Split: 2046 v Cock Knocker, round too many

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Split: 2046 v Cock Knocker, round too many

Post by 2046 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:06 am

Cock_Knocker wrote:I can only speak for myself, but these debates aren't as serious in real life as some lead you to believe. In my personal opinion, Mr. Darkstar is a very unstable individual, who I'd never agree to meet in real life.
Well, I guess the no-prior-agreement concept is consistent, at least, since your fantasies of a real-life encounter with me have never included my knowledge beforehand. Nor have you been all that concerned with doing the meeting yourself, content to simply give support to those who have tried to carry the disputes offline (i.e. to my workplace, home, et cetera).

I do find it quite telling, though, that your only connection to the debate now is me. Let the obsession die, Wayne. You've seen that it doesn't stop me and doesn't slow me down. You've seen that I've won the canon argument, for instance, even despite your best vitriol. Your old ways just don't work. Let it go. You'll be healthier for it.

And yes, some do think the internet is not "real life", as you yourself put it . . . the anonymity of most interactions make some feel free to behave as poorly as they like, thinking it doesn't really matter. Of course, that's ridiculous in reality . . . what one says to others in front of a keyboard is just as real as what one says to others on the phone or in person.

This fundamental misunderstanding of the internet, wherein it's some magic Unimatrix Zero dreamland, just doesn't fly. But, that rationale does explain why SDNers deride those who, like JMS, seek to re-add at least a modicum of class to their discussion boards by not serving Debate Flambé.

Your belief that I am unstable is based in part on the fact that I take online and offline threats from you guys somewhat seriously, and call you to the carpet for your behavior. Certainly you guys having employed personal harassment, threats of torture and murder, and so on is going a bit far for a debate which isn't "as serious in real life as some lead you to believe", don't you think?

And yet you wonder why I reacted so.

Certainly there are several of the dirty-dozen-or-so like you that have sufficient motive . . . I break your favorite toy, and most of you are functionally psychotic, which makes a bad combination. And as a rule, many of you have the means, if you'd put down the ICS book and get some pants on. It's just that most of you don't have the opportunity, because most of the ones who are as obsessed about me as you live too far away to do much about it.

But then, it would only take one of you or your sycophants living close enough or going batty enough to bring the psychosis to my doorstep, forcing me to exercise the delightfully broad self-defense laws of my state.

And yet you wonder why I compartmentalize my internet activities and share nothing on ST-v-SW.Net or elsewhere of my offline activities.

(Which, of course, is why you fellows started your campaign to begin with, since you became aware of someone who did have the opportunity and means, though a different motive. As Kynes put it, any tactic which might lead to success in the debate was valid, so his preference which you shared was terror and intimidation. It even worked for a little while, too.

Once that person was taken care of and I was back to my old habits, though, is when you and your allies took to the personal harassment and additional threats. Same old pattern time and again, against me and, as time passed, many others.

And yet you seem surprised that, given that it's been my life and liberty being considered optional by you people, that I would not only be the expert on the topic of what you people have said and done, but that I'd be more than a little annoyed.)

In any case, I will quite happily grant that, so far as I can recall, I haven't received any direct threats for several months. I'd love to be able to say I pointed out the bad behavior and you people saw the light, but I think it's mostly just that Karen Traviss, Gary Sarli, and others have provided adequate distractions.

I will let you in on a little secret, though. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, and any public community like SDN will feature a certain laxity of security, even among the Talifan. That is to say, my compartmentalization of activities, developed due to the bad behavior of you and yours, is not something you guys have been as careful about.

Or, more to the point, terrorism can have a nasty habit of fostering more of it against those who began it, like a sort of more direct karma. I've hinted at that before but you guys didn't seem to get it.

So yes, as I've mentioned before, I have more than a few things saved about the members who I've considered security risks to me, just for my own records. Keeping tabs on you guys while looking for idiot-proofings to my pages is a cheap sort of homeland security. And like Kynes before me, I can google, too. I considered it precautionary, though I seem to recall you trying to pull some anti-chronological spin-doctoring on my prior hints and claim I'd been stalking you guys, thus you were morally okay (since, of course, Japan attacked Pearl Harbor because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

The point I was hinting at, though, is that more than once I've had opportunity to do something naughty to the worst of you. Means was there, and there was at least a bit of motive. In your case, for example . . . and here we return to the karmic thing . . . there was a very simple maneuver I could've made which would've adversely affected your employment. It would've required nothing on my part but an anonymous e-mail with a URL . . . not even as much effort as some of your members have spent trying to call my workplace or home.

