent/DS9/Voy/TNG/TOS/Movie X"

It gets really old and speaks volumes about the position from which they were operating from.
Well, you can be a regular joe and comment based on only catching 33% of something, just based on your general sense from what you saw, and being open with that caveat.

But to claim expert status based on 33% is just not proper.

If I wanted to make an SW tech website right now but had only seen, just to use off-the-cuff made-up values, the 15 hours of the trilogies and the TCW movie but not the other 35 hours of TCW, my own sense of shame would require me to sit down and watch them first. But then, none of the big pro-Wars luminaries seem to have any notion of that kind of intellectual honesty, which is, of course, why they fail.

They approach it as a debate and so only care to watch the enemy for weakness, and if some ally watched it and they don't have to they think they're all good. They just want magic bullet examples to use against the enemy, in other words, and consistency is irrelevant (and for them, impossible, since they haven't seen the rest and don't care to).

So much for honesty.