Alyeska: Fired or resigned as SB.com moderator?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:04 am

Nonamer wrote:Trekkies seems to comprise almost entirely of Alyeska and a few others who think just like him. Many people at SB.com have derided Alyeska's moderation style regarding ST vs SW in the Vs. forum. I've talked to over a dozen people myself who think this way of him. In fact Alyeska's biasness was one of the main reasons he lost his mod status, something he pretty much admitted himself.
Lying is unbecoming. What you failed to mention is that I got laid off from SB.com the same time half a dozen other mods from several of the forums got laid off. Of course that hasn't stopped you about spinning the truth in a different light. And of course I never said any such thing. I dare you to even provide quotes to back up your claim.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:04 pm

Alyeska wrote:
Nonamer wrote:Trekkies seems to comprise almost entirely of Alyeska and a few others who think just like him. Many people at SB.com have derided Alyeska's moderation style regarding ST vs SW in the Vs. forum. I've talked to over a dozen people myself who think this way of him. In fact Alyeska's biasness was one of the main reasons he lost his mod status, something he pretty much admitted himself.
Lying is unbecoming. What you failed to mention is that I got laid off from SB.com the same time half a dozen other mods from several of the forums got laid off. Of course that hasn't stopped you about spinning the truth in a different light. And of course I never said any such thing. I dare you to even provide quotes to back up your claim.
Are you fucking serious? Do you not remember this post of yours at all?

http://forum.spacebattles.com/showpost. ... ostcount=1
Alyeska wrote: Passing on the torch
The VS forum has a long history with SB.com. In effect it was the first forum that SB.com ever had. Johan created movies solely for the purpose of VS spacebattles and everyone wanted to debate the subject. Times have changed and the paradigm has shifted more then once.

In the last few years the general consensus is that the VS forum had started to suffer a rot. The reasons were many and varied, they were also heavily debated. Last summer I was given the opportunity to help change things and I was tasked with cleaning up the VS forum. Some agreed, some didn't. Either way, the VS forum has changed significantly, and most saw it for the better. As the VS forum changed, the methods of moderating it had to change. I was unwilling or unable to change with it. My time as a VS forum mod has passed. This is rather evident in the last month or so from a few high level disagreements I've had with the rest of the administration.

I am not so short sighted that I couldn't see what was comming. My time was comming to and end. Rather then desperately cling to something and hold on to the bitter end, I find it better to bow out.

The VS forum needs new blood yet again. Someone who is known for his integrity, his inteligence. A veteran of many years in the VS forum and about as uncontroversial as they come.

Everyone should welcome Skyzeta, the newest VS forum mod. He should do an excelent job and I hope that everyone here gives him the respect that he truly deserves.

I myself will not be going away entirely. I am going to retain duties in the Tech Debate forum, but my time with the VS debates has concluded.

Anyways, lets give Skyzeta a warm welcome.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Alyeska wrote:I resigned that position. The admins never asked me to leave that position nor did they ever bring up that issue. I left on my own accord.
So the major disagreements you had with higher mods had nothing to with it? BTW the tech board doesn't really need a mod given it's lack of activity.
Last edited by Nonamer on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:32 pm

Nonamer wrote:
Alyeska wrote:I resigned that position. The admins never asked me to leave that position nor did they ever bring up that issue. I left on my own accord.
So the major disagreements you had with higher mods had nothing to with it? FYI the tech board doesn't really need a mod given it's lack of activity.
The disagreements I had were with mods who did not mod the VS forum. I did not have any disagreements with the administrators of SB.com.

And your in agreement with the admins on the Tech forum. Thats why why I was let go, easier to let the VS forum mods handle it.