I can't take full credit for the idea, of course . . . I got it from one of your compatriots who once spoke of doing the same to me.

Motive was there. After all, the more that distracts you and yours from your obsession with me, the more secure I am.

But at the time, your obsession seemed on the wane (no pun intended), and besides which some of the possible results would've given you a lot more time on your hands. Which, given the obsession, was not preferable.

And, frankly, I mostly just didn't want to feel as dirty and soulless as you do every day. So, I decided against it.

(And no, there's no danger now, nor threat implied here . . . you can make stupid videos all day long for all I care. While I might mention you in a 'rumors about the author' sort of page on ST-v-SW that I've pondered from time to time, that's about the worst you can expect from me in the current climate.)

This returns us to the point of the thread. Be glad I'm not who you try to pretend I am, but understand that psychotic Talifanism could end up creating exactly what you want to imagine in people. The ""miss manners" attitude" you deride is called civility, and with ASVS and SDN we've seen what a lack of it produces. It poisons the well of discourse. It evolves into a groupthink where shameful and sometimes illegal activity is considered okay, since activities that civilized people consider reprehensible become more normal in the groupthink subculture.

And yet it's had definite effects. You reap what you sow. The Talifan behavior has seemingly stripped Saxton of significant further opportunity with Licensing, and could very well have stripped you of opportunities in your own life were it not for my own civility.

Of course, I'm sure you'll simply go batty at this point, run back to SDN and try to spin how evil and wicked I am, and maybe even update the BS on your hate page. After all, you've been part of the groupthink evolution for a decade. You often behave as if you are without worth or value, so the above would follow in that vein.

Or, you could consider the fact that, whether in regards to ST-v-SW.Net or in regards to the more personal contest, the "refreshing" bad manners of ASVS and SDN have only created (or in the latter case, almost-created) the very nemesis you pretended and sought to destroy.

The SDN way just doesn't work. It seems to pay off in the short term because it appears to the subculture that they have vanquished their enemies, but all they really do is annoy people and marginalize themselves.

Think about it.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:29 pm

2046 wrote:And yet it's had definite effects. You reap what you sow. The Talifan behavior has seemingly stripped Saxton of significant further opportunity with Licensing, and could very well have stripped you of opportunities in your own life were it not for my own civility.
There are definate opportunities for advancement, such as ith those that like using things like 120,000 LY SWG, the sun crusher, galaxy gun. With things such as this standing beside other things in the EU, such as very weak shields and weapons fire, there are still many opportunities.

Honestly, do any of us really, truly think that this will be the end of the SW movies? I think in our heart of hearts, most of us know that there will be more somewhere down the line, either by Lucas or someone else. More ICSs will be made, so there's still plenty of oppotunity to get stuff into higher canon. Look at Stover, he crammed as much EU into his novel and there are many things that Lucas signed off on. One day, we may see things, like a sun crusher or a galaxy gun in the film canon.

But, I wish the line item vetoed EU stuff was available to see what Lucas didn't want in the novel.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:27 am

2046 wrote:Certainly there are several of the dirty-dozen-or-so like you that have sufficient motive . . . I break your favorite toy, and most of you are functionally psychotic, which makes a bad combination. And as a rule, many of you have the means, if you'd put down the ICS book and get some pants on.
I do consider that to qualify as impolite and worth warning for under this board's standards. Calling people functionally psychotic and telling them to put their pants on is not precisely apropos.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:59 am

No problem. I knew that pants-tastic part was PG-13 at the very best.

Cock_Knocker
Bridge Officer

Post by Cock_Knocker » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Did you say something, Robert? Oh yes....you "won" the canon argument....again. Kind of amusing how your followers have failed to notice how you've ever so subtley re-defined your original position from "The films are the only legitimate Star Wars" to "The films are one real Star Wars timeline, and the complete universe is another" with regards to Chee's latest dance around a direct answer.

What else...oh yes...hysterical rantings about people attacking you at your home and workplace. Something that has never happened, outside of MKSheppard calling your office and asking you a question. Then of course, you hint at the TGOD thing which you seem to believe is a factual Clancy-esque plan to "get" you.

