Most vicious fanbases? Most Loud mouthed?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Most vicious fanbases? Most Loud mouthed?

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:22 pm

You're arguing, mojo, and ignoring that Dr. Strange can prevent an omnipotent, or nigh-omnipotent artifact from killing him, an artifact that had killed/destroyed/vaporized/annihilated some of the most powerful beings in the MU, so he's not "just" a human...

Anyway, start a thread in the "others debates" section if you want to argue this...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Praeothmin wrote:You're arguing, mojo, and ignoring that Dr. Strange can prevent an omnipotent, or nigh-omnipotent artifact from killing him, an artifact that had killed/destroyed/vaporized/annihilated some of the most powerful beings in the MU, so he's not "just" a human...

Anyway, start a thread in the "others debates" section if you want to argue this...
you read comics back in the old days..who was more crazy broken power wise Stephen Strange or DC's Kent Nelson?

because I seen a few scans of Pc Superman looking like he just shat his pants when the guy just arrives on the scene much less does anything

Picard wrote:Vicious? SDN-ers, based on what I heard... ehm, read about them.

Loud Mouthed? Star Wars wankers and F22 Raptor wankers.
really?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 pm

I didn't read much DC, never was fond of their Heroes except for Superman and Batman...

In the words of Rajesh Kootrapali of "Big Bang Theory":
"Aquaman sucks donkey balls!"

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:01 am

Praeothmin wrote:You're arguing, mojo, and ignoring that Dr. Strange can prevent an omnipotent, or nigh-omnipotent artifact from killing him, an artifact that had killed/destroyed/vaporized/annihilated some of the most powerful beings in the MU, so he's not "just" a human...

are you a mod again? if yes, warn me officially. if no, well, you can figure it out. i don't take orders from regular members of the board. jesus, i don't take orders from mike.
also, don't bring up arguments against me and then scold me not to argue. that's ridiculous and stupid.
and there's nothing to argue. there's nothing to ignore. i said at the beginning it was retarded to argue versus the death note. IT KILLS ANY HUMAN WHOSE NAME IS WRITTEN IN IT. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE DEATH NOTE.
and for the record, HE'S A HUMAN. give me a break. you don't get to make up new regulations the death note has to follow. i don't care what his power level is, if he's a human the death note can kill him. if you have some evidence related to the death note showing that there is EVER a situation in which it is unable to kill a human for any reason that could conceivably make a difference here, we can talk. without that, you lose unequivocally every time. and no such evidence exists. trust me.
so, for the last time, never bring dn into a vs. debate. it can't lose against a human, and no being regardless of power can defeat a shinigami. the fact you're arguing this makes it look like you're arguing from complete ignorance. here's the only thing that needs to be said to show your argument is pointless - was this 'nigh-omnipotent artifact' the death note? no? then it DOESN'T MATTER, exactly as none of the other arguments matter.
we have a very interesting situation here in which a group of people who argued that the death note can do exactly what it has been shown to be capable of doing and has been stated to be capable of doing are being called irrational debaters. this doesn't work. there is no evidence whatsoever that shows the death note as incapable of killing any human. SO ARGUING FOR THE DEATH NOTE IN THIS THREAD MAKES COMPLETE SENSE, AS IT PERTAINS DIRECTLY TO THE POINT OF THE THREAD. i will not make a new thread just to show that something claimed in this one is wrong.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:27 am

Mojo you miss the point preao and I were trying to convey

your dealing with defenses so potent that Strange can literally say "screw your rules" and sit there sipping tea or "screw your rules I'm channeling the power of the living tribunal write my name now biatch!!"

and then blow up the entire shinigami realm for the lulz

... and the sad part is he's done both before (blowing up pocket universes and channeling the powers of the LT)

or just sit there and laugh as Light suffers a mental break down failing due to failing to kill him

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:31 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:Mojo you miss the point preao and I were convey

your dealing with defenses so potent that Strange can literally saw "screw your rules I'm channeling the power of the living tribunal write my now biatch!!"