As it stands, if what you said was true as to my being let go, then why is Skyzeta modding VS forum now? From an exterior point of view we are almost identical in beliefs and approach. Whats more, he has an even larger bias towards Star Wars. The only thing I did different then Sky was I was more actively involved in threads outside of Trek vs Wars and made a point of dealing with the worst trolls from fandoms such as 40K and B5.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:42 pm

Alyeska wrote:
Nonamer wrote:
So the major disagreements you had with higher mods had nothing to with it? FYI the tech board doesn't really need a mod given it's lack of activity.
The disagreements I had were with mods who did not mod the VS forum. I did not have any disagreements with the administrators of SB.com.
Well someone overruled that ban of yours. I believe it was in the April Fool's thread.
And your in agreement with the admins on the Tech forum. Thats why why I was let go, easier to let the VS forum mods handle it.

As it stands, if what you said was true as to my being let go, then why is Skyzeta modding VS forum now? From an exterior point of view we are almost identical in beliefs and approach. Whats more, he has an even larger bias towards Star Wars. The only thing I did different then Sky was I was more actively involved in threads outside of Trek vs Wars and made a point of dealing with the worst trolls from fandoms such as 40K and B5.
You're right, Skyzeta is not much of an improvement over you in many ways. However, he didn't piss as many people off as you did, so in some sense he's better. Speaking of which, didn't you personally appoint Skyzeta as your successor? If true, that hurts your position more than it helps.

And they did appoint another mod, Thanatos, who's definitely more impartial than either you or Skyzeta.

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:47 pm

Nonamer wrote:Well someone overruled that ban of yours. I believe it was in the April Fool's thread.
Yes, a single ban. Thats not the same thing as what you were claiming.
You're right, Skyzeta is not much of an improvement over you in many ways. However, he didn't piss as many people off as you did, so in some sense he's better. Speaking of which, didn't you personally appoint Skyzeta as your successor? If true, that hurts your position more than it helps.
He didn't anger people because he didn't do some of the things I did. I made a point of removing off topic threads from the forum and closing down stupid threads. This is a function of a moderator doing their job. I had the most complaints from people based on issues not even related to the VS debates. What they were angry about was my enforcing the policies I was asked to enforce.

That Skyzeta is a chosen replacement helps completely. It shows that my actions had absolutely nothing to do with my stepping down as my replacement is largely similar.
And they did appoint another mod, Thanatos, who's definitely more impartial than either you or Skyzeta.
Who is already being called a Pro-Wars debater by the very same people who accused me of being Pro-Wars.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:59 pm

Alyeska wrote:Yes, a single ban. Thats not the same thing as what you were claiming.
It had to be a supermod or admin. Either way, someone or some group above had a problem with your moderating. Your statements following the incident clearly suggests that you were no longer welcome as mod, or at the very least there was some serious disagreement with your behavior.
He didn't anger people because he didn't do some of the things I did. I made a point of removing off topic threads from the forum and closing down stupid threads. This is a function of a moderator doing their job. I had the most complaints from people based on issues not even related to the VS debates. What they were angry about was my enforcing the policies I was asked to enforce.

That Skyzeta is a chosen replacement helps completely. It shows that my actions had absolutely nothing to do with my stepping down as my replacement is largely similar.
Who even wrote the specific rules for the vs. board? Wasn't it you? And the rest of the mods don't care enough about the vs. board to pay much attention about these things, unless it gets out of hand. The fact that you appointed a pro-SW replacer questions your claims to be impartial, which hurts your credibility significantly.
Who is already being called a Pro-Wars debater by the very same people who accused me of being Pro-Wars.
Who ironically disagreed greatly with your treatment of SW. He's no Pro-Trek wanker, but he's far from you too.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:06 pm

This has been split. For the record, you need to remain polite to each other.