So that must mean...you actually do refer to flip-books of the Star Wars movies because you can't afford videotapes, that you live in a slum with crates for chairs, etc.

I mean, this must be true, right? And just a reminder once again, Dark Moose, the character of Darkstar didn't die in that TGOD story. In fact, I wrote a sequel (and since I'm the original author, its canon as all hell. You can't ask Chee about this one, though.) where we find good ol' Darkstar is yes, still alive and relatively well. You can read it here.

But then, death threats and Bond-like conspiracies against your life are nothing new. You were knee-deep in those kind of adventures way before you even joined ASVS. Yes, you say that we at SD.net are delusional about fantasy "threats" not having repercussions in 'the real world', but at least I haven't made a public statement that my real life enemies have been "neutralized". Also, I don't seem to recall ever telling to anyone to remove a website or, "I will find you. This is not a threat."

Can you say the same, oh sane one? No, no you can't. I mean, even in this very thread, you say:
2046 wrote:Once that person was taken care of,
Uh huh. And people wonder why I'd decline meeting you in person. You further stuff your bed of hypocrisy by veiled threats of sending URLs to my workplace. A call placed to your office (not by me) asking you an innocuous question which had no threat to your job whatsoever validates your fantasy 'poisonous URL', eh?

How much Windex do you need to buy monthy to clean that glass menagerie of yours?

One thing you're right about, (Hey, even a broken clock is right at least twice a day) is that you're definitely back burner stuff, now that Traviss and Dark Moose are out to retcon the truth of what happened to her (or more accurately, didn't) on TFN, and what is and never was in any version of "Talifan!".

Anyway, I won't "go batty" (Using your alleged sanity as a referent, I can't imagine how crazy that must be) but I'll point this exchange out on SD.net. You should know by now that one of the things I enjoy most is laughing at you with my buddies.

P.S. From your comment:
2046 wrote:. . . you can make stupid videos all day long for all I care.
I take it you don't like the "The Last Bastion" movies? Now that hurts. I honestly, at one point, considered asking you to voice the character of Captain Anderson. But then I thought, 'Nahh...he might take it as a threat to his life in the 24th century..."

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:50 pm

Cock_Knocker wrote:Did you say something, Robert? Oh yes....you "won" the canon argument....again. Kind of amusing how your followers have failed to notice how you've ever so subtley re-defined your original position from "The films are the only legitimate Star Wars" to "The films are one real Star Wars timeline, and the complete universe is another" with regards to Chee's latest dance around a direct answer.
Saying there's a universe for just the films and another for the films and the EU combined is as direct as you can get. Chee didn't dance around anything.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:58 pm

Is he not allowed to revise his conclusion in light of new evidence? From what I recall of G2k's conclusion on SW canon when I first found his site in early 2005 was that he said that there were two forms of Star Wars, the films (plus related stuff) and the Expanded Universe. Because of Lucas' quotes about two worlds and parallel universes and not carring about what happens in them, he concluded that only the films were canon, but the EU tries to maintain overall continuity. So yes, he has changed his stance somewhat, but it means that he views this as a search for the truth rather than a debate or war.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:15 am

Cock_Knocker wrote:Did you say something, Robert? Oh yes....you "won" the canon argument....again.
Thanks Wayne. Glad you concur. ;)
Kind of amusing how your followers have failed to notice how you've ever so subtley re-defined your original position from "The films are the only legitimate Star Wars" to "The films are one real Star Wars timeline, and the complete universe is another" with regards to Chee's latest dance around a direct answer.
1. Assuming you're using the nebulous phrase "legitimate Star Wars" to refer to "Lucas/LFL canon Star Wars", then no, I've never claimed that only the films are valid. I've noted the inclusion of the novelizations and scripts since at least October of 2002.

2. The notion of the EU being "another" real timeline in its own parallel universe is also on that 2002 page. Phrased differently, the concept was also present (albeit downplayed as largely irrelevant) in the 2003 replacement of the page linked to above, inasmuch as the EU having a continuity of its own.

By 2003, however, I'd developed a very purist attitude. Thus the 2003 page was largely a rejection of Licensing's use of the term "canon", and all the confusion I thought it caused. However, I still quite happily acknowledged that they had their own continuity.

