Star Wars movie wiki

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Picard
Starship Captain

Star Wars movie wiki

Post by Picard » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:03 am

I got fed up with having to find movie needle in EU haystick on Wookiepedia, so I started Star Wars movie wiki here. I'd like if you can add something to the wiki.

Starship Captain

Re: Star Wars movie wiki

Post by 2046 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:36 am

I love it! Great idea and it looks to be a decent execution so far.

Feel free to pilfer anything you want off of http://www.nolettershome.info . . . as much as I would love to do more with it, I haven't had the time and doubt I will for awhile.

My only point of departure is that while I certainly agree in principle with the rigid view of ship nomenclature (e.g. Republic Star Destroyer (or even more properly given the TCW usage, "Jedi cruiser") versus Venator Class Star Destroyer), I actually do relent and use the non-canon names for a couple of reasons:

1. It's bloody hard to do otherwise and be readily understood by the fanbase.
2. I do the same for Star Trek . . . I mean, how else would we describe the New Orleans Class?

Now sure, if push came to shove, the non-canon name has to go out the window. But for day-to-day operations I don't think it does much harm.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:33 am

Wait, couldn't we also add TFU, seeing as Lucas was directly involved in that?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:01 pm

2046 wrote:I love it! Great idea and it looks to be a decent execution so far.

Feel free to pilfer anything you want off of http://www.nolettershome.info . . . as much as I would love to do more with it, I haven't had the time and doubt I will for awhile.

My only point of departure is that while I certainly agree in principle with the rigid view of ship nomenclature (e.g. Republic Star Destroyer (or even more properly given the TCW usage, "Jedi cruiser") versus Venator Class Star Destroyer), I actually do relent and use the non-canon names for a couple of reasons:

1. It's bloody hard to do otherwise and be readily understood by the fanbase.
2. I do the same for Star Trek . . . I mean, how else would we describe the New Orleans Class?

Now sure, if push came to shove, the non-canon name has to go out the window. But for day-to-day operations I don't think it does much harm.
I still hold that non-canon information should not be in main section, however some non-canon information might be added into "Trivia" section on pages. As I see it, doing otherwise would defeat purpose of wiki, and be hypocritical.

As for "Jedi cruiser", it strikes me as more of an informal usage, something like nicknames for real life weapons (such as Katjusha being named "Stalin's organs").

EDIT: Redirect pages may be good solution, to make page called "Venator class Star Destroyer" redirect to "Republic Star Destroyer".
Khas wrote:Wait, couldn't we also add TFU, seeing as Lucas was directly involved in that?
Certainly we could, but that depends on Lucas' views of it. Fact that Lucas was involved with something doesn't mean it's canon, although it most likely is.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:53 am

So, with apologies, I have sort of ganked your idea, here, though I didn't realize it until just now when searching for an old NoLettersHome-related thread to necro.

I am back to work on NoLettersHome.Info after a three-and-a-half year hiatus, then a flurry of work early last year that stalled. Owing to various factors (such as, obviously, the end of TCW) the concept has been expanded to the movies, novelizations, and future canon works.

Currently I am rewriting the old pages, not only into wiki format but also using a new template style which will allow for the use of a system that can maintain up-to-date pages dynamically on topics like particular ships or specific objects, materials, planets, et cetera. I am also lavishing attention on the Karen Traviss TCW novelization.

You may appreciate the fact that it even includes the whole naming aspect that you used. I am allowing the StarWars.com Encyclopedia names for things not identified in the scripts or novelizations, but "Venator" is decidedly absent from it, for example. "Republic Attack Cruiser" seems to be the norm . . . I consider "Jedi cruiser" a colloquialism.

As an example of the dynamic pages, here is an example using the only two pages currently using the latest template, neither of which is complete. The episode/whatever names are clickable and there is a table of contents at the top. The problem is that for large topics (such as the Attack Cruiser is likely to become), this technique will be somewhat cumbersome, as the generated page will be the below times like 100.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (novelization)

General Ship Info

Ch. 2: The supporting cruiser Hunter is dispatched for supplies

Other Ship Notes

Ch. 7: Aboard the Jedi cruiser, clones were sitting on ammo crates, which presumably explains what a lot of those boxes are we always see.

"Downfall of a Droid"(TCW1)
General Ship Info

One of the three attack cruisers sports a red-painted bridge exterior. Judging by the initial zoom in on another ship at the beginning of the episode, however, this was possibly not Anakin's command ship, which would leave the red paint a mystery.

Ship Defense

Ship Shields

The early CGI work of this episode features the use of blue shield flashes when enemy weapons strike the Republic cruisers. Only a damaged Republic cruiser has fireballs on her hull, a clue that her shields are weakened or down.
The trick I have to try to maintain, then, is to avoid unnecessary mentions of things, and only go over new data in an episode or other work. The other trick is to follow my somewhat exhaustive episode template which is how the whole thing works.

(I could've used a tagging system where I could just do a write-up of each episode and then tag the ever-loving mess out of each piece, but it seemed easier in the long run to do it this way.)

Unlike a normal wiki this one is pretty locked down, as I don't want prying eyes able to see every little revision, special wiki page, and such, and I sure don't want free edit capability given the behavior of certain folks previously.

I've also carved out a spot for articles like volumetrics pages, et cetera. There's a lot of Star Wars canon information on ST-v-SW.Net such as the power generation page and so on.