Brian Young's new website is up!

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Brian Young's new website is up!

Post by Khas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:24 pm

He acknowledges TDiC, and says we should take what happened in that episode at face value.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Lucky, as I said before, my time at home is very limited, so my highest presence online is at my work, between customer calls and E-mails (I work Tech Support, so if no customer calls or e-mails us, I have nothing to do)...
see my above post, mr. i-have-nothing-better-to-do.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
sonofccn wrote: As to the wider context I would have to disagree wholly. The debate, as in who would win, is far from settled here as is the full parameters of each respective universe. Of hand for instance I believe Mr. DiCenso, yourself and I each hold a slightly different opinion on Federation ship's firepower. As well you and I both argue, I believe, that in an all out war between the two of them the Galactic Empire would prevail against the Federation while Trinoya, IIRC, argued for a stalemate. And then there are the likes of Picard and Lucky who would likely find a GE victory laughable. We're a diverse lot is I guess what I'm struggling towards, far more than I'd argued you see on StarDestroyer.net.
Mith and I were on the side that the GE can't do much against Trek, either the galaxy or only the UFP or another main faction. We spent quite some time highlighting criticial economical issues, other major problems in logistics or the command structure, the problem of maps, the question of acquisition of knowledge from both sides, how the GE never eradicated the rebellion as swiftly as it wished, etc.
The stalemate is quite obvious imho. The GE is a giant house of cards, it can even be toppled with more ease if a major Trek faction grows ties to the rebellion, plus gains access to hyperdrive tech and maps, which are all over the place, etc. On the other hand, the GE may fall, but its remaining "mass" cannot be beaten.
Praeothmin wrote: Seriously though, you don't think that sniping his arguments from afar, things people here decried when it was done to SFJ from SDN, is actually arguing?
People are debating his conclusions here, where it's safe and no rebuttal might come, while doing it at ASVS would mean Brian Young could defend his views...
Plus, it's not like there are thousands of Warsies over there, Khas is there, and Ty, and they aren't die-hard warsies...

I tried to go into the debate over there, but since my time at home is limited, had to do it in my free time at work, but since the site has been blocked, I can no longer do it...
His positions are ten effing years old. Why not return him the criticism and ask why he has ignored everything? Was he stuck in a vortex for a full decade? That would probably be the best excuse he might provide. :D
I couldn't care less. I paid attention to all things new he had to say. Old stuff is irrelevant as I've seen it's dusty. That he acknowledges TDiC... oh boy, about time! Did he even try to rationalize it though, or was he just saying "OK, it happened"? Over the past years here I think we had like two or three threads about TDiC and some ideas were suggested as to make that weird outlier something that could have indeed happened in a ST world not so awesome. Now, should SFJN members repeat all of this or would they be allowed to let BY read those threads first at least?
I have no reason to waste my time repeating the sum of work done over a period of ten years merely because BY didn't stick his head out of whatever hole he was hiding in and realize that life was really different outside of SDN.
Even before he want to ASVS, when he started to argue on Stargate, about 9/10s and plus of what he was saying was grossly incorrect. I demonstrated that his methods were identical to plain dishonesty (because I wasn't nasty enough to call him an idiot since that was the only other option possible). He had an idea, and then all of the evidence either had to fit that premise, or be ditched. Literally. Like Connor does for 40K you know. Same place, same spirit.
If you wish to verify what I say, I'm giving you the link to the thread:
http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... f=4&t=1685
You'll see that his "mistakes" were absurdly easy to avoid, and that his cherry picking was massive. Like pulsar massive.

Why didn't he join here? SFJN has (or had) more members than ASVS, has more data than ASVS, had more activity (until a certain point post-SWST / good job letting a troll wreck the place).
ASVS was an experiment and by his own admin's admission, it's been deemed a failure, and subsequently altered to work like... SFJN.
Why the redundancy?
do you really think swst 'wrecked the place'? before he came, i hadn't posted here in more than a year because nothing was happening and it was BORING. now that he's gone, it's pretty much as it was before. NOTHING HAPPENS.
regardless of his real identity, it was a fun war.
Last edited by mojo on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 pm

maybe i should invite my other brother over.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:44 am

mojo wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Why didn't he join here? SFJN has (or had) more members than ASVS, has more data than ASVS, had more activity (until a certain point post-SWST / good job letting a troll wreck the place).
ASVS was an experiment and by his own admin's admission, it's been deemed a failure, and subsequently altered to work like... SFJN.
Why the redundancy?
do you really think swst 'wrecked the place'? before he came, i hadn't posted here in more than a year because nothing was happening and it was BORING. now that he's gone, it's pretty much as it was before. NOTHING HAPPENS.
regardless of his real identity, it was a fun war.
Yes, he did strain this place. There clearly was more activity than there is now. Yes, this board has always been a low activity one, but there's a difference. Remove the jasonb's odd claims and you'd see that there'd be like near-zero activity here. It wasn't the case before SWST, and before SWST, there wasn't jasonb either.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:13 am

Khas wrote:He acknowledges TDiC, and says we should take what happened in that episode at face value.
While working on the assumption that disruptors are antimatter weapons just because they leave small amounts of antiparticles behind. You'd think Brian would know that there are a smurf load of things that create antimatter in small amounts. Thunderstorms create antimatter for crying out loud.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:50 am

Lucky wrote:
Khas wrote:He acknowledges TDiC, and says we should take what happened in that episode at face value.
While working on the assumption that disruptors are antimatter weapons just because they leave small amounts of antiparticles behind. You'd think Brian would know that there are a smurf load of things that create antimatter in small amounts. Thunderstorms create antimatter for crying out loud.
Stars, as I heard.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Lucky wrote: While working on the assumption that disruptors are antimatter weapons just because they leave small amounts of antiparticles behind. You'd think Brian would know that there are a smurf load of things that create antimatter in small amounts. Thunderstorms create antimatter for crying out loud.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Stars, as I heard.
Stars do produce antimatter:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... -bomb.html

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... osmos.html

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/feature-stori ... discovers/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 151933.htm

But so do Thunder Storms:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... ntimatter/

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:37 am

Bump.

Remember how I mentioned the whole "ASVS is becoming a nuthouse" thing? Well, guess who showed up? Vympel. That's right. I immediately recognized where this was going, and pointed out his behavior on Spacebattles as a clue for what we might expect.

Not to mention the time I showed the Rebuttals to Brian's claims (mostly about the ICS, but I think about the Minbari as well), all I got was a reply from scvn2812 that said "That is as vile as vile can be without being 4chan".

I'm serious.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Khas wrote:Bump.

Remember how I mentioned the whole "ASVS is becoming a nuthouse" thing? Well, guess who showed up? Vympel. That's right. I immediately recognized where this was going, and pointed out his behavior on Spacebattles as a clue for what we might expect.

Not to mention the time I showed the Rebuttals to Brian's claims (mostly about the ICS, but I think about the Minbari as well), all I got was a reply from scvn2812 that said "That is as vile as vile can be without being 4chan".

I'm serious.
Do you think you could link to some of the threads in question?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Khas wrote:Bump.

I'm serious.
You mean scvn2812 was insulting you or was he reacting to someone's else replies?
I barely read ASVS so I'm not sure what's going on...

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:02 pm

It was reacting to someone else.