It was only circa the beginning of '05 that I finally got around to the rewrite that heavily emphasized the paradigm shift in my thinking regarding two separate canons.

So interestingly, I guess I sort of came full circle. Thanks Wayne . . . I might not've ever really paid attention to that otherwise.
What else...oh yes...hysterical rantings about people attacking you at your home and workplace. Something that has never happened, outside of MKSheppard calling your office and asking you a question.
So since I didn't update you every time I got a call, they didn't happen? Fascinating.

Focusing, then, on that Shep event you misreport, why do you act as if that is okay? Do you think it would be okay for me to call your workplace to talk to you? Do you think it would be okay for your adversaries in a sci-fi debate to publically plan a personal visit to your home, if even only for the purpose of intimidation?

Even Wong has stated that illustrating probably-fatal wounds on one's enemy and displaying this to the enemy constitutes a death threat. And while I'm sure he'd change his tune if I were the illustrated party, don't you concur that at the absolute very best, such behavior is cowardly and evidence of a troubled mind?
Then of course, you hint at the TGOD thing which you seem to believe is a factual Clancy-esque plan to "get" you.
No, it was simply a threat.
So that must mean...you actually do refer to flip-books of the Star Wars movies because you can't afford videotapes, that you live in a slum with crates for chairs, etc.
Yes, Wayne. Those screenshots you see on my website are actually me just holding the flip-book pictures to the inside of your monitor, and that of each and every visitor. It's really quite tiring. I also eat babies and worship Hitler in my tattered clothes, which naturally are stained with things we need not mention.

I am, in fact, the Great Satan. All negative spin about me is correct, and indeed I am far, far worse than your limited imaginations have dared to dream. (Maniacal cackling)
the character of Darkstar didn't die in that TGOD story.
Well, if I were to inform someone that I planned to disembowel them, or perhaps pull their heart from their chest, then death would not appear in that threat either.

Of course, if I were as crafty as a three-year-old, I could even try to deflect heat I was receiving by making a sequel statement that I really just wanted to be a surgeon, or maybe say that I would do those things then take care of the victim in a hospital ward full of happy bunnies.
In fact, I wrote a sequel {...} read it here
Case in point.
You were knee-deep in those kind of adventures way before you even joined ASVS.

Fascinating! By the way, where was I when these things were happening to me?
at least I haven't made a public statement that my real life enemies have been "neutralized".
Scared the shit out of you, didn't it? Such an ominous phrasing, saying that a threat had been neutralized. It leads you to wonder if the harassing, threatening psycho is dead or alive, and, if dead, how . . . and how slowly. . . and in how much pain when it happened.

I must say, I've always enjoyed the public reaction you've had to that. Even through your spin about it, there's always been that nervous air to your statements.

Of course, you've never asked what happened. But that's okay, because I've never offered an answer. I've never suggested that the person was dead. Nor do I suggest that they are currently alive.

I'm always trying to get you to think, Wayne. And if in that case I said something that made you think -- twice, no less -- about your bad behavior, so much the better.
Also, I don't seem to recall ever telling to anyone to remove a website or, "I will find you. This is not a threat."
Ah, your delightful anti-chronological, anti-contextual thinking again. During a time when I was being harassed and threatened by a psychopath, Ian Samuels (aka Kynes) posts all the information he could find about me and my daily whereabouts.

I allowed the intimidation to work, abandoning the Vs. Debate, but noting in the same message that if any harm came to me or my family due to his actions, I would find him.

(Of course, using your logic, I could simply write a sequel to that statement wherein I'd find him, say hi, give him a hug, and tell him "good day!")

But in any case, that's not a threat, Wayne. It's an if-then propositional. For instance, if I told you that if you appeared on my doorstep armed with a bat and with some other violence-minded goons and tried to attack . . . that if that happened I'd surely shoot you down, that's not a threat either. It's a fact, a potential chain of events requiring very specific action on your part to initiate.

Eventually Kynes did remove that site, only to bring it back upon my return to the debate. But by that point it was far, far too late for it to be of any value to the original real-life psycho. It was only of value to psychos from SDN who wanted to harass me offline.
And people wonder why I'd decline meeting you in person.
Perhaps you read too much into my reply, but I certainly wasn't offerring a meeting between us. I mean I know you'd love to, but I just don't feel that way.
You further stuff your bed of hypocrisy by veiled threats of sending URLs to my workplace.
There was no veiled threat Wayne. I don't make threats. Had I wanted to do it I'd have done it years ago when it was available. There would've been no forewarning and no use of it as a bargaining chip or tool of intimidation, which is what a threat generally is used for. It simply would've happened, and the chips would've fallen where they may.