and then blow up the entire shinigami realm for the lulz

... and the sad part is he's done both before (blowing up pocket universes and channeling the powers of the LT)

or just sit there and laugh as Light suffers a mental break down failing due to failing to kill him
clearly we're not going to make headway here. the death note is not a magical attack. the Death Note annotation literally changes the course of a person's True Destiny. It would be utterly inescapable. The idea is traceable to Japan's Shinto heritage: The book makes a person an "Onmiyoji": A master of Yin and Yang who knows the names of the universe and can, therefore, change them. An Onmiyoji would perform feats of magic by literally rewriting an objects destiny. Say, he took a rock and rewrote it's name so that it contained the character that universally means "Fire". Suddenly he has lava. that kind of thing. I don't see the "note" being evadable.
do you see? it's not a bigger hammer. it's not an attack. it is literally the remaking of a human's destined death. no amount of magic would be able to stop it because magic and power are irrelevant to the note. EVERYTHING except the target being a human being is irrelevant to the note. you know i have no interest in arguing with you, breetai. i have expressed my point to the best of my ability and am incapable of agreeing with you, so i'm going to stop here.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:39 am

i have to ask, though. how do you even start that debate? when strange defended himself, he knew at the very least that someone was attacking him. if light yagami simply wrote 'stephen strange' in the notebook and strange had no notice of it happening, how could he conceivably raise a defense in the first place?
'stephen strange dies peacefully with no pain of a heart attack immediately after i finish writing this entry. he never has the slightest idea it's coming.'
boom. headshot.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:56 am

maybe we can just agree that, at the very least, the idea that the death note could kill dr. strange is not irrational or worthy of mockery, that an understanding of the death note universe lends the idea a perfectly logical basis for argument. then, we can throw whether or not the dn could do it to the wayside as it would no longer matter for the purposes of this thread.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:29 am

I don't know anything about comics. Is that death note some kind of spell/tag that a being can stick to or paint onto someone so that the fates will make that being die no matter what?
Then, wouldn't a propel counter be a life note, a note of eternal life, or a note of normal life, or a note of improbability that makes fates impossible to predict, random, and thus nullifies the certainty of death?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:43 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I don't know anything about comics. Is that death note some kind of spell/tag that a being can stick to or paint onto someone so that the fates will make that being die no matter what?
Then, wouldn't a propel counter be a life note, a note of eternal life, or a note of normal life, or a note of improbability that makes fates impossible to predict, random, and thus nullifies the certainty of death?
that's the point. the note is not a spell or a tag or a magical attack of any kind. it's manga rather than comic book, but the gist is this - the death note is the notebook of a god of death. when a god of death begins to near the end of it's life, it takes it's notebook and writes the name of a human inside. this god of death has special eyes which allow it to see the destined lifespan of a human, and if a human's name is written in this notebook, that human dies and the remainder of the human's destined lifespan is added to the lifespan of the death god (shinigami). this is the important bit - it does not kill by any means that can be seen as an attack or countered in any way, because it takes a human being's literal predestined death and changes it in whatever manner is described in the note. within the universe of death note, there is no other way to alter a person's destined death other than the notebook, and if you're going to debate using the notebook, this must be the case within that debate as it is essential to the workings of the note. if it were possible to defend against the notebook or change your own destined lifespan, then the death note could not possibly work in it's intended fashion, taking the remainder of a human's life and adding it to the lifespan of the shinigami. as long as the shinigami has lifespan, it is absolutely immortal. if a human gets hold of the notebook and writes the names of other humans in it, those humans will die, but the remaining lifespan will not be added to that human's life. this is what i've been saying- it is not an attack. the death note cannot be evaded or countered. it is a literal change in destiny which can't even be changed with another death note. once the entry is made, it is inevitable and unalterable.
i suppose the case could be made that in the marvel universe fate itself can be altered and that strange would have the power to do so, but if we're using the death note in the debate then that doesn't work, because that's not how the death note works, it is directly stated to be absolute in it's abilities. it's an endless string of circular logic on both sides which makes it pointless from the word go.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:23 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I don't know anything about comics. Is that death note some kind of spell/tag that a being can stick to or paint onto someone so that the fates will make that being die no matter what?
DN is like minor scale reality warping that causes a person to die