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:13 am

Nonamer wrote:It had to be a supermod or admin. Either way, someone or some group above had a problem with your moderating. Your statements following the incident clearly suggests that you were no longer welcome as mod, or at the very least there was some serious disagreement with your behavior.
A single ban over turned and suddenly there is massive disagreement. So much disagreement they saw fit to fire me on the spot with an anouncement. Oh, wait, they didn't.
Who even wrote the specific rules for the vs. board? Wasn't it you? And the rest of the mods don't care enough about the vs. board to pay much attention about these things, unless it gets out of hand. The fact that you appointed a pro-SW replacer questions your claims to be impartial, which hurts your credibility significantly.
I wrote most of the rules with the input and suggestions from every mod on SB.com. Rules don't get written on a whim. I got the approval of the other staff members. And notice that the rules haven't been withdrawn.
Who ironically disagreed greatly with your treatment of SW. He's no Pro-Trek wanker, but he's far from you too.
You can't make the leap can you. That the same people bitch about his treatment is an indication that the people you are using to judge me are not the best sources.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 am

As it stands, if what you said was true as to my being let go, then why is Skyzeta modding VS forum now? From an exterior point of view we are almost identical in beliefs and approach. Whats more, he has an even larger bias towards Star Wars.
So then, if you do have a bias towards SW, doesn't that mean that you are a Pro-Wars debater?

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:30 am

Praeothmin wrote:
As it stands, if what you said was true as to my being let go, then why is Skyzeta modding VS forum now? From an exterior point of view we are almost identical in beliefs and approach. Whats more, he has an even larger bias towards Star Wars.
So then, if you do have a bias towards SW, doesn't that mean that you are a Pro-Wars debater?
If I had a bias towards SW, yes. That question is entirely irrelevant as I don't have a bias towards SW.

I was describing in terms that Skyzeta favors Star Wars more then I do and from an external perspective some people (always newer members) have confused me for supporting Star Wars as well. Skyzeta is known to be a Star Wars fan and clearly favors Star Wars more then I do. Therefor any perceived bias (I was speaking from the potential viewpoint of others on the board) Skyzeta will be more so. This was to point out the fatal flaw in Nonamers argument. He claims my bias towards Wars or against Trek (since he is in effect accusing me of not being a Trekkie) is the primary reason I was fired. And yet someone with an even more apparent bias was picked up as a replacement.

And some more fun. Nonamer has made it clear he considers any mod horribly biased if they don't agree with Trek. He doesn't like Skyzeta because he is a Warsie. He didn't like my being a mod because he thought I was against Trek. Apparently only Trekkies can mod Trek vs Wars in his book. When you get do to it I was about about as unbiased as you could get on the subject because I would deal with both sides equally for the same reasons. Someone with a clear support and bias towards one franchise over the other is going to have more baggage.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 am

Victoria Posh: "I love my husband, but I really hate balls games"
Blair's controversial wishlist for 2008
Discover our exclusive Swimsuit Collection for this summer!
New Hampshire scientists believe pork eyes can make your kids happier
Read on our special guide for low cost hosting on page 14!
And the Top 10 ways to rent your house for the next months

The titles are getting better and better! :D

That said, since I can speak to Alyeska...

Is there any plan to bring Stargate Tech Center back, by any chance?
It was a loss when it went away.
I didn't agree with everything, but it was really nice though.

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Victoria Posh: "I love my husband, but I really hate balls games"
Blair's controversial wishlist for 2008
Discover our exclusive Swimsuit Collection for this summer!
New Hampshire scientists believe pork eyes can make your kids happier
Read on our special guide for low cost hosting on page 14!
And the Top 10 ways to rent your house for the next months

The titles are getting better and better! :D

That said, since I can speak to Alyeska...

Is there any plan to bring Stargate Tech Center back, by any chance?
It was a loss when it went away.
I didn't agree with everything, but it was really nice though.
Time and money. Such a website takes time and dedication. It also takes money. Unfortunately such things are not in high quantities at the moment.

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 am

surely each moderator on such forum has a position. "Pro-Wars debater" in NOT an insult. Point is much more normal MODERATING.

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:37 am

SailorSaturn13 wrote:
surely each moderator on such forum has a position. "Pro-Wars debater" in NOT an insult. Point is much more normal MODERATING.
Normally, no. However, these people are using it as an insult towards their moderating capabilities.