You were one of the primary voices in favor of harassment and threats and what could've easily become more, casting me as the ultimate evil while providing links to contact information, address, et cetera . . . one of the primary enablers, basically, inciting attacks. Thus a pre-emptive/retributive strike was an option on the table.

But, your spin aside, my point in the tale of your workplace was merely to illustrate that while SDN's Talifan subculture might be "refreshing" to a certain type of mind, the pro-harassment, pro-threat mores of that subculture and its de-evolution toward worse and worse behavior means that it is not, in fact, a good thing, whether for those who encounter the subculture or those within it.

Just ask the like-minded, similar-tactics animal rights freaks who are in jail.
P.S. From your comment:
2046 wrote:. . . you can make stupid videos all day long for all I care.
I take it you don't like the "The Last Bastion" movies? Now that hurts. I honestly, at one point, considered asking you to voice the character of Captain Anderson. But then I thought, 'Nahh...he might take it as a threat to his life in the 24th century..."
[/quote]

That's actually quite funny, 'cause I briefly considered offering to do the voice, just for kicks. I'd have enjoyed the irony, and of course I knew you'd relish the chance to put words in my mouth yet again but finally have them be words I'd actually spoken.

But given your reaction to my offer to host your old UVD site that was down for a long time, I didn't figure you'd be interested.

Now see, Wayne? That's another proof of my statements . . . folks could have a lot more fun with all of this if it weren't for all the vitriol that ASVS/SDN culture glorifies.

Cock_Knocker
Bridge Officer

Post by Cock_Knocker » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:21 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:From all the evidence I've seen, I certainly very seriously at this point entertain the possibility of Curtis Saxton being a "closet pro-Wars VS debater", Wayne. I mean, you still to this day haven't been able to provide a real explanation as to why Saxton was involved in what amounted to a VS discussion "behind the scenes" with yourself, Brian Young, and several other prominent pro-Wars persons. All with the apparent intent of making Wars seem better than Trek. I saw the emails, Wayne. I saw the page itself and read the discussions before you killed the links to it. I know for a fact that Robert hasn't made at least some of this stuff up.
So you do accept the fact they he has indeed made portions of the allegations up, then? Now we're getting somewhere.

However, I've completely explained the entire thing here.
So if those exchanges are not what we think it is, then why don't you just post the URL to it here, and be done with it? Why even try to hide it at all?
What URL are you talking about? Its never been a web page. Curtis, along with quite a few other people is part of an email group that existed way before even I had a web page. More than half these people aren't even into Star Wars vs Star Trek. I know for a fact that Curtis doesn't watch Trek, as we have to explain something as mundane as the "Gorn" to him if we want to discuss a Trek episode with him. And as I said before, outside of Star Wars, it appears that Curtis is a Doctor Who fan. I have no idea what else he watches regularly.

The .txt file Darkstar found on my website was an exchange where I was updating my late 1990's pages. Sean was the main one showing me where improvements could be made, and Brian chimed in too. Curtis did as well, but only with subjects he knew, like asterod calculatons, etc.

And that's about it. But then you get someone with too many bats in the belfry concocting a giant conspiracy theory out of crib notes for a webpage update. Pretty sad, if you ask me.
As JMS others here have pointed out, there is a difference between civility and "miss manners", and the SDN way tends more to lead to "groupthink", any truth getting lost in the nastiness.
A very subjective opinion you're entitled to, no matter how incorrect it is.
And there we have to disagree on; Robert is hardly unstable.
You're right. We'll definitely have to disagree.
I have a thread on the remastered "The Doomsday Machine" in the Trek/Wars forum. So far only a handful of people have responded, or even seen the episode, though I did provide a direct link to the YouTube FX reel for people to view and comment on. If you want to discuss that episode, you're more than welcome to participate.
Excellent. I loved it. I'll look it up later tonight.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:36 am

Cock_Knocker wrote:However, I've completely explained the entire thing here.
Ah, yes, that was your response to this.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:09 am

Would you two mind knocking it off? I don't think that this is going anywhere useful.

Thank you.