that's a generic powerset in in marvel dc and image..heck IIRC a few street level guys can pull off similar

your last suggestions was pretty awesome..isn't that essentially what Sun Wu Kung did in Chinese mythology?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:28 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:DN is like minor scale reality warping that causes a person to die
this is again showing ignorance of the basic concept, man. not liking what a thing is does not change it.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:20 pm

@Mojo

I'm sorry I'm just not seeing how DN is not a form of magic/sufficently advanced technology or that Strange couldn't potentially fight against it. Granted I don't see how one could prove Strange could win either but I largely find debates centered around "magic" to be a exercise in futlity anyway.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:26 pm

mojo wrote:

are you a mod again? if yes, warn me officially. if no, well, you can figure it out. i don't take orders from regular members of the board. jesus, i don't take orders from mike.
also, don't bring up arguments against me and then scold me not to argue. that's ridiculous and stupid.
and there's nothing to argue. there's nothing to ignore. i said at the beginning it was retarded to argue versus the death note. IT KILLS ANY HUMAN WHOSE NAME IS WRITTEN IN IT. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE DEATH NOTE.
and for the record, HE'S A HUMAN. give me a break. you don't get to make up new regulations the death note has to follow. i don't care what his power level is, if he's a human the death note can kill him. if you have some evidence related to the death note showing that there is EVER a situation in which it is unable to kill a human for any reason that could conceivably make a difference here, we can talk. without that, you lose unequivocally every time. and no such evidence exists. trust me.
so, for the last time, never bring dn into a vs. debate. it can't lose against a human, and no being regardless of power can defeat a shinigami. the fact you're arguing this makes it look like you're arguing from complete ignorance. here's the only thing that needs to be said to show your argument is pointless - was this 'nigh-omnipotent artifact' the death note? no? then it DOESN'T MATTER, exactly as none of the other arguments matter.
we have a very interesting situation here in which a group of people who argued that the death note can do exactly what it has been shown to be capable of doing and has been stated to be capable of doing are being called irrational debaters. this doesn't work. there is no evidence whatsoever that shows the death note as incapable of killing any human. SO ARGUING FOR THE DEATH NOTE IN THIS THREAD MAKES COMPLETE SENSE, AS IT PERTAINS DIRECTLY TO THE POINT OF THE THREAD. i will not make a new thread just to show that something claimed in this one is wrong.
Holy Crap!
Did you sit on the stick that was up SWST's ass or what?
THE POINT OF THIS THREAD WAS TO AKS WHO WERE THE LOUDEST AND RUDEST DEBATERS, NOT WHETHER WHAT THEY DEBATED WAS RIGHT OR WRONG...
Get it?
It doens't matter whether what they debate is, or even if they were 100% right (they aren't, of course)... ;)
What matters if the way they debate, LIKE IF THEY ALWAYS USE CAPSLOCK, FOR EXAMPLE, OR CALL YOU NAMES BECAUSE THEY CAN'T TAKE YOUR COUNTER-ARGUMENTS, LIKE AT SDN...
So no, arguing on the DN's capabilities has nothing to do with the thread...

And no, I'm not a Mod anymore, and that wasn't an order, it was a suggestion...
SO TAKE SWST'S STICK OUT OF YOUR ASS AND GIVE IT BACK TO THE MAN... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 pm

sonofccn wrote:@Mojo

I'm sorry I'm just not seeing how DN is not a form of magic/sufficently advanced technology or that Strange couldn't potentially fight against it. Granted I don't see how one could prove Strange could win either but I largely find debates centered around "magic" to be a exercise in futlity anyway.
Actually, Mojo's thread with a DN on Mike proves to be an absurd and yet enjoyable in abstract